Fireplace Insert - on the way

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby Kirbos

Scrounger of Cellulose Based BTUs
Reaction score
I have 4 cords of maple that needs to be burned. The existing hole in the wall that we have now is ok. We would like to get more heat out of it, and hopefully lower the fuel oil bill in the process.

20180727_185824.jpg

We just paid for and scheduled the install for a wood burning fireplace insert - Enviro Venice 1200. It will be going in on Sept. 5.
:happybanana:

Insert, stainless steel chimney liner, installation, taxes - just under $5100US.

Great, I’ve had one for many years. While not as efficient as a free standing stove. It makes perfect sense for us with masonry fireplaces. It turns that hole into a great source of heat. I’m sure you will love it. Here’s mine in action. A Lennox C260
a6acd0c554455c6dae96cf6699c4ad90.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is your oil heat forced air or hot water? They do make fireplace inserts that will heat boiler heat systems. Much more efficient way to heat the entire house.

Btw. Congrats on the purchase.

Very nice Kirbos. I’m jealous. I want an insert really bad to compliment my pellet stove. There is an open hearth in my living room drafted by I think it’s 14” terra cotta chimney. I just haven’t done the research to figure out what inserts work in it.

Is your oil heat forced air or hot water? They do make fireplace inserts that will heat boiler heat systems. Much more efficient way to heat the entire house.

Btw. Congrats on the purchase.
Hot water baseboard. I did think of that, but it would take more $$ than we want to spend at the moment to make that happen. This is a secondary/emergency heat source and the insert will out-perform the fireplace, so we're happy.

BTW - Being that I plan to use this insert as an emergency heat source in the event of a power failure... I will need a pure sine wave inverter to run the fan. I have found some pictures of the blower assembly and can see that it is a FASCO motor. The rest of the text on the label isn't clear enough to read in the pictures. Does anyone know how much current the fan motor pulls? If anyone could post a picture of the motor data plate, that would be even better. If possible, I would like to replace the 120vAC fan motor with a 12VDC motor - it will be more efficient than using an inverter when on battery power.

Well, that sucks...

They did not send anyone ahead of time to take measurements. They brought a liner for a 13 x 13 chimney. My chimney is 8 by 12. The shop is a good hour away, they don't have anyone to run the proper liner out, and they have another install scheduled for this afternoon.

That sucks....

Congrats on upgrading to an insert. We paid about the same to have a Jotul installed into our fireplace. We don't use it much as the stave handles the lions share of heating unless the temps drop below 0 or the winds are kicked up.

I have 4 cords of maple that needs to be burned. The existing hole in the wall that we have now is ok. We would like to get more heat out of it, and hopefully lower the fuel oil bill in the process.

View attachment 666204

We just paid for and scheduled the install for a wood burning fireplace insert - Enviro Venice 1200. It will be going in on Sept. 5.
:happybanana:

Insert, stainless steel chimney liner, installation, taxes - just under $5100US.
You got any interest in adding some oak to your wood pile? I have 3 large oaks coming down in September I need to clean up for a local home building company and I'm running out of space. 20180905_173440.jpg I'm filling the old chicken pens cause everything else is full.

Are you dropping them, or are they being dropped and you're just cleaning up the bulk of the mess?

Anything big enough for the 28" bar on my 245??? :dancing::chainsaw:

Sure. I can start gathering for next year. I don't have a ton of room, but I think I could handle about 2 cords before I run out of space to put it. I'm in a neighborhood on a corner lot, so I don't want to have crazy amounts of wood stacked even if it is neat and orderly. There is always that one neighbor who will complain about the appearance or the possibility of pests (bugs, rodents, etc).

I work a 9-5 so I'm really only available on weekends. My Tucson is good for about 1/4 cord, so it's going to take a few trips. BUT, the only way that this burning wood for heat thing is cost effective is to get the wood for free, so I'll make the trips.

Shoot me a PM.

