Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went up to a friend's house in the mountains today and I was surprised to see offender crews burning off a hill side. There wasn't much fire, anything down is still wet from the winter rains. It looked like they were raking everything into piles to get some heat. Both crews were in brand new nomex, very bright orange. It won't be for long.

My son Cody has a full time permanent job with benefits at the university (a 5 minute drive from home) so we didn't sign up as fallers this season with Cal Fire or USFS.

You all finished up on the LP ??

****ing florida...

Does florida realize they are an embarrassment to the rest of the country?

Its not just Florida. Lots of people burn illegal materials.

Had to issue a citation to one lady. Said she didnt need to have a permit to burn on her land that she pays taxes for.

People are people. Careless and selfish.

You all finished up on the LP ??
Nope, not finished. I don't think I ever will be but ever since the rain started I've been on equipment much more the running a chainsaw. The experts said we would have a 76% increase in debris flows in any given drainage over a "normal" year. It had been several years since we had a normal year so I would guess we had a 200% increase in debris flows. The County road into camp was closed for weeks when a major culvert plugged up and the creek overflowed onto the road. The Atmospheric River came right over the top of us and the damage made national news. The County has written us off even though we have taken our case to Washington. Jimmy Panetta is on our side but he is a freshman and doesn't get much attention.

The USFS dirt road is maintained by us and it has taken a beating with debris flows and washouts. Our road is an extension of the LP's road (I don't know the number) and it is in the same shape. The County has just issued a new permit that has us taking down a couple good size redwoods that are hazards. Our contractor has a 966 and a short logger that has been on our property for months now with no way to get them past the worst washout on the County road. He has been talking about have a bucket for the 966, not a slip on but a complete pin-on, flown in by helicopter so he can try to dig himself out. There has been some talk of a flatcar bridge but I don't know how long of a load can make the turns on the County road. BTW the County Supervisor is also a freshman and can just nod and look concerned. She is in WAY over her head. She has a nice clean white hardhat though.

Culverts are pretty expensive too. We need one 60-84" culvert installed. That one culvert job will run the Forest Service about $60,000! Don't EVER put in a plastic culvert where a fire might burn! Stick with CMP regardless of how much more difficult to work with it is.

I'll try some pics later.

Nope, not finished. I don't think I ever will be but ever since the rain started I've been on equipment much more the running a chainsaw. The experts said we would have a 76% increase in debris flows in any given drainage over a "normal" year. It had been several years since we had a normal year so I would guess we had a 200% increase in debris flows. The County road into camp was closed for weeks when a major culvert plugged up and the creek overflowed onto the road. The Atmospheric River came right over the top of us and the damage made national news. The County has written us off even though we have taken our case to Washington. Jimmy Panetta is on our side but he is a freshman and doesn't get much attention.

The USFS dirt road is maintained by us and it has taken a beating with debris flows and washouts. Our road is an extension of the LP's road (I don't know the number) and it is in the same shape. The County has just issued a new permit that has us taking down a couple good size redwoods that are hazards. Our contractor has a 966 and a short logger that has been on our property for months now with no way to get them past the worst washout on the County road. He has been talking about have a bucket for the 966, not a slip on but a complete pin-on, flown in by helicopter so he can try to dig himself out. There has been some talk of a flatcar bridge but I don't know how long of a load can make the turns on the County road. BTW the County Supervisor is also a freshman and can just nod and look concerned. She is in WAY over her head. She has a nice clean white hardhat though.

Culverts are pretty expensive too. We need one 60-84" culvert installed. That one culvert job will run the Forest Service about $60,000! Don't EVER put in a plastic culvert where a fire might burn! Stick with CMP regardless of how much more difficult to work with it is.

I'll try some pics later.
Where abouts you working ? Up by the scout camp
I was mostly on the southern part , above Ventana lodge and to the south on that ridge road down to DP 140 above Rodeo Flats

Culverts are pretty expensive too. We need one 60-84" culvert installed. That one culvert job will run the Forest Service about $60,000! Don't EVER put in a plastic culvert where a fire might burn! Stick with CMP regardless of how much more difficult to work with it is..

SO TRUE. We had a blowout a few years ago on a 36" culvert... which was replaced with two 12" plastic ones. Guess how long that lasted? Yep, 2 years. Guess when it's gonna get replaced? Yep, no time soon.

SO TRUE. We had a blowout a few years ago on a 36" culvert... which was replaced with two 12" plastic ones. Guess how long that lasted? Yep, 2 years. Guess when it's gonna get replaced? Yep, no time soon.

They replaced one 36" with two 12"s? That must have made sense to somebody. Probably somebody with an engineering degree. Scary thought.

Where abouts you working ? Up by the scout camp
I was mostly on the southern part , above Ventana lodge and to the south on that ridge road down to DP 140 above Rodeo Flats

I'm working from Botcher's Gap campground on the LPF down into Pico Blanco Scout Reservation (DP38). The first half of the road belongs to the USFS, the second half is ours. About 2 mile each section. Doesn't sound like much but with the Sobranes fire and this monstrous winter I am having to clear slide areas several times. We have one major creek crossing that I have spent half my time on. It has a 36" culvert that has been plugging up every storm. I think though we are finally past the big rains so that now I can spend some time making the road smooth and then switch over to our bigger projects. The power of water is amazing.

Fire season is underway in central California. Elm fire 3000 acres and growing.

http://hotlist.wildlandfire.com/threads/58074-CA-FKU-Elm

Was on the north side of 198 last year for 10 days, 110*F every day. All grass, shrub and minimal trees. Sucked
3a161a89601d2a34e98e11f7b97148a0.jpg
74c933c8e29dfab069d356fbe51b3637.jpg

Steep as s*** in scree...

You worked the mineral fire?

Parkfield grade now being evacuated.

Back