Firewood Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoosterBoy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
hi i am getting 12 cords of wood i was wondering if i split it and pile it and cover the top and bottom with plastic and have it up off the ground

how long can this wood last. can it last 10 or 12 years if a use 1 cord a year
im getting a good price for it but i don't want it to go bad

or should i not split the logs and just keep them off the ground im getting the logs in 16 to 20 ft lengths what should i do? it's all hard wood mix white ash hickory oak and stuff
:greenchainsaw:

thanks
Jason

Last edited:
I've had 6 plus bush cords of red oak, fresh cut 18" and split and piled together on top of skids and covered on top only with metal roofing steel.It took me 15 years to burn it, no problems. If I were to do it again, I would let it stay spread out for a week or two to dry it a little before piling it together.The wood in the centre still wasn't dry.

do you think if i do this with white ash and hickory or other hard woods that i will be ok? i will cover top and put plastic under it also before piling it

also my chain saw is old and cant get parts for it anymore. what would be a real good chain saw for me to get. to cut logs with

thanks
Jason

Last edited:
chainsaw

go to your local stihl dealer and buy one that fits your size (cutting requirements and your ability to handle it and of course for the wood type and size of wood to be cut and something in your price range I found a like new 036 pro at a shop for 275. its a nice midrange saw it cuts well. :chainsaw:

firewood

i wouldn't put the plastic underneath, that will just hold moisture. as was said above i also pile mine on skids and cover with metal. i prefer the jonsered 2159, 2165 and 2171 for the larger stuff, but it all depends on the diameter of these logs.

Gee, I should be so lucky to have such a problem- too much firewood to burn in a season or two! Keeping it off the ground (skids, corregated metal or fiberglass sheets, etc.) is a real good idea. Some of the softer hardwoods may not survive that long a stretch: perhaps burn those in the first years....

Latest posts

Back