Firewood Conveyor Motor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Choppy, it's actually a grain elevator and not a purpose built firewood conveyor. I've been using it for maybe 8 years or so. The paddle chains don't have to really be that tight for it to work good. It is chain drive to belt. I do have 2 real firewood conveyors and they are top drive units with electric gearhead motors on them. Laying in my fenceline for about 3 years now. The small Blackcreek firewood conveyor I just bought is lower drive too with single chain in a sloped trough. 20181118_124742.jpg 20181118_124744.jpg

I going to start building the conveyor soon as the whearther
OK thanks
Name of motor?
Choppy, it's actually a grain elevator and not a purpose built firewood conveyor. I've been using it for maybe 8 years or so. The paddle chains don't have to really be that tight for it to work good. It is chain drive to belt. I do have 2 real firewood conveyors and they are top drive units with electric gearhead motors on them. Laying in my fenceline for about 3 years now. The small Blackcreek firewood conveyor I just bought is lower drive too with single chain in a sloped trough. View attachment 713649 View attachment 713650
I see you got help.I mit go that way.thanks.I'am getting a lot of help so thanks

Choppy, it's actually a grain elevator and not a purpose built firewood conveyor. I've been using it for maybe 8 years or so. The paddle chains don't have to really be that tight for it to work good. It is chain drive to belt. I do have 2 real firewood conveyors and they are top drive units with electric gearhead motors on them. Laying in my fenceline for about 3 years now. The small Blackcreek firewood conveyor I just bought is lower drive too with single chain in a sloped trough. View attachment 713649 View attachment 713650
Is the motor gear reduction?

Yes the Blackcreek one has a motor reduction unit on it. The other one has a chain drive and then belt drive jackshaft to slow it down. If I were you I would use jack shafts and pully sizes to slow the motor down. And if I were you I would start out with a hay conveyor and just beef everything up to what you need. I have tons of work in progress projects on the go. The one on the trailer is made from 2 different conveyors, I finished it the weekend before I bought the Blackcreek at an auction, it's moved back onto the fence line for later. Last picture is a rubber belt conveyor that came off a truck, was used to load shingles onto the roof of houses. I think I paid around $300 for it. Everything there except for the hydraulic power pack. 25' long fibreglass boom and has swivel. If I ever get around to doing anything with it. I'm leaving in 15 minutes to go pick up another auction purchase. Pics later. 20181103_174614.jpg 20181103_145847.jpg 20181102_092903.jpg

Yes the Blackcreek one has a motor reduction unit on it. The other one has a chain drive and then belt drive jackshaft to slow it down. If I were you I would use jack shafts and pully sizes to slow the motor down. And if I were you I would start out with a hay conveyor and just beef everything up to what you need. I have tons of work in progress projects on the go. The one on the trailer is made from 2 different conveyors, I finished it the weekend before I bought the Blackcreek at an auction, it's moved back onto the fence line for later. Last picture is a rubber belt conveyor that came off a truck, was used to load shingles onto the roof of houses. I think I paid around $300 for it. Everything there except for the hydraulic power pack. 25' long fibreglass boom and has swivel. If I ever get around to doing anything with it. I'm leaving in 15 minutes to go pick up another auction purchase. Pics later. View attachment 713764 View attachment 713765 View attachment 713766
Let me no on the belt conveyor if you want to sale it and there do you live?I live my Eagle mi.

Moonboy, I'm in Ontario about right across Lake Huron from Bad Axe on the thumb nail. I have a buyer interested in it to put back on a truck for shingles. I don't think it would stand up to daily wood use.

These guys have a John Deere one about hour away from you $1000. PTO drive and could convert it to gas motor easily. http://www.hodgesfarmequipment.com/productdetail.php?idx=1502

The one you have I'd imagine would be plenty fine.

The 30ft conveyor we have is hydraulic and run off a gas engine... Power Ese I think is the brand. Made in Mexico maybe? I think it's like 5hp, runs the conveyor fine at idle.
What size hydraulic motor does it have

That a good blow off

How about instead of being lazy and rude you do a bit of research and call around? Many people have given you info and ideas, take the ball and run with it buddy.
What more are you expecting, me to drive over to your trailer house and build it for you?!

I gave you all the info I know. What's so hard about calling Block Buster and ordering a conveyor motor from them? Or seeing if they would give you some info on what you'd need?

How about instead of being lazy and rude you do a bit of research and call around? Many people have given you info and ideas, take the ball and run with it buddy.
What more are you expecting, me to drive over to your trailer house and build it for you?!

