Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, that and all of the neighborhoods built up in box canyons. They don't cause the fires but they do jack up the cost of both suppression and recovery. Oh and of course the high cost of public opinion and negative press. I think the counties need to bear more responsibility for this one because they're who permits the construction in those locations where the fuels are loaded and the topography favors large fire growth. The rise in temperature is absolutely an issue and will become more of an issue over time, but much more immediately the land use problems need addressed.

We had a had a good sized structure fire the night before, they pretty much lost everything. It was a mixed bag of agencies with calfire, usfs, auberry volunteer, and possibly buckskin fire department from parker strip Arizona with their quad cad tender out on a coverage assignment

20191028_204659.jpg

FFS! it isn't the rise in temp, it is the lack of wildland management and excessive fire suppression, many areas haven't seen fire or the hand of Man in 50 years, the fuel load is intense.

Just outside of San Bernardino CA 18 homes were affected last night with some completely destroyed. Over and over again i hear the different fire agencies claim that they have never seen any thing like the fire weather we have. You can expect to have a fire in tall brush with 60 MPH winds because its normal so train for it. No effort at all by the home owners or county or cal fire went in to any prevention in that particular area. The grass and brush have been allowed to grow with out any restraint. I was very pleased that the agencies were able to work together and stopped the disaster from continuing. However Cal Fire and the prison group have been reducing fuel around my neighborhood. Thanks

Have family in the Monterey area. They are not allowed to do any brush control on the steep hillside below their house because of it being a scenic easement. (I think that is what it was called) County level thing, they can't mow, thin the trees, remove standing dead, control the vines, etc. They were ordered to stop maintaining the walking trail they had to access the bottom edge of their property. They still do trail maintenance, but instead of using power tools they pay a bunch of illegals in cash to do it quietly with machetes.

It sounds harsh, but I really think California is getting the inevitable consequences of many failed policies.

e673d00b11bf7472f745c29b428db403.jpg
5d41fa6a53a7831562e4368816f3d2da.jpg

Making a stand that worked, overnight firing op in 50 mph favorable winds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

e673d00b11bf7472f745c29b428db403.jpg
5d41fa6a53a7831562e4368816f3d2da.jpg

Making a stand that worked, overnight firing op in 50 mph favorable winds

I wondered if they would do that. It made sense, lots of risk, but weighed against what they knew was coming it seemed like the best tactic.

Final map for Kincade Fire

96a61462aec2cc0d1e6a01f0bf426e37.jpg

Tendered in Div’s M, H, P, F & D

This was the evacuation zone map.
7 of 10 input simulation maps produced this model, that if it jumped to west side of Hwy 101 it had potential to run corridors the Pacific. Thick flashy Grass, Eucs and scattered timber stands. 28 miles to the coast
9c3beb5812a01590620cebb9862888fe.jpg

b1fe0bea5823a141f6ce3bd36fad6972.jpg

My house and family are the red mark just below Sebastopol.
Anxious but all good for them while I was out

Have FUN and be safe ... Tyler watch for the P. Oak !!

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/i...-smoky-wildfires-in-california-mexico?src=nha
Perhaps the scariest statement:
"Recent research has shown that fires in California have grown more frequent and larger in recent decades due to rising temperatures. Annual burned area in the state increased by 405 percent from 1972 to 2018."

I see that implication not true or stretched some that fires have increased. I certainly do not believe in the climate change thing. I was recently talking with my USFS resource management officer. She said when she first became involved with FS and her husband noted how much area they were involved with prescribed burning. Now just in the last twenty years the formula has changed quite a bit as far as formulating plans for fuel reduction. When I was using a drip torch forty years ago we laid out a plan watched the weather and started burning with a few folks driving around watching for spot fires. A couple of years ago a area that I had worked on many many years ago was ripe for some fuel reduction. A plan was laid out with four hundred personnel showing up after several months of planning. That is ridiculous when a dozen will do. Thus fuel reduction is not taking place. Then Air Management has put the brakes on a majority of prescribed projects and still more projects not being done. So I conclude that with fuel or vegetation being allowed more freedom to expand it has become a more hazardous situation. Thanks

If anyone gets something like this you need to get a high pressure pump and a black tank. Then add extra hose and fittings and get quality stuff, not plastic.

I don’t know about that... Our type six rig has a 1983 Poly-Tank with a “high pressure” (~150 psi tops) 1980s Briggs pump on it. The plumbing on it is... Metal, it’s NPT with brass NH/NST hose connections but I’ve never had to take it apart to tell if it’s ductile, steel, etc. It’ll run a booster reel or an 1.75” trash line with a variable gallonage combination nozzle real well.

That unit looks just fine, and while it’s not ideal or NFPA rated/compliant, I would bet it could probably douse some brush piles just fine. The only thing I’d really worry about is the tank, because I doubt it’s very good at handling heat. But then again it has several hundred gallons of water to heat sink most of the time.

We had a multiquip trailer for jobsite watering, it did fine supplying the concrete saw and wetting dust. Pump on it put out about 45psi. at the pump. We ran the line up behind a house and it couldn't keep the hose from kinking and stopping the water. That was ~20 years ago so maybe they put better pumps on them now.

Those clear/white tanks grow algae something awful, a black tank keeps the water clear if it is stored for more than a few days. You can put a tarp over it, that helps to keep the algae from growing.

All our trailers now have baffled tanks, either stainless or black poly, and the pumps are two stage and run a 1.5" line at ~70psi, and at lower flows they run up to 140psi. I'll have to look at who makes the pump, I know the motors are Honda.

I'd certainly take it over no water and pump, but very limited set up.

Screenshot from esri of the final resting spot of MMU dozer 4242 off hites cove trail. It will most likely remain there for a long time do to the remote location.

20191223_213218.jpg

Latest posts

Back