Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our T6 rig has only been out twice this year. Which is two more times than it had been out last year, but we had a record-breaking spring with rain last year. Everything’s green, or flooded insofar this year. Come late July/August that may change if the pattern follows normal trends.

We’ve gone to a UHF radio system. We did it a little over a year ago, and I’m still not much on it. We lose signal going down into basements or canyons. I like that my portable can call someone else across the county or into the next one over, but I don’t like the lag of it having to go to a tower and back. And if the towers go down... We’re on 8Call90 channels that are worse than VHF.

I've got a question for you fire guys. I've got a Sugar Pine tree on BLM property about 75 feet from my property line and about 200 feet from my house. It's 32" on the stump and about 100' in height. This thing just flamed out red about 2 weeks ago. I have permission from BLM to cut it. I can utilize it with my chainsaw mill. My question is would I be better off to let it stand till Fall or fall it now and pile the brush? It's too late to burn and too hot for milling till Fall. I'm asking for a view firewise. Thanks!

Gone red in the spring usually means it succumbed over the winter to drought stress the summer before. Odds are that it's not the only stressed tree nearby. Be on the lookout for more mortality over the next year. I don't have a strong opinion either way as to whether to cut it now or in the fall; standing dead and piled brush are two different hazards that amount to about the same risk. If your defensible space is well maintained, I'd think that either decision is about the same in the long run.

Slash piles will light off easier, but a dead crown will give longer flame lengths & burn hotter. Two very different types of fire behavior, if you weigh everything it probably evens out-smaller hazard, more likely vs larger hazard but much less likely. If the one tree has redded out I’d be watching the others later this year.

It probably doesn’t matter if you wait or not. Especially if you have some space around your home/buildings/shop that’s clear.

I've got a question for you fire guys. I've got a Sugar Pine tree on BLM property about 75 feet from my property line and about 200 feet from my house. It's 32" on the stump and about 100' in height. This thing just flamed out red about 2 weeks ago. I have permission from BLM to cut it. I can utilize it with my chainsaw mill. My question is would I be better off to let it stand till Fall or fall it now and pile the brush? It's too late to burn and too hot for milling till Fall. I'm asking for a view firewise. Thanks!

As already stated, it's a zero-sum game in terms of fire danger - it really boils down to what works best for you. Do you have a good clear shot for falling the tree into?

Done that many times. In the old days, when a person was getting their HECM/HEMG certification, a hover hook-up was required. I did my first hover hook-up under the Apple Valley S-58, which was quite the experience.

As already stated, it's a zero-sum game in terms of fire danger - it really boils down to what works best for you. Do you have a good clear shot for falling the tree into?

Done that many times. In the old days, when a person was getting their HECM/HEMG certification, a hover hook-up was required. I did my first hover hook-up under the Apple Valley S-58, which was quite the experience.

Were ya wearin this...
c0dfab73d82914c681c3a2cbf2d94e1d.jpg

Erik

Taken on a fire one year, can’t rembervif it was 2 or 3 week run. Guy had the “total” nutrition values calculated.
Was like 2400 grams of fat

82d4372f04477b4f8d32d4efcd3eb2e0.jpg

Erik

I remember you sharing that picture when we were discussing caterers on the old fire site.

I've never understood most fire caterer's obsession with Uncrustables.

We left some out for the animals one time and they wouldn't even touch 'em.

Those things in my opinion are just nasty. They pick uncrustables because they are cheap. I remember some of lunches we had on a few fires... Ham sandwiches with cheese an apple and a few candy bars and roast beef that made me hate roast beef from then on.

I remember you sharing that picture when we were discussing caterers on the old fire site.

Those things in my opinion are just nasty. They pick uncrustables because they are cheap. I remember some of lunches we had on a few fires... Ham sandwiches with cheese an apple and a few candy bars and roast beef that made me hate roast beef from then on.

Ah. The “Shimmery” beef sando, just have to pretend it’s pastrami. Got one like that, never ate one again

Now this on the other hand is a staple
ccc0e106040153ce0e01b57e509bfffd.jpg

Erik

I had never heard of Uncrustables until the Soberanes fire in 2016. Everyone else I spoke with had those when they were growing up. I took several home to try. I couldn't finish one. Nasty things.

It’s a “keep” frozen PB&J only somewhat good thawed out for a day....then the dried-out and jelly saturated bread takes on its own life

Ya still workin’ in there ??

Erik

Cut it as soon as you can and don't wait. The reason is the longer you wait the more danger from falling dead wood from above. The longer the tree stands dead the more dangerous it is to cut. When clearing fire line or fire lanes in preparation for a burn the dead wood danger trees had to be removed first so you didn't get a Devil Tree or burning tree fall across your fire break. These Dead Wood trees "ARE THE ONES THAT GAVE ME NIGHTMARES".

Back