Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GIS is the best tool civil/environmental engineering has right now for planning. I’d love to see it applied to forest management. Of course, you need to have people on the ground while the work is being carried out who can make a call to modify plans, assuming the plans *need* to be modified because they will not meet the objective... Which has been the issue on most jobs.

Anyway, my fly out is tomorrow. The Camp Fire has been something that’s changed my perspective on firefighting. It’s been real, it hasn’t been fun, and it definitely hasn’t been real fun.

Repost from Wildfireintel.

“The Camp Fire is 100% contained. 153,336 acres, 14,500 structures destroyed, 85 confirmed fatalities, 271 still on the unaccounted for list. By far the worst incident I have ever been on in over 44 years on the job. Outstanding work by all emergency responders involved from IA, major incident response, the US&R Task Forces, volunteer SAR organizations, Law Enforcement, EMS, and many, many more.”

Erik

Sounds like good technology there. We could use that in our volunteer fire assoc. Right now it's pretty much on homeowners, but we did do a cleanup day where we cut a bunch of dead pines down next to fire lines up on the ridge.

I just stare at the abandoned lot next door and can see all the fuel management problems I can handle. The first two years I lived here I just sprayed round up all over the property line on their side, but this year I'm going to start thinning trees and bushes. Surrounding that lot is open space Santa Cruz Mtns at 700-1000 feet of elevation. Due to the narrow width of my lot compared to depth, the property line is about ten feet from my carport next to my garage. In addition, there's red tagged broken concrete and asphalt continuously tumbling into my property as it erodes...

In the satellite pic, my house is the furthest lower left mostly rectangle lot with a larger house and a smaller cottage on it. The Loma Fire two years ago burned 12 homes and was stopped about a mile and a half away. http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/incidents/incidents_details_info?incident_id=1457

The other pic shows two red tagged areas, though I will admit that road made from broken concrete has held up well, and the overall brush that is over most of the property next door. No one will buy that property since it's 150 feet wide and 1100 feet deep and very, very steep.

I was working at UCSC on 9-26-2016 and had a good view of that fire at 15:03 and then later at 16:26. Now if I can make the pics show up.

This one was taken at 16:26.

thumbnail

I was working at UCSC on 9-26-2016 and had a good view of that fire at 15:03 and then later at 16:26. Now if I can make the pics show up.

This one was taken at 16:26.

thumbnail

If you want text them to me and I’ll post for you
707-529-2560

Erik

Thanks Grizz. We think the recovery teams found both of their remains but we're waiting for positive ID from the pathologists.
Lots of bad stories coming out of that fire.
Condolences my friend, so sorry they didn’t get out! That fire has touched our whole area like no fire I can remember. A good friend of mine has a daughter that lost her home, job ,and everything she owned in that fire, at least she and her family are safe. The area is now in danger of mudslides and more rain is now on the way, they just can’t catch a break!

My condolences as well. :(

As a kid my mom told me about the Berkeley Fire. She said it was so bad that everyone piled their belongings in the middle of the street- and it still burned. I simply didn't believe her, since it was before the Oakland Hills Fire of 91, and I was as skeptical then as I am now. I mean, how could a fire possibly be so bad that it burned stuff in the middle of a paved street. Well, now I know. :eek:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1923_Berkeley,_California_fire

Back