Firewood ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pafire

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello All I'm looking for the knowledgeable members to ID this hardwoodIMG_0652.JPGIMG_0653.JPG firewood that is not recognizable to me. I cut these yesterday along with some red oak. The pictured wood is very heavy, more so than the same sized oak.

After more than fifty years or running chain saws wood is just wood. Some of it is very hard and some times it is very soft. I live at 6,000 feet where we have White Oak or Red Oak, Live Oak, Pine White , Fir, Cedar, several kinds of Pine. What does that mean well not much. A few years ago I stumbled onto some fallen trees. I thought wow what a find, So I take one of my saws 80 CC and start cutting. I managed about 6'' and thought maybe some thing is wrong with my saw or chain or? Armed with more saw power managed about 3 or 4 inches more and my chain was too chewed up to continue. These trees were at 7,000 feet where weather is most severe along the edge of our mountain. So I move along to what I am sure are some Pine trees. They were just as hard, but was able to cut about one foot before chain gave out. Conclusion is that no two trees are exactly alike. Because of growing conditions freaks of nature and some times mans effort produce such a wide variety of species that it is unrealistic catalog all species of tree. For most part good hardwood will produce a nice smile when milling or burning. Soft woods can also bring about a sense of accomplishment too. Thanks

Back