They do, but the 6" is the pipe size - and that is what they had on the truck. Add the insulation and the OD is over 8"- that's the problem.

They're coming back on Sept. 21, on their dime. It's actually a good thing though. While in there, the one guy noticed that the fireplace damper and the rectangular chimney pipe are perpendicular to each other. He took some measurements and is going to have his sheet metal crew make whatever is necessary to properly route the smoke through the damper opening and into the chimney.

THIS IS WHY WE ARE PAYING SOMEONE TO INSTALL IT. They know exactly what they need, have people who can make the non-standard stuff, and have extra parts on their truck if needed. Sure, I could have done it on my own, but I would have 5 trips to Lowes, 3 to a stove shop, and 4 Amazon orders. The project would spread out over 3 weekends and by the end of it, I wouldn't want to see the thing.

Are you dropping them, or are they being dropped and you're just cleaning up the bulk of the mess?

Anything big enough for the 28" bar on my 245??? :dancing::chainsaw:

Sure. I can start gathering for next year. I don't have a ton of room, but I think I could handle about 2 cords before I run out of space to put it. I'm in a neighborhood on a corner lot, so I don't want to have crazy amounts of wood stacked even if it is neat and orderly. There is always that one neighbor who will complain about the appearance or the possibility of pests (bugs, rodents, etc).

I work a 9-5 so I'm really only available on weekends. My Tucson is good for about 1/4 cord, so it's going to take a few trips. BUT, the only way that this burning wood for heat thing is cost effective is to get the wood for free, so I'll make the trips.

Shoot me a PM.
20180829_222524.jpg The 7910 will still be wearing the 32 for those trees so I'm sure we can find something to bury the 28 in.

They do, but the 6" is the pipe size - and that is what they had on the truck. Add the insulation and the OD is over 8"- that's the problem.

They're coming back on Sept. 21, on their dime. It's actually a good thing though. While in there, the one guy noticed that the fireplace damper and the rectangular chimney pipe are perpendicular to each other. He took some measurements and is going to have his sheet metal crew make whatever is necessary to properly route the smoke through the damper opening and into the chimney.

THIS IS WHY WE ARE PAYING SOMEONE TO INSTALL IT. They know exactly what they need, have people who can make the non-standard stuff, and have extra parts on their truck if needed. Sure, I could have done it on my own, but I would have 5 trips to Lowes, 3 to a stove shop, and 4 Amazon orders. The project would spread out over 3 weekends and by the end of it, I wouldn't want to see the thing.
@Bobby Kirbos Having your unit professionally installed is a good way to go. We had our new insert installed this summer and it took 2 guys 4 hours to do the complete install. No way could this 70 year old body do that. New stove is my avatar,

I read in another thread you had the insert burning already. What kind of burn times are you getting out of it assuming your not burning hard since it's still t shirt weather in the middle of the night.

I read in another thread you had the insert burning already. What kind of burn times are you getting out of it assuming your not burning hard since it's still t shirt weather in the middle of the night.
Don't really know. I've been keeping them on the small side; burning mainly shorts, small uglies, and other scrap chunks. The couple of Poplar and Willow logs that I did throw on (one at a time) did last a good while, but I didn't time them. Sorry.

UPDATE:::::::::::

So being the nerd that I am, I have Honeywell internet connected thermostats in the house. Honeywell sends me a monthly report about my HVAC system usage.

December heating hours required for the entire house:
2017 - 192
2018 - 42

That's 150 fewer hours this year with the stove.

Assuming 33% duty cycle on the oil burner (50 hours with a 1 gal/hr. nozzle) at the current fuel cost of $2.66/gal, I just saved $133. Jan. through March are the coldest months, so I can't wait to see those numbers.

Obviously the savings goes against the capital expense of the stove and the wood gathering/processing gear I've purchased over the last year, but I estimate that the stove and equipment will be paid for in 5 seasons.

Latest posts

Back