Firewood / Log splitter estimate

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
need some advice from some experienced people who cut and split their own firewood. i had 6 ash trees taken down ranging from 6-8" up to 22" in diameter. i've cut all of the wood but would like:

1. an estimate of how many face cords i will get out of this wood.
  2. how long it will take 2 people using a log splitter to split the wood (not necessarily stacking it).
reason i am asking is that i have to rent a splitter from either a big box store (for a 24 hour period but realistically will only be able to run it from about 9AM - 5PM due to village ordinance and daylight) or a rental store for the weekend. price is roughly the same.

if we could complete it in 6 -7 hours that would be best as my son (coming in from out of town for the chore) could return it. if i have to go the rental store route i would have to ask a neighbor to return it monday morning but i would rather not impose on him unless the splitting is going to require more than 6 - 7 hours (i.e. two days, the second day i would work alone).

i've attached a few pictures of the wood that has been cut.
Picture # 1: overview of all the wood
Picture # 2: Pile # 1, front view
Picture # 3: Pile # 1, side view
Picture # 4: Pile # 2