Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some loggers moved from the east side of Warshington to the west side. They brought their mechanized equipment. They used their forwarder on one rare, flat unit. After that, I saw the forwarder being used as a guyline anchor for their newly acquired yarder. Kind of an expensive guyline stump, but it worked. Then they sold it. They found out that A. There wasn't much ground flat enough to use a forwarder on and B. the mills in the area paid more for long logs.

If they are using them on really steep ground, are they having to go straight up and down and are they anchoring the forwarder and winching it? In Wisconsin, they tipped over when going side hill on a 30% slope. That was considered to be steep ground in Up Nort Wisconsin.

Part of my kid's crew was recently tested for antibodies. They were on that fire. They had all had Covid and none had any issues. It affects different people differently, but generally, those with good immune systems do just fine with it.

For sure, and sometimes there’s no rhyme or reason that’s the Sh!tty part
People you’d think, unaffected and people you’d not expect, messed up

That’s good news and hopefully nothing comes of it later

From a retired Co-workers daughter:

First off, I want to say Thank you and how appreciative I am for all of you checking in on me and making sure I'm doing/have been alright. I wish I could personally send each of you a letter, but to be completely transparent, my attention span now is half what it was, my short term memory isn't so great and I would hate to leave any of you out. So here I am, relying on my Papa to help me and I know he'll follow through. I'm so grateful for all of you and the support, love and care you've not only shown me, but also my dad as well. I think about how lucky he is to have such supportive and caring individuals in his life and I appreciate you immensely for that. I'm so fortunate to have such amazing individuals in my life, because of him.

Where to start. Well first off, I'd like to report that I'm doing ok. I try to have humor in some of the areas of my life that have changed; at this point you just have to. I'm now 80+ days out from my initial symptoms (loss of taste and smell was first) and positive COVID test. Much of September is lost to me. I remember bits and pieces (like the wonderful facetime video I got to have with many of you, during your 911 remembrance day). I think part of my brain has blocked that month out and other parts that I was just too ill and tired to remember. Where I'm at now is, I have a myriad of side effects Covid has left me with and many/most I do not have answers for. However, I'm alive, I didn't have to be hospitalized or on a vent. and for that I am incredibly grateful. I can't say it enough, I have so much to be thankful for.

Regarding my current side effects though, the most concerning to me (as well as my parents and my primary) is the shortness of breath I still experience and the frequent episodes of tachycardia. Sometimes I get so short of breath, you'd think I was 500lbs running a marathon, same with showering. The tachycardia I experience daily, started approx. 6 weeks after symptom onset. At first, it was only posturally and my BPM would jump 10-20 beats. Now most recently, it will additionally come on for no apparent reason, sometimes just while laying down and sometimes while being up and walking. It's a mystery that many "Long Covid" patients experience and so far don't have answers for. I now have referrals to both a pulmonologist (very hard to get in to if you weren't hospitalized), as well as a cardiologist and will be fitted with a cardiac monitor (Zio Patch). The rest of the issues, I'm slowly getting used to and am learning how to handle, such as the fatigue and weakness, muscle/joint pain, dizziness, headaches, chronic dry eyes, gastritis, insomnia, nausea...the list goes on.

Overall, I do not recommend getting COVID; 10 out of 10 do NOT recommend. Period. It is in no way, shape or form "just like a bad cold or flu" and you truly don't know what side you're going to come out on. Heck, I'm 28yo, was healthy as a clam before this, free of any comorbidities or health complications. I haven't smoked a day in my life, barely consumed alcohol, I exercised regularly and ate healthy. The fact of the matter is, you really don't know how it will affect YOU or those you love. I have to say, the scariest part of getting COVID while being home in California, was the chance of giving it to my parents. I wouldn't have been able to live with myself if that happened. I remember being so scared that they would contract it and it would do more harm to them, than me. By the grace of God, they didn't and I'm so incredibly grateful for that and I hope they still never contract it. However, that feeling of being worried and scared went both ways, for me and for them. I wouldn't wish that fear on anyone and it's something I think most don't consider when making "in the moment" decisions. There's a level of risk I think as humans, we're all willing to take, but sometimes in some situations, we really have to think about the potential consequences or outcomes those risks can have for us and for those we love. Especially during a pandemic.