I gave you all the info I know. What's so hard about calling Block Buster and ordering a conveyor motor from them? Or seeing if they would give you some info on what you'd need?
OK

Moonboy, most of us here use and abuse our equipment and name tags are usually worn off pretty quick or covered in grease and dirt. Also lots of it is buried in 3 or 5' of snow this time of year. Choppy runs lots of equipment and like me I'm sure he has no idea of part numbers or specs things are we just fix it and keep going. I myself jury rig lots of stuff just to keep it going or to build it. I bought 3 different hydraulic motors for my processor before I found one that seemed to do the job. Original one was obsolete and couldn't find anything like it so I bought what I thought would work and made my own brackets to mount it.

It doesnt take as much power as one thinks to run a hyd belt conveyor. A typical 14'-16' ft conveyor runs on 4 or 5 gpm of oil Pressure is usually in the 400-500psi range and conveyor speed is generally around 350ft min. Now you can start doing the math to decide what size motor you need to achieve those number. The speed of the conveyor will be determined by the size of the conveyor wheel. ex. lets say a conveyor belt wheel with the belt measures 12 inches. That would mean it travels about 3.1ft ft for every revolution. You want to travel 350ft a min so you would divide 350ft/3.1 which would give you, let me pull up my calculator, = 113 rpms to get the speed you want. Now you can choose a motor that will turn 113rpm with 4-5 gpm of oil. A gpm of oil is 231cuin. per in. mutiply times 5 for 5gpm or 4 for 4gpm of oil flow. Calculator again, 4gpm x 231cuin of oil= 931cuin of oil permin.. To get the size motor you would need to use that many cuin of oil for the speed you want to run you would divide the 931cuin per min by 113rpms=8.23cuin motor. I can tell you, most of those small conveyors dont use 8.23cuin motors to turn the conveyor. They will use a smaller motor that turn faster and gear it to get the speed they want.. Anyways, I am not designing a conveyor, only trying to give you some ideal of how to do the math to do your own design. Only you know how much oil flow and pressure you have available, and how longxwide of a conveyor you need to build and how fast you want the conveyor to turn.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydra...u-in-Ross-MAF16011-Hydraulic-Motor-9-9794.axd

It doesnt take as much power as one thinks to run a hyd belt conveyor. A typical 14'-16' ft conveyor runs on 4 or 5 gpm of oil Pressure is usually in the 400-500psi range and conveyor speed is generally around 350ft min. Now you can start doing the math to decide what size motor you need to achieve those number. The speed of the conveyor will be determined by the size of the conveyor wheel. ex. lets say a conveyor belt wheel with the belt measures 12 inches. That would mean it travels about 3.1ft ft for every revolution. You want to travel 350ft a min so you would divide 350ft/3.1 which would give you, let me pull up my calculator, = 113 rpms to get the speed you want. Now you can choose a motor that will turn 113rpm with 4-5 gpm of oil. A gpm of oil is 231cuin. per in. mutiply times 5 for 5gpm or 4 for 4gpm of oil flow. Calculator again, 4gpm x 231cuin of oil= 931cuin of oil permin.. To get the size motor you would need to use that many cuin of oil for the speed you want to run you would divide the 931cuin per min by 113rpms=8.23cuin motor. I can tell you, most of those small conveyors dont use 8.23cuin motors to turn the conveyor. They will use a smaller motor that turn faster and gear it to get the speed they want.. Anyways, I am not designing a conveyor, only trying to give you some ideal of how to do the math to do your own design. Only you know how much oil flow and pressure you have available, and how longxwide of a conveyor you need to build and how fast you want the conveyor to turn.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydra...u-in-Ross-MAF16011-Hydraulic-Motor-9-9794.axd

350ft a min seems awful fast. I've never timed the 2 we have, but I'd guess it's more around 50ft a min. I'll time it tomorrow just for S&Gs, maybe I'm way off on my guess.

I know it's almost too quick for 1 person to be in the truck stacking to be able to keep up.

Moonboy, most of us here use and abuse our equipment and name tags are usually worn off pretty quick or covered in grease and dirt. Also lots of it is buried in 3 or 5' of snow this time of year. Choppy runs lots of equipment and like me I'm sure he has no idea of part numbers or specs things are we just fix it and keep going. I myself jury rig lots of stuff just to keep it going or to build it. I bought 3 different hydraulic motors for my processor before I found one that seemed to do the job. Original one was obsolete and couldn't find anything like it so I bought what I thought would work and made my own brackets to mount it.

I'm wondering if the guy is just a troll actually.

I'm not sure if it even has a tag. If it does it's in a spot that I haven't seen. I know the price because I called Block Buster about it a couple months ago. It's starting to leak and I wanted to see about a seal for it. The seal was like 1/4 of the price of a new motor, which was something like $200.

Latest posts

Back