Firewood Conveyor Motor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_5314.jpg
This came off a BuiltRite 28' belted firewood conveyor. Powered by a GX 160 Honda. There is a flow control valve to regulate belt speed.
The conveyor tipped backwards, which I believe contributed to the hydraulic motor shaft failing the following year due to stress fatigue from misalignment.
If I remember right I ordered a new motor from Surplus Center.
I also changed the mount at that time, adding an 'overhung something' to protect the hydraulic motor from side stress, and changed the coupler from a solid coupler to a double chain coupler.
Good luck...
IMG_5498.jpgIMG_5305.jpgIMG_5313.jpg

I like to no what motor you got from surplus center? thank I 'am building a convey for firewood.

I'll get a picture of replacement motor.
Post it tonight.
I do not recall numbers on it.
I think they, Surplus Center, cross referenced the Eagle numbers and sent me a motor.
I ordered a pump also, from BuiltRite, because I could not find numbers on the old hydraulic pump.
BuiltRite sent me a high/low pump like in a wood splitter.
It is still on the shelf.
Two reasons it's on the shelf.
One is the original is still working, but weeping around the shaft. That's why I ordered a new one.
But...before installing...
I read that hi/low pumps should not be used with hydraulic motors. Because the speed of the motor, therefore the belt, is not predictable. A load, or lack of one as in wood dropping off the conveyor, can cause speed changes. Not good.
I seriously question what is going on, and if the pump BuiltRite sent me is the right pump for the purpose.
Getting the right pump was why I went direct to the manufacturer.
I bought the conveyor used, lightly used, when it was three years old.
That was maybe ten years ago.
I bought the pump from BuiltRite last summer/fall.

Post it tonight.
I think they, Surplus Center, cross referenced the Eagle numbers and sent me a motor.
I ordered a pump also, from BuiltRite, because I could not find numbers on the old hydraulic pump.
One is the original is still working, but weeping around the shaft. That's why I ordered a new one.
I read that hi/low pumps should not be used with hydraulic motors. Because the speed of the motor, therefore the belt, is not predictable. A load, or lack of one as in wood dropping off the conveyor, can cause speed changes. Not good.
I seriously question what is going on, and if the pump BuiltRite sent me is the right pump for the purpose.
You the only one help me so thank.

Sandhill, how wide is your conveyor belt. I have two electric drive conveyors, one 14ft and the other 18ft but the belt area is only 12in wide. I was planning on using them on my processor, one to advance the log and the other for carrying off the splits but have decided to go a different route. I plan on using parts off my conveyors to build a wider split conveyor and make a paddle wheel conveyor for moving the logs. Just wondering how wide I should make it.

Sandhill, how wide is your conveyor belt. I have two electric drive conveyors, one 14ft and the other 18ft but the belt area is only 12in wide. I was planning on using them on my processor, one to advance the log and the other for carrying off the splits but have decided to go a different route. I plan on using parts off my conveyors to build a wider split conveyor and make a paddle wheel conveyor for moving the logs. Just wondering how wide I should make it.
20'' inch wide I have not build it .Jest getting the part together

View attachment 713248
This came off a BuiltRite 28' belted firewood conveyor. Powered by a GX 160 Honda. There is a flow control valve to regulate belt speed.
The conveyor tipped backwards, which I believe contributed to the hydraulic motor shaft failing the following year due to stress fatigue from misalignment.
If I remember right I ordered a new motor from Surplus Center.
I also changed the mount at that time, adding an 'overhung something' to protect the hydraulic motor from side stress, and changed the coupler from a solid coupler to a double chain coupler.
Good luck...
View attachment 713251View attachment 713252View attachment 713253
Look like it got lot of torque.

Post it tonight.
I went to surplus center and from is one 2.43 Dynamic BMM40FBIU has low rpm and 600 toque

D
Jrhydraulic want 368$ for there motor
Did they say how many cuin size the motor is. Surplus center has a big selection of stator rotor and geromotors for less than $200.
https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydra...ief-Hydraulic-Motor-273051-9-12318-80-2-P.axd
https://www.surpluscenter.com/Brand...ef-Hydraulic-Motor-273052-9-12318-100-2-P.axd
https://www.surpluscenter.com/Brand...ic-BMPH160H2KP-Hydraulic-Motor-9-7077-160.axd
Just a few examples of motors that could work

D

Did they say how many cuin size the motor is. Surplus center has a big selection of stator rotor and geromotors for less than $200.
https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydra...ief-Hydraulic-Motor-273051-9-12318-80-2-P.axd
https://www.surpluscenter.com/Brand...ef-Hydraulic-Motor-273052-9-12318-100-2-P.axd
https://www.surpluscenter.com/Brand...ic-BMPH160H2KP-Hydraulic-Motor-9-7077-160.axd
Just a few examples of motors that could work
looking at a motor whit low rpm and 400 toque?

Sandhill, did you mean that it's a 2 stage pump? If it is then it really doesn't likely matter. It would only kick into 2nd stage if it jammed or you put too much wood on it otherwise it would just stay in the high flow 1st stage. I prefer a belt setup so that I can just set the belt tight enough so that if a split jambs then it just slips the belt.

looking at a motor whit low rpm and 400 toque?
rpm and power can be controlled by flow and pressure. How many gpm and at what pressure do you intend to use with your motor. Is your motor going to be direct coupled to the conveyor wheels or will you be using sprockets/pulley gearing to reduce conveyor speed.

I'd do it at least as wide as the splits are long.

The conveyor on my processor is only 12" wide. It works ok, but would work even better if it was at least 16-18" wide.
If I piece gets sideways it can jam up the splitter tray a bit.

I ordered it by mistake, didn't realize that's what they were sending me. The processor I had been around and used a little had a different model conveyor that is 24" wide which is what I was expecting.
They didn't even ask on the width, just length.

moonboy, I converted my electric conveyor to gas by buying a cheap gas motor and a clutch. $200 or so. If you do a search on my user name and the word "conveyor" you will find pictures of my different conveyors. I have 6 or so of them.

View attachment 713372 View attachment 713376

That's an odd setup with the conveyor powered at the bottom so it's pushing the chain. Does it work ok? I'd imagine the chain needs to be kept pretty tight?

Every firewood conveyor I've seen is powered at the top so it's pulling the chain up.

A belted conveyor should be pulling from the top, but a chain drive like the one shown is actually pushing and pulling. I know chain drive equipment runs both directions, same amount of tension both ways, without any problems. Machines with long drive chains do run a tensioning idler so the chain doesnt jump the sprocket. I would think as long as the drive chains would be on a conveyor there are some means of reduceing the slack

rpm and power can be controlled by flow and pressure. How many gpm and at what pressure do you intend to use with your motor. Is your motor going to be direct coupled to the conveyor wheels or will you be using sprockets/pulley gearing to reduce conveyor speed.
I'am lerne
I'am learing on the hydraulic part. thanks

Back