Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

latest

Just wait until all of those tankers are committed elsewhere and calfire says hey we're not letting you use our tankers for extended attack on your fires until they threaten our land.

I guess we'll see what happens when more expensive subdivisions that never should have been built where they are burn and the communities flip out because "somebody should have done something". How come it's always the feds' fault and never the counties'?

Thats how we ended up with a 747 tanker on a cnw contract last season.

Would be nice if they had timber to sell

oh wait
There are several large sales being researched here abouts, but they are trying to appease the public, get needed road work done, and make money... all 3 won't happen, the road work is too much for the loggers to make money on, and the timber is nice enough, but its all thins on difficult ground, meanwhile the roads have to stay open for the public to access... public meaning in my book tree huggers, that may or may not be inclined to sabotage logging equipment parked over the weekend...

It's a vicious circle. Time to revisit the ESA, I think. All laws should be revisable. Opinion shouldn't drive policy.

Yep, I remember my forestry class at reedley did a field day with a very seasoned sierra national forest timber sale inspector who described the 01 north fork fire salvage as one big f...up and no trees removed due to all the studies and assessments had to take place. By 09 the timber was long past no good and taken care of by the 2015 willow fire and last years mission fire.

A few fairly successful salvage operations are the French(2014) and Aspen fire(2013) salvage operations. Salvage removal started in 2014 on the aspen just after the french fire had burned the north side of the river. Salvage removal started on that in 2015.

The requirements were more or less the same at the beginning on all but the north fork fire kept needing revised impact studies that drove up the cost and reduced salvagable acreage from 585 to less a 1/4 of that. Its weird that two operations next to a wilderness area only needed 1 or 2 environmental impact studies while the one near a few homes and cabins needed constant revision of its impact studies.

Back