FIREWOOD 2018/19 ORDERS/SALES.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some friends of mine asked if they could get more wood from me. Their senior in high school son “borrowed” much of their backyard supply for a pit party.

I told them if I can bring them a mixed load it’s free, if they wanted hardwood I’m charging. They said mixed is great. Which is better for me cause I want the last of the hardwood tops for my sauna.

I'm sold out, with ten cord yet to deliver.
Wood did not season as well this year.
Some did very well, but a lot of pieces with bark, the bark loosened and seemed to hold moisture.
I'm thinking of buying logs one year ahead, then the bark falls off when processing.
I reused my 6'x6' tarp covers. UV fatigued a 4' circle turning them into sieves, and left them about as strong as one ply toilet paper. I've trashed well over one hundred fifty of them.
You would think you need sunshine for UV, but apparently not.
Michigan continues to be very wet and humid.
More rain moving in tonight and tomorrow.
When deliveries are done, back to cutting/splitting till the snow flies.

I will be happy if I can get out 50 to 60 cords this year. I have already delivered about 6 loads in the past couple of months. I spend about one day a week at my rental property so doing this by myself seems OK. Right now I am getting about two calls a day for orders, but most think they should get a discount since it is not winter yet. I always get the highest prices or I do not start my trucks up. The last two winters have been poor, but this year is more promising. We will see. Thanks

I'm sold out, with ten cord yet to deliver.
Wood did not season as well this year.
Some did very well, but a lot of pieces with bark, the bark loosened and seemed to hold moisture.
I'm thinking of buying logs one year ahead, then the bark falls off when processing.
I reused my 6'x6' tarp covers. UV fatigued a 4' circle turning them into sieves, and left them about as strong as one ply toilet paper. I've trashed well over one hundred fifty of them.
You would think you need sunshine for UV, but apparently not.
Michigan continues to be very wet and humid.
More rain moving in tonight and tomorrow.
When deliveries are done, back to cutting/splitting till the snow flies.
All of that bark falling off creates a waste pile issue and between the bark and splitter scraps, I probably have 30+ yards of debris to get rid of.

We are going steady with deliveries now every weekend and trying to get a couple done at night during the week. We have plenty of wood left at this point but we have sold more wood this spring and summer than we have ever done before. We got 5 inches of rain the other night and that has slowed down the phone calls a little bit. As to the scraps and bark left over. We keep a 6 yard dumpster on site to throw all the debris in. When we are processing we fill that dumpster once a week with all the sawdust and bark. We rake and clean up every night to keep the yard clean.

All of that bark falling off creates a waste pile issue and between the bark and splitter scraps,

As to the scraps and bark left over. We keep a 6 yard dumpster on site to throw all the debris in. When we are processing we fill that dumpster once a week with all the sawdust and bark. We rake and clean up every night to keep the yard clean.

Yes, it's a pain. But not keeping it picked up is worse, at least for me. Working in one spot, bringing logs to the equipment, saw chips, bark and uglies have to be managed regularly to keep up. And I'm really not doing that much at 65-70 cord. I will be burning last years uglies this year. I collect them in Row Pacs (large foldable plastic crates) until there is enough to bundle on pallets, and the rest, saw chips and bark is used for a berm. At some point a dumpster may be needed. Hard to imagine doing several hundred cord per year. I get about three to four pallets of uglies that don't stack per 20 cord semi load.

As for sales/deliveries: Delivered 1/2 a cord the other day, two pallets. They only wanted one when I got there.
Today, customers that ordered a half of cord came out to look at the wood. Is it seasoned? It is Oak seasoned one year, but to be really good, it needs two years. It's not seasoned two years? It is seasoned one year. It's not seasoned then?
I told them of a tree service down the road. They had been there. Bought wood from them in the spring, but they are out of seasoned.
Said they would be splitting it with another couple at a site-condo campground, and need to talk with them as to how much to buy and how to split it.
Sorry folks, I'm not holding it, but I didn't tell them that.
One pallet is sold along with the other pallet that the previous people didn't want.
Oh, then they wanted to know how much they could get in their jeep. I don't break 1/4 cord bundles.

End of season sales. It is all quite typical.

As for sales/deliveries: Delivered 1/2 a cord the other day, two pallets. They only wanted one when I got there.
Today, customers that ordered a half of cord came out to look at the wood. Is it seasoned? It is Oak seasoned one year, but to be really good, it needs two years. It's not seasoned two years? It is seasoned one year. It's not seasoned then?
I told them of a tree service down the road. They had been there. Bought wood from them in the spring, but they are out of seasoned.
Said they would be splitting it with another couple at a site-condo campground, and need to talk with them as to how much to buy and how to split it.
Sorry folks, I'm not holding it, but I didn't tell them that.
One pallet is sold along with the other pallet that the previous people didn't want.
Oh, then they wanted to know how much they could get in their jeep. I don't break 1/4 cord bundles.

End of season sales. It is all quite typical.
Gotta love those people.

Had a cool rainy couple days a week or so back. Split and stacked a cord of Black Locust and almost a cord of Red Oak. Started a fire burning all of the bark, then started picking up all the dead fall in the woods. Wound up keeping the fire going from Monday till Friday when my wife finally broke down and made me soak the coals till the ashes were cold.

if the weather guessers are close to being right on the winters extended forecast it should be a good fight! low supply and a high demand will put the price for wood through the top !

Based in what I see on CL...the supply does appear a bit light this year. Too early?

Back