Firewood bags

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Hennessy

Reaction score
We are looking for some help in locating bottom drop firewood bags. We have contacted "big bags" in Canada and 123 bags in the Netherlands but neither will ship to America. Does anyone know of a company that sells bottom drop bags in the US?

Try US Bag supply....they sell just about every type ....I get their used "peanut bags".....used once and sold back to them....hold about a 1/4 cord....$8

.(Bags) hold about a 1/4 cord...
I've had the Posch PackFix for four plus years now.
I tried to compare the PackFix and bulk bags. At the time everything I read said bags held 1/3 cord.
I also figured by volume, one pallet with the PackFix would be one cord.
It isn't. (I attribute some of this to the US 16" lengths vs the Euro 12" length.)
I've stacked many, many broken bundles when I initially tried double stacking. Four pallets is a touch over, three pallets is way under.
It was very difficult to compare.
How much do bags really hold?
How many times can they be reused before they can't be reused?
Do you need pallets under them to keep the wood off the ground?
Will the bag stay upright on a pallet?
How do you empty them?
How much do they cost per cord?
I never did really figure it out.

We get different size bags depending on what the bag store has in its used pile....made adjustable metal frames so the splitters can toss the splits in or have conveyor just dump into the bags. With a new size bag....I just bring the first few back and stack them in a cord rick and then take the average....recheck every couple of months to make sure the estimate is still correct.... dont need pallets underneath ......but I would recommend duct taping the strap handles so they don't dry rot in the sun. Then we skid steer them to the trailer and when ready to bag we skid steer to bagging table and dump it out... This reduces touch time significantly at every stage.

I've had the Posch PackFix for four plus years now.
I tried to compare the PackFix and bulk bags. At the time everything I read said bags held 1/3 cord.
I also figured by volume, one pallet with the PackFix would be one cord.
It isn't. (I attribute some of this to the US 16" lengths vs the Euro 12" length.)
I've stacked many, many broken bundles when I initially tried double stacking. Four pallets is a touch over, three pallets is way under.
It was very difficult to compare.
How much do bags really hold?
How many times can they be reused before they can't be reused?
Do you need pallets under them to keep the wood off the ground?
Will the bag stay upright on a pallet?
How do you empty them?
How much do they cost per cord?
I never did really figure it out.

IMG_4944.JPGIMG_4943.JPGIMG_4942.JPGIMG_4941.JPGIMG_2133.JPGIMG_2132.JPGIMG_2131.JPGIMG_3792.JPGIMG_4930.JPGIMG_4914.JPG

We have been using the bags for about 5 years now I think. We originally bought the Woodland Mills bags first, then we switched over to the Dino Bags. We got about 4 years of use out of the woodland Mills bags, the Dino bags I don't see them deteriorating at all yet and we are on year 4 with them now as well. The woodland Mills bags were about $18 a piece, we can get the Dino Bags for about $12 a piece. We will arrange the wood in the bags about 3-4 different time as we fill them to get them as full as we can. Each bag is over a face cord of wood. Before we unload the bags, we throw off the top of the mound on the bags into another empty bag we have sitting in the stands we built for loading them. It takes about 6 of the tops for us to get another face cord of wood. We have pallets under all of our bags, this is the easiest way to move them around. We bought the plastic type pallets right away from a local plastic recycler that gets them from a food supplier. They can only use them once then they have to get rid of them. We might throw out maybe 5 pallets a year at the most, the plastic ones are really durable. The bags stay standing really good on the pallets, I think this year we only had a couple tip over. Sometimes as the wood dries out they will get leaning a little bit. Most of our tipping problems is due to the fact that we only process in the winter and depending on how much snow and ice is in the yard when we set the bags on the ground, come spring time when the snow and ice melts we might get a few that tip over but not that much of an issue. We had a custom side panel built to a pair of rotating forks that we put on our forklift for unloading the bags. We dump each bag into our trailer or dump truck then we go do the delivery. We added the dump truck this year, we were just using the dump trailer before. It really speeded up the delivery process, we could leave the shop now with 2 full cords loaded up, one in the truck, one in the trailer or do 4 face cord deliveries at once now with the dividers put in.

Does certain animal feed come in some of those style of bags? Rather than ask for firewood bags, start shopping for chicken feed bags perhaps?

That's the best set up I've seen, ever, that includes seasoning and smooth handling from slitting to delivery.
Plastic pallets, I'm jealous! And rotating forks for loading the trailer and truck...really, really jealous.
Thanks for posting.
It also allows for someone to more accurately compare bags to the PackFix.

Edit: I'm crediting your extended use of the bags to your rotating fork attachment being very kind to them when dumping. I am surprised UV doesn't degrade them in four years time. Good to know they are working well.

That's the best set up I've seen, ever, that includes seasoning and smooth handling from slitting to delivery.
Plastic pallets, I'm jealous! And rotating forks for loading the trailer and truck...really, really jealous.
Thanks for posting.
It also allows for someone to more accurately compare bags to the PackFix.

Edit: I'm crediting your extended use of the bags to your rotating fork attachment being very kind to them when dumping. I am surprised UV doesn't degrade them in four years time. Good to know they are working well.

Similar setup that I have used.

I get about 3 bags to a cord, though it's with the wood HEAPED to as much as it'll hold... like wouldn't be able to move it without wood falling off.
If filled level, it's probably closer to 3.5 bags to a cord.
Lose probably 10% volume between wet and seasoned.

I wouldn't use regular bags and plan on the wood drying. Even with the vented bags, the wood on top dries better than at the bottom.

I don't know of any bottom dump bags for wood. It would need to be a setup where the whole bottom somehow opened.

Does certain animal feed come in some of those style of bags? Rather than ask for firewood bags, start shopping for chicken feed bags perhaps?

Yes, but the bottom spout isn't that large. Works fine for fertilizer or feed, though even that can clogs up.

Would need pretty much the whole bottom to open. That would be tough to design to be safe, durable, and cheap.

Also those bags are more or less water proof. Wet wood will end up a moldy rotten mess.

Back