I hope that this letter finds each of you healthy and that your loved ones are healthy as well. Again, I thank you so much for the support, care and compassion you've all shown me and my dad these past months. He's very lucky to have such amazing humans in his life and I'm so grateful that he shares those people with me. I've learned an incredible amount and I've been reminded of quite a bit, too. Our health is something we just cannot take for granted, however I know sometimes it's easy too. Who knew I would miss tasting food so much or smelling clean laundry? And another thing is how much love and support we have in our lives. I thank you all for reminding me of that and for sharing it with my dad too.

She is still under a cardiologists care and making good but slow progress. A sad life changer for a bright future

Thx

Sent from my iPhone using see

At least four fires have been reported in the CZU Lightning Complex (from August 2020). The largest was 7 acres but was well inside the burn. Social media was hotter than the fires.

Out of state fire crews have been dispatched to SoCal in anticipation of warm wind events in the forecast. And...the governor is cutting hand crews. Makes sense.

At least four fires have been reported in the CZU Lightning Complex (from August 2020). The largest was 7 acres but was well inside the burn. Social media was hotter than the fires.

Out of state fire crews have been dispatched to SoCal in anticipation of warm wind events in the forecast. And...the governor is cutting hand crews. Makes sense.

The creek fire popped back up in a few spots today. Cutting inmate hand crews and hiring contract crews, we've contract prevention crews staying in Auberry at the old mill and bio mass plant site. I didn't catch the company name but they had some nice 661s on their truck.

I read where they think there was a fire started by embers still burning from ten months ago. Bad year, no personnel and now the damned old fires are adding to it. Dogs and cats sleeping together........

I read where they think there was a fire started by embers still burning from ten months ago. Bad year, no personnel and now the damned old fires are adding to it. Dogs and cats sleeping together........

Easily done out here in the west with thick duff layers and large root systems where not enough melting snow pack or rainfall amounts saturates or penetrates deep enough to extinguish
Big drought year and minimal lasting snow out here
The dead and down 100/1000 hour fuels and brush component is more receptive than the flashy fuels in some parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easily done out here in the west with thick duff layers and large root systems where not enough melting snow pack or rainfall amounts saturates or penetrates deep enough to extinguish
Big drought year and minimal lasting snow out here
The dead and down 100/1000 hour fuels and brush component is more receptive than the flashy fuels in some parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, they can hang around in deep duff and logs for a long time, sometimes even smolder for months under the snow. I think one time Yosemite had one burn for a couple of years in the 90s, the rosasco fire in the stanislaus national forest has been going since 2014 creeping around in buried woody materials.

Yep, they can hang around in deep duff and logs for a long time, sometimes even smolder for months under the snow. I think one time Yosemite had one burn for a couple of years in the 90s, the rosasco fire in the stanislaus national forest has been going since 2014 creeping around in buried woody materials.

Yep. Forgot about that place. Wandered around in there in the latter part of for the Rim fire in ‘13. Area was cooked. Was caravanning with and doing medical for 2 weeks for 2 Hazard falling mods. Had lunch there on way down from Cherry lake.

Last Friday while working with Cal Fire I was told the camp may change to 10 person crews from 16 person crews. Our camp will go from two crews to three crews. This way the governor can say he is increasing the number of crews. Ridiculous. Newson is dumping money into Cal Fire to try to head off the recall. It might work.

I read somewhere years ago that an Indian once said "only a white man would cut a foot off the top of a blanket and sew it on the bottom and say he has a longer blanket".

New Iron :))
7a16b2fa8d8775dbe14c1b4de373513c.jpg

Had a little excitement at work yesterday at one of our day use trail access areas.IMG_20210609_134049508.jpgIMG_20210609_141000631.jpgIMG_20210609_141732123.jpg

The whole west needs more. Utah and Nevada are **** shows, as well as Az and always Kommifornicator. My kid just got done with a14 and is back in Boise til Tuesday. Not much rest ahead. Bad years.

Latest posts

Back