Firewood- favorite saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually use my MS461 with a 25" bar most when cutting firewood- love that saw! My 2nd saw I have with me for backup is usually the MS362 with 20" bar. The 362 is in the sweet spot of weight and power for a one saw plan. I am too good at pinching bars or hitting steel. I don't like to mess with chains in the woods and would rather switch saws to finish so I always have two.

I am usually cutting one or two loads at a time and a heavier saw that cuts faster is way worth it to me.

I used to say my Stihl MS 361 was the ideal firewood saw, backed up by a Stihl 026 PRO for smaller work. However, somebody sold me a Husky 353 and I can't put it down. For the bigger stuff and for noodling, I reach for my Husky 257 or the 51 that I beefed up. When it comes to fuel economy, the Husky 350 and 353 are impossible to beat. One tank of fuel in either of these two saws lasts about as long as I do and most of the time it's enough to fill my pickup truck.

Wood doc, I have a 340 and it it's cut from the same cloth as the 350/353. Very light and powerful too for the size. It's blown up at the moment, belonged to a friend. He replaced it with a 435e or something newer like that, hates it.

The 340 has similar weight to the Echo CS400 which is also a very fuel economical saw. The Huskies have way more torque though. A 350/353 piston 10 or so cc bump, and cylinder with a port job and a pop up piston should make it kick the Echo's ass up and down the street.

Nothing starts like an Echo though.

Wood doc, I have a 340 and it it's cut from the same cloth as the 350/353. Very light and powerful too for the size. It's blown up at the moment, belonged to a friend. He replaced it with a 435e or something newer like that, hates it.

The 340 has similar weight to the Echo CS400 which is also a very fuel economical saw. The Huskies have way more torque though. A 350/353 piston 10 or so cc bump, and cylinder with a port job and a pop up piston should make it kick the Echo's ass up and down the street.

Nothing starts like an Echo though.
I believe today you would have to go all the way up to a Husky 455 or more to beat the Husky 353. I suggest you keep that Husky 340. You would likely have to go to an Echo CS490 to beat it. And, yes, I also like the way the Echo saws always start.

I pulled my Echo CS3900, a shelf queen, off the shelf the other day and it started right up as if I had run it last week. It had no trouble pulling an 18" bar. Echo saws still amaze me. I seldom criticize them and usually praise them instead.

I had a ms 250 for 15 years that replaced my old pioneer 1420 and that saw worked well for me it was lighter than the old pioneer and started well and all the time for me.. i just upgraded to a new ms261c-M and wow night and day. I have ran a few other saws and I'd have to say power and weight the 261 is hard to beat in the stihl line..

I had a ms 250 for 15 years that replaced my old pioneer 1420 and that saw worked well for me it was lighter than the old pioneer and started well and all the time for me.. i just upgraded to a new ms261c-M and wow night and day. I have ran a few other saws and I'd have to say power and weight the 261 is hard to beat in the stihl line..
what are you running for a bar on the 261?

it should really shine with a 16

if you have a 16 or can borrow a 16 with a sharp chain it would be worth a try especially for a day when bucking rounds repeatedly.

the 20 is very nice for felling and limbing because you reach less and bend over less , if you have nearly the hole bar in the wood it's just draging less chain less resistance = more chain speed and keeping rpms up , less stress on the saw.

I will have to look into it I have 023with a 16 inch bar just wondering about the chain i would need.. thanks for the tip

I was originally thinking 026 , 260 , 261 which are all the same then I went and looked before I even saw Ryan's post cause as soon as I posted I though wait they did have a smaller mount on some and it is definitely different. I edited then saw Ryan's post but thanks pointing it out.

Depends on the size of the wood. For small stuff like tops and doing field work, 346XP, I have two ported and another being built right now.

For general use the 52XPG is strong but don't think it will last as long as the 2 357XP I have.

For big stuff the 288 ported is a monster.

Back