Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Problem with water as a firefighting agent is that it drains and evaporates. Also, it only goes where you put it. An absence of fuel is a far more sustainable goal tactically. I say again: water is for mop-up.
just gonna leave that here for emphasis.

Trees, never read any plans, or blue prints, Fire only eats things, no time to stop and read it first.

"Best laid plans of mice and all"

That'd depend on the power of the reel, tensile capacity of the umbilical, shape n ruggedness of the remote bug, IMO.

Jomoco

Look, water is useful, to be sure. But -- if your whole plan relies on water? You don't have much of a plan at all. Give me a dozer, or a handcrew, or even just a driptorch and a paved road, any time, over a plan where I'm expected to hold a moving flame front with nothing but water.

I've been spending the last month working with Cal Fire offender crews on a veg management project about an hour from my house. What a great group of guys to work with as always. Since I get home well after dark I really don't feel like getting on AS. Check the e-mail, eat, shower, go to bed. So I found this fire thread that didn't make any sense to me till I saw an ignored member was the last poster on night.

Self propelled track vehicles that will fight fire with water from a buried water tank? Yeah. Go smoke some more weed buddy.

50 feet of 3" hose weighs around 300 lbs full if memory serves me so "dragging" 600' equals 3,600 lbs. Oh maybe you meant the hose would be empty on a reel. Is the reel on the crawler or at the pump house? Who operates this system, a firefighter stationed in a closet 9 months a year? Duh.

On the other hand this is right up the alley for liberal left leaning dope smoking Californians. Give Moonbeam a call. The plumbers' union too. At $500,000.00 per tank there is taxpayer money ripe for the picking. And when the fire doesn't cooperate and burn the next ridge over, well just dig some more holes.

On the serious side this little bit of rain we have been having here on the central coast reminds me of last year after the Soberanes fire. Debris flows! 0.7" of rain per hour for 15 minutes will cause debris flows to begin. If anyone is working rehab on any of the fires make sure you are employing LCES if it is raining. Cody and I were temporarily trapped on the wrong side of a debris flow. If he wasn't driving the backhoe we would have had a very long walk to the nearest phone.

Debris flows can sometimes be heard a long ways off. If you think you might be hearing one of if trees are moving down slope while standing then don't hesitate... leave!

Hydrophobicity. This is the biggest word I can say without getting another lung full of air. The oils and waxes in burning vegetation eventually settle down and into the top layer of the soil and create a water resistant layer. Once enough rain has fallen this hydrophobic layer will slip as a sheet of soil and ash and begin the debris flow. The underlying soil is now exposed to rain drops and can slide very easily. (Always call these soil movements debris flows and NEVER landslides. Big difference when it comes to insurance claims and grants. Landslides are acts of God.) Debris flows can travel for miles, likely into the ocean in Collyfornia. I would guess many tons of straw has already been applied to slopes to prevent raindrops from falling on bare soil. Better yet is a native grass/mulch mix.

There are great old and new videos on youtube that are just right for a rainy day. And don't forget the videos proving that Trump used directed energy weapons and lasers from the sky to cause these fire.

Just found this thread. I’m a Wildland F.F. here in FL with aspirations to go Fed. How hard would it be to transition into a full time permanent gig with the Feds? I have a MIL background as well

Just found this thread. I’m a Wildland F.F. here in FL with aspirations to go Fed. How hard would it be to transition into a full time permanent gig with the Feds? I have a MIL background as well

I'm a full-time Fed. Best advice I can offer is to check usajobs.com early and often -- all federal hiring is done through that website now, which sucks, because it's super remote and formal and takes forever.

Anyone remember the Siegfried line? French spent a bunch of money on it as a defense against another world war, then the Nazis just drove around it and locked most of the French army inside...

Fire does the same thing.

Not to sound like an ass, but Siegfried line was German - GIs had to fight to cross it in 44-45. What you meant is the Maginot line, that was French.

Not to sound like an ass, but Siegfried line was German - GIs had to fight to cross it in 44-45. What you meant is the Maginot line, that was French.
Well i did leave a question mark as i wasn't sure.

Schools around here don't even teach about that stuff.

Point is the French put all their eggs in one basket, then got surrounded when it didn't work, and had to surrender.

Nate there was another tree strike on a crew leader in Louisiana on January 24th. Guy got lucky, he turned and deflected the blow to his left shoulder. Nothing broken.

This was an Rx burn where a small snag burned through at the base. I'll be working with inmate crews for four days later this month. No LZ but we are close to a highway. Long lining is possible but sure not desirable. I'll be teaching a chainsaw class at this location this month too.

Do you guys use a 9 line or some other med form?

wildfirelessons.net

Back