FIREWOOD 2018/19 ORDERS/SALES.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So there’s this guy who buys wood from me off and on. He always says he wants two cords a year but when I tried to be proactive with him and get him hooked up in the spring or early summer he will not answer me. Always waits till late summer/early fall and then he NEEDS wood. Last fall I was all out by the time he got ahold of me. This year I have enough to help him out. He said he’d buy more from me but honestly I don’t have enough so I told him to get the rest from his other guy.

Common refrain here as well Steve. Temp goes down to 50 dergees a couple nights and phones start ringing. But nearly all of the wood sellers that come in the store will tell you that it's almost impossible to get customers to take wood early, What gets me is that even people who run out or struggle to get seasoned wood never seem to learn the lesson. They'll stop in my store and ask if we know anyone who has seasoned wood, and if it's Feb, the answer's usually nobody. And they'll do it again this coming season. I get that people don't like to spend money on stuff before they need to use it, but firewood is different when seasoning and supply are factored in and many people just don't understand the process involved. Gotta be frustrating for wood sellers.

Of course that procrastination gene is also pretty common among the folks who cut their own wood. Once we get past labor day guys come in the store getting supplies, having their saws serviced and what not. Say it's getting chilly and that it's time to START cutting. They speak a different language than most of us here, don't they? LOL

So there’s this guy who buys wood from me off and on. He always says he wants two cords a year but when I tried to be proactive with him and get him hooked up in the spring or early summer he will not answer me. Always waits till late summer/early fall and then he NEEDS wood. Last fall I was all out by the time he got ahold of me. This year I have enough to help him out. He said he’d buy more from me but honestly I don’t have enough so I told him to get the rest from his other guy.
I love guys like him. I have multiple people say they want 2+ cords but will only order 1 in September. They say it looks good and they will order more later in the season. I tell them make it sooner than later because I sell out. They call in December/January and act surprised when I tell them I’m out. I just laugh about it.

with the extended winter of last year, I sold out totally! sold out of my personal supply for the following year(19/20) which was seasoned but not dry.... now this year I have had enough, and to resupply mine first plus! camp wood/fire pit orders are still a daily thing with a warmer season predicted for an extended warmer fall. we shall see! fall canning is about done for the winter food bag and then the game is on for winter sales stock up! "BRING ON THE COLD/DEEP SNOW. procrastinator's will order! lol

I love guys like him. I have multiple people say they want 2+ cords but will only order 1 in September. They say it looks good and they will order more later in the season. I tell them make it sooner than later because I sell out. They call in December/January and act surprised when I tell them I’m out. I just laugh about it.
Yup, I like the guy but it’s kind of satisfying to tell people you are out of stock, especially if you tried to be proactive with them.

Common refrain here as well Steve. Temp goes down to 50 dergees a couple nights and phones start ringing. But nearly all of the wood sellers that come in the store will tell you that it's almost impossible to get customers to take wood early, What gets me is that even people who run out or struggle to get seasoned wood never seem to learn the lesson. They'll stop in my store and ask if we know anyone who has seasoned wood, and if it's Feb, the answer's usually nobody. And they'll do it again this coming season. I get that people don't like to spend money on stuff before they need to use it, but firewood is different when seasoning and supply are factored in and many people just don't understand the process involved. Gotta be frustrating for wood sellers.

Of course that procrastination gene is also pretty common among the folks who cut their own wood. Once we get past labor day guys come in the store getting supplies, having their saws serviced and what not. Say it's getting chilly and that it's time to START cutting. They speak a different language than most of us here, don't they? LOL
Yeah I never understood it! I’ve even offered a discount to just be able to drop wood in spring cause it saves me the time and space of stacking it. I love to hunt in the fall so it’s an annoyance to have to deal with wood.

I have 3 1/3 cords left to deliver this year plus want to do 8 cords for my own supply. And my boiler wood is all two year dried aspen that just needs to be bucked and halved.

the first small winter order just came in for 2 cords of dry red oak... hope this is the start I have been regretting?.. lol the new 2019/20 farmers almanac states a snowier, colder an longer winter for the upper plains and great lakes areas than last year! now the wait for the larger order's.

that would/wood be great steve! the permit deadline is the first Saturday of may 2020, and that my friend is in "plain site"... lol

I spoke to a guy who hunts about 4 miles northeast of me, he said that last year there was a HUGE bear that they couldn't get a glimpse of in the daylight. None of their group pulled tags this year so they aren't hunting.

Some yahoos from Wisconsin are hunting behind the lake again. They will probably plug the bear that was raiding my feeders on opening day. Fine with me.

Well chalk this one in the books.

Not really a complaint of my wood but a guy in the area gives a lot more wood than I do per cord.

I dropped a cord yesterday for the guy mentioned above but he wasn’t home. Today I’m on my way there with load number 2 and get a text that says the other wood guy provided a lot more wood for the same volume and if I wasn’t on my way already he’d just be happy with the first cord. I told him I was already almost there.

The other guy brings over loads by the dump truck load and basically delivers nearly double cause it’s not actually seasoned. Told him I’m not offended if he goes with the other guy going forward.

Yup, now that I use ~15 cords a year myself, selling to more than my two long term customers cuts into my free time anyhow. Plus as I mentioned before he always wants wood last minute and won’t even respond when I try to get ahold of him in the spring.

He didn’t dicker on price so I got what I asked and he got more than two cords. So the day ended fine, at least in my eyes.

Back