Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had another one start on the edge of the construction area northwest of the lake last week, they had two last year. We had a cdrc crew working in the park run a voluntary response because it wasn't called in until I called it in. Two d10 dozers from company hooked it just before it crossed a drainage then headed for the next ridge in the picture.
IMG_20200504_161704_111.jpg

*** Sensitive ****

Some Brutal footage of LaFD on explosive commercial structure fire yesterday
Video and mayday

Serious injuries, 3 on ventilators

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hell on earth.

Prayers for the firefighters, their families, and their comrades.

Their bunker gear & helmets.

That’s incredible. I wonder if anyone knew there was that much butane in the building? It just goes to show that we can’t treat every call the same, and just from the look of the surrounding buildings I never would have guessed it had any at all.

Superb ladder company placement, by the way. The cool the command officer kept when he arrived on scene after the mayday is awesome. Lots of people would be freaking out.

Hole. E. Crap. Some whack job went nuts lighting fires fairly close to me this afternoon. It was about 7 miles from me, and about a half mile from my folks. At least one, and as many as three arsonists started lighting fires in the hills above San Jose. I'm in the local volunteer fire association, but the incident was outside my jurisdiction. I texted my Chief and told him I wanted to test drive the Brush Rig over to a friend's house who has 3 acres backing up to the hill that was ablaze. He gave me the go ahead, so I headed over in the 1988 Ford Brush Rig with a hundred gallon tank and a three cylinder diesel engine mated to the pump. I set up camp at my buddy's house, and laid some hose. Luckily, very luckily the wind was negligible, and heading away from both his place and my folks house. Cal Fire was ALL OVER IT with the heli's and fixed wing aircraft, including the C-130. I had a couple of coldies as we held firm. Since the reports were of the initial whack job WITH A MACHETE and as many as 3 accomplices roaming the hills, I manned the hose while my buddies had their 12 gauges ready. Crazy night. Cal Fire did their standard outstanding job and we had some more beers after rolling up the hoses.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/06/04/multiple-vegetation-fires-reported-in-south-san-jose/
SJ-arson-suspect[1].jpg

The whack jobs, volunteer and paid, are out in force these days.

Glad it wasn't worse and your buddies house was ok.

Hole. E. Crap. Some whack job went nuts lighting fires fairly close to me this afternoon. It was about 7 miles from me, and about a half mile from my folks. At least one, and as many as three arsonists started lighting fires in the hills above San Jose. I'm in the local volunteer fire association, but the incident was outside my jurisdiction. I texted my Chief and told him I wanted to test drive the Brush Rig over to a friend's house who has 3 acres backing up to the hill that was ablaze. He gave me the go ahead, so I headed over in the 1988 Ford Brush Rig with a hundred gallon tank and a three cylinder diesel engine mated to the pump. I set up camp at my buddy's house, and laid some hose. Luckily, very luckily the wind was negligible, and heading away from both his place and my folks house. Cal Fire was ALL OVER IT with the heli's and fixed wing aircraft, including the C-130. I had a couple of coldies as we held firm. Since the reports were of the initial whack job WITH A MACHETE and as many as 3 accomplices roaming the hills, I manned the hose while my buddies had their 12 gauges ready. Crazy night. Cal Fire did their standard outstanding job and we had some more beers after rolling up the hoses.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/06/04/multiple-vegetation-fires-reported-in-south-san-jose/
View attachment 833465
Colleen was just teasing you. We all hope there are no copy cats. I lost Cal Fire hand crews two days last week because of fires.

San Franciscos night time Pier-45 fire as captured from Marin County’s Mt Tam fire lookout camera. Starts @ the 20sec mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a 1:30 am wakeup call yesterday by a car battery going BOOM and saw fire. Hustled to the road so I could see what was on fire and it's good thing it woke me up because two other cars went by and didn't call 911.IMG_20200608_023206386.jpgIMG_20200608_024705560.jpgIMG_20200608_025141453.jpg

Dang. Who's car was it?

Local kid heading back home from work. He had just bought it too. It developed a fuel leak about a half mile down the road and caught fire while he was driving. A few neighbors started getting fussy on bookface because their mailboxes got burned, I just said be happy your neighbor heard the explosion and saw the fire and got the fire department rolling before it took off up the slope. Dead grass and heavy brush right against the boxes.

The kid was trying to get help because he didn't have a phone but nobody answered their doors.

People!

Everybody has a phone and wants to be the one that gets the views because they caught the insane footage.

Nobody seems to care if the situation is better or worse for them being there.

People!

Everybody has a phone and wants to be the one that gets the views because they caught the insane footage.

Nobody seems to care if the situation is better or worse for them being there.

It was 20 minutes after my 911 call when the volunteer firefighters got there and near an hour for calfire. Me staying on scene was necessary, not many people know that you should call back your 911 dispatch if the fire spreads to wildland and jumps the road or structures start burning. I also stayed because they had to take a report. My property is on the opposite side of the road so I had a definite interest in what could have happened.
Not much one can do when a vehicle is fully engulfed in flames except hurry up and wait for the fire department to get there so why not take some photos while you are there with them and give them some good PR for the locals who didn't know anything about what happened.

It was 20 minutes after my 911 call when the volunteer firefighters got there and near an hour for calfire. Me staying on scene was necessary, not many people know that you should call back your 911 dispatch if the fire spreads to wildland and jumps the road or structures start burning. I also stayed because they had to take a report. My property is on the opposite side of the road so I had a definite interest in what could have happened.
Not much one can do when a vehicle is fully engulfed in flames except hurry up and wait for the fire department to get there so why not take some photos while you are there with them and give them some good PR for the locals who didn't know anything about what happened.

I wasn't directing that at you, it was a comment on attitudes in general, prompted by your story of the people who wouldn't help and were complaining.

We had a little two acre fire burning in heavy brush and timber in a local state park a few days ago. It was so small Cal Fire only used one hand crew and a few engines. The fire was difficult to find so maybe a helicopter was used too, I don't remember. Anyway the fire was really smokey so much so the smoke woke me up at 04. It takes a lot to wake me up when I'm sound asleep. I thought my neighbors were cooking a huge amount of bacon (yuch). Nextdoor.com absolutely blew up, mostly demanding to know when the fire will be out and what can be done about the smoke.

The fire was burning poison oak BTW. Too bad Madhatte wasn't here to go in with the IA engine. He loves poison oak. Especially when it is 8' deep. (For those of us who live in PO country Nate doesn't even know about Black Vine Poison Oak).

I wasn't directing that at you, it was a comment on attitudes in general, prompted by your story of the people who wouldn't help and were complaining.

Sorry I misread your comment, of the people who drove by at one was snapping photos as they slowly rolled by. I still don't understand why people complained so much about a mild inconvenience when it could have been far worse. Boredom and the internet I guess.

Latest posts

Back