Firewood Conveyor Motor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Splitter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys someone gave me an electric motor to use on my elevator heres my dilema: 3hp 120v 20A motor 3450 RPM. Thats way to fast soooo.....what do i do to get my griven pulley down to 200 RPM is that to slow or that right speed for a firewood conveyor. Thanks Guys!!

You would have to do a multiple pulley setup. Otherwise you would end up with about a 60" pulley on the conveyor.

Hey so after looking on the internet i found a RPM to pulley conversion chart and wow 3450 is way to fast, but my father just found in the midst of all his stuff! 1/2 hp 1725 rpm will this work?? And what should the rpm for the Driven Pulley be? 300rpm...?200rpm..? thanks everyone!

I'm no lectrician, but can't you put a... rectifier on there? a dial that you turn down and it lowers the speed via reducing the power to it? We had a conveyor that worked with one for moving feed.

I'm no lectrician, but can't you put a... rectifier on there? a dial that you turn down and it lowers the speed via reducing the power to it? We had a conveyor that worked with one for moving feed.

You would let the magic smoke out. Electricity is made out of smoke. You let the smoke out, and it quits working. :laugh::laugh:

You could change the frequency and get it slowed down some. expense would be high tho...

Look for a gear head for the 3hp, or do a double pulley reduction with about a 6 to 1 on each, and get you about 100 RPM, and enough torque to move rocks!!

-Pat

Might check for a used transmission from a Scag mower (Tecumsha/Peerless OEM) 5 speed, n, r. ratios on one here in:eek:ut
1st 7.00:1
2nd 4.50:1
3rd 3.25:1
4th 2.25:1
5th 2.00:1
Rev 7.00:1

input shaft set up for belt pulley (sheave). output shaft has 8 tooth #40 or 41 sprocket.
fairly common and cheap at old iron shows. sheaves from old snow blowers are useful for cheap big reductions from motor to transmission.

just another idea

Most older hay/grain elevators ran off 540 PTO, and a chain or gear reduction from the shaft to the drive sprockets to get into that 200 neighborhood you mentioned.

I've seen a few set up as electrics, and all of em ran a jackshaft as Bore Pig mentioned, getting a compound reduction. Depending what sort of room you have, it shouldn't be too hard to do. I'll go look at my old elevator out back and see if I can get a pic of the setup on there if it'll help visualize things.

Here's a couple pics of my elevator, should be pretty easy to run a similar setup without a gearbox, just mount a jackshaft from one side to the other with a couple of bearings, and gear reduction as needed/wanted. If I were building it, I'd go with chain drive on one end, and belt drive on the other. Chain for durability (run this on the final reduction - there will be more torque there than on the first reduction), and belt to have something to give if things jam up. I have a slip clutch on this setup, but it might not be cost effective for you to add one.

Got any farmers around with a "Bone Pile" out back? Lots of options and pickings of shafts, chains, sprockets, gearboxes, etc. available for maybe not much more than asking.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I need to drag this thing out of the weeds this spring, shorten it up, lose the drag hopper, and put a hydraulic motor on it to run it. After my splitter gets redone, it will run off the splitter hydraulics. If I need to use it before that, I have some long hoses I could run from the tractor to it. (The tractor PTO is already running the splitter.)

Gearbox off an old front tine tiller can often be picked up cheap when the motor bites the dust. Reduction ratio varies, but puts it in the range to run a conveyor and the rest can be taken care of with a chain and some sprockets. Some will give you two speed forward and one reverse too.

Mr. HE:cool:

Thanks everyone very much. I hooked the 1hp motor up last night it seems to run pretty well. I have the motor shaft has a 2" pulley on it and the driven shaft has a 7" pulley on it, seems to work out pretty well.

I also have I believe an old Kelly ryan grain elevator and the way its set up it would be to fast and the chain that's on it now is pretty light for wood and running it to fast wood break the chain plus may be make the firewood tumble if elevator is set at a steep angle would what speed in ft per mn would be the best I was thinking 30 to 50 or is that to slow

I'Am looking for a hyd motor for my conveyor it 18foot long for firewood

Setup the motor to run a hydraulic pump and power it with a hydraulic motor. Will be able to valve it to adjust the speed too.

What size motor?

The one you have I'd imagine would be plenty fine.

The 30ft conveyor we have is hydraulic and run off a gas engine... Power Ese I think is the brand. Made in Mexico maybe? I think it's like 5hp, runs the conveyor fine at idle.

The one you have I'd imagine would be plenty fine.

The 30ft conveyor we have is hydraulic and run off a gas engine... Power Ese I think is the brand. Made in Mexico maybe? I think it's like 5hp, runs the conveyor fine at idle.
Need no the number on the motor

Latest posts

Back