Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wondering how good the classes are that are put on by Golden Gate Fire support. The reason i ask is because they arent listed on the CA SFM website class list. you have taught for Golden Gate?

Sorry I misunderstood your question. I thought you were asking about S-212 in general and not about Golden Gate in particular.

Naw, I have taught my own crews. Still, if they stick to the curriculum, they'll at least cover the important stuff. The new version is a lot better than the older one in a lot of ways, not least of which is the fact that they acknowledge and allow the Humboldt and open face cuts now. Those were previously forbidden, which is dumb. I also added the YouTube video from Madsen's showing chain vs chaps vs ham. It's my opinion that every agency should offer S-212 every year due to the liability issued inherent in running saws.

That's exactly my plan. I'm also working on my instructor series so I can start teaching FSTEP classes....

As far as new version vs. old version are you talking the old A,B,C vs Fall1, Fall2, Fall3?
Yeah I heard the humbolt was strictly forbidden in the past? I have also heard the only way to become a Fal1 nowadays is to complete a task book as well as assist teaching an S-212 class?

With "new" vs "old" I'm talking about the 2004 vs 2012 revisions of the S-212 coursework.

Near as I can figure, the Humboldt wasn't exactly forbidden, but it may as well have been, and depending on leadership still is. There's a card authored by D Dent that is not a USFS publication but is widely distributed through USFS crews that outlines this rule. I'll see if I can find a copy somewhere.

I'm not sure that the taskbook requires teaching the class, but I think it does still require maintaining a shop and inventory for some length of time. I haven't been allowed to qualify Fal C/ Fall1 yet so I"m not sure the rules. I'll probably be 2/B forever unless somebody higher on the chain of command than myself gets the stones to accept the liability of that signature.

how much more skill does a Fal1 have over a Fal2? ive looked and i cant really find it written down what trees a Fal1 can bring down Vs a Fal2. ive been thumbing through the task book and theres a big difference in the knowledge side of things.

Generally on tree size, a Fal1 would be able to do 24 dbh and up were a Fal2 is limited to 24dbh and less.

how much more skill does a Fal1 have over a Fal2? ive looked and i cant really find it written down what trees a Fal1 can bring down Vs a Fal2. ive been thumbing through the task book and theres a big difference in the knowledge side of things.

Skill, experience & Knowledge: and on a fire the know how to bring the crappy [emoji90] stuff down or too leave it be !!!!

Awsome thanks guys! The course I'm taking is a 3 day. Is it safe to say the first day will be classroom. Second day half class room half "shop" time(going over disassembly and chain sharpening)
Third day is all cutting?

Awsome thanks guys! The course I'm taking is a 3 day. Is it safe to say the first day will be classroom. Second day half class room half "shop" time(going over disassembly and chain sharpening)
Third day is all cutting?

Yes. Hopefully at least a full day cutting
Mine years ago was one day class/shop. 2nd day field safety, brush cutting and swamping, and cutting line.
3rd was falling and bucking, observing and mitigating hazards

4th day was offered up as (non class) on private prop in area cutting on veg mngt and thinning project on various terrains

Tulare county in three rivers has a fire going and the residents are real lucky no homes have burned yet. The fire started just after 9am and was not reported until 11:15. With the traffic in that area how is it no one saw it.

9:21
kaweah_commonwealth_1-0926.jpg

11:17 just after it was reported.
kaweah_commonwealth_1-1121.jpg

Just wrapped up 6 days of training in KS with the DOD cadre: S-215 (WUI), which I already had but it's been years, and S-330 (STR/TFL) which is new to me. Next month RX-301 and RX-341.

"But that's during fire season!" I hear you all exclaim. Yeah, well, the DOD cadre are all from the south so they do the training when it's NOT fire season for them. I'm not complaining (much) -- it's training that's hard to get otherwise, and I get to work with FF's from other installations that I wouldn't otherwise ever meet. It's surprising both how behind the DOD are and how differently each installation runs from the others. Ah, well -- that's why the training push. Someday we'll catch up.

Back