Firewood Conveyor Motor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That 350ftmin number I took off a commercial made conveyor for fire wood. I used it to show the math, it wasnt meant to be the ideal number to shoot for. Also, I think most conveyors have a flow control to regulate belt speed. The 350ftmin number is probably max speed.

I did a littl more seaching, the Multitek cconveyors run at 80 ftmin, but I dont think the drums are 12in in dia either.

Moonboy, most of us here use and abuse our equipment and name tags are usually worn off pretty quick or covered in grease and dirt. Also lots of it is buried in 3 or 5' of snow this time of year. Choppy runs lots of equipment and like me I'm sure he has no idea of part numbers or specs things are we just fix it and keep going. I myself jury rig lots of stuff just to keep it going or to build it. I bought 3 different hydraulic motors for my processor before I found one that seemed to do the job. Original one was obsolete and couldn't find anything like it so I bought what I thought would work and made my own brackets to mount it.
I"am getting the point, I jest did not want to buy the wrong parts.I'll give up dates on the build of the conveyor.

I still think that unless you are doing firewood full time that a hay elevator would be a good start for you. Cheap enough for a decent used one and then you have time to find the parts and build a heavy duty one if you need it.
I sale around 500 face cord a year I have over 500 on the ground to split I'am 60 and arm I tried.I'am red
I still think that unless you are doing firewood full time that a hay elevator would be a good start for you. Cheap enough for a decent used one and then you have time to find the parts and build a heavy duty one if you need it.
I sold about 500 face cord of wood so far this winter.I have over 500 face cord on the ground to be split I 'am 60 arm are tried. I'am red, retried examine dangous

Moonboy: You are more than welcome to come and take a look at the BuiltRite conveyor. 500 face cord, assuming three face cord per cord, is a lot. I would love to jump my production to that much per year.
I all most got my built.Thank for help for all the replies

I am pretty new at conveyor stuff, but am trying to get up to speed fast because my 67 BD is soon. My particular needs are that there is never any electricity near by. So want to build or buy simple effective. Why would some one want to mess with a hydro pump and motor with out any purpose. It is easy to have a multi position pulley on motor or part of the drive system and also protecting system from a jam. I have only been around a hand full of conveyor that were not my own. At this moment is it better to build with new or convert some thing older such as a hay elevator. If the cleats or angle iron rub on the base do they not wear pretty fast. Thanks

I am pretty new at conveyor stuff, but am trying to get up to speed fast because my 67 BD is soon. My particular needs are that there is never any electricity near by. So want to build or buy simple effective. Why would some one want to mess with a hydro pump and motor with out any purpose. It is easy to have a multi position pulley on motor or part of the drive system and also protecting system from a jam. I have only been around a hand full of conveyor that were not my own. At this moment is it better to build with new or convert some thing older such as a hay elevator. If the cleats or angle iron rub on the base do they not wear pretty fast. Thanks
The only reason I can think of to go with hyd is if you can connect it to the current hyd system of the splitter. Electric isnt a option for me and I would guess the same for many people. Haveing a conveyor with a seperate gas engine would have certain advantages. On advantage is you can take the conveyor without being connected to a splitter and throw wood out of a pile to load a truck or trailer. Or if you need a conveyor somewhere else, then you dont have to drag your splitter with it.

Buying versus building I think depends on if you have to buy all new parts and steel or if you have a few things laying around you can use. It also depends on you or your bestest buddies fabrication skills. If you have to hire out the the welding and fabrication, I would almost bet you can buy cheaper than build. I have two conveyors I bought to adapt to my wood splitter, both electric, I have a new predator engine not being used, and I am still thinking about starting from scratch. But I am a glutten for punishment. If I do start from scratch, you can be sure I will rob parts off the conveyors I already own. I want to widen them and convert from belt to chain.

I just recently changed my grain conveyor from electric to gas. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but it should work fine. I just used my generator to power the conveyor before and it really wasn't that much of a problem and the generator got used once in awhile.

It's easy to power it with hydraulics off the top of the conveyor I'd guess?

Have close to 10,000hrs on the bigger conveyor, it's not worn out from the cleats running metal on metal.

That 350ftmin number I took off a commercial made conveyor for fire wood. I used it to show the math, it wasnt meant to be the ideal number to shoot for. Also, I think most conveyors have a flow control to regulate belt speed. The 350ftmin number is probably max speed.

I did a littl more seaching, the Multitek cconveyors run at 80 ftmin, but I dont think the drums are 12in in dia either.
I got the DFC motor for ebay for 149.00 free shipping 250-114k p 10373 sc 20-4

I"am getting the point, I jest did not want to buy the wrong parts.I'll give up dates on the build of the conveyor.
This half of what I have to split

Attachments

• splitter 001.jpg
    splitter 001.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 12
This half of what I have to split
Around here there no small farm they sold the elevator to scrap yard guys.If you find one they want 1000$ for them.So far I have 700$ in this one.

My plan is to use #60 chain because that is what I have seen most of. There are about 3 or 4 hay elevators that might be a start. I am pretty sure that I would use 3 or 4 std hp motors. Hydraulic power just seems like another extra motor and tank to worry about with no advantage. To change speeds just move the belt to a different position. If I can find some cheap plate I would build from scratch. The biggest width would be 10'' unless I can figure out a way to transfer bundles with out tearing them apart. Thanks

Not much strength difference in A2050 and #60 roller chain. The 2050 is good for over 6000lbs, #60 is around 7000lbs. Lot of difference in price. If a person is going to build a 20ft conveyor, It would take about 80ft of chain. If your going to have two chains pulling the drag bars. Its cheaper to buy a 100ft roll instead of the standard 10ft lenghts.

What size chain are you using. I am thinking about going with a2050 chains, https://www.walmart.com/ip/A2050-Co...819840184?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0 and using this type of attachment links,https://www.rollerchain4less.com/C2...MI5oe-1NrG4AIVCV8NCh23HAciEAQYAiABEgI5K_D_BwE every 2ft to mount my drag bars too.
Go to Rollerchain4less SDC55 they have the sprocket to.They come in 10ft .So if you want to build a 40 ft conveyor you need 4 of then, start to add up.Then you need something to kook to the chain to push the wood up the conveyor.I went with 1 inch angle iron.I had to go to a machine shop to get the sprocket a key way and 2 set srew have not got then back.They are 3/4 hole with key way,. I got the shaft from zoro 3/4 with key way 24inch long.

My plan is to use #60 chain because that is what I have seen most of. There are about 3 or 4 hay elevators that might be a start. I am pretty sure that I would use 3 or 4 std hp motors. Hydraulic power just seems like another extra motor and tank to worry about with no advantage. To change speeds just move the belt to a different position. If I can find some cheap plate I would build from scratch. The biggest width would be 10'' unless I can figure out a way to transfer bundles with out tearing them apart. Thanks
You have to go with a motor with geardution

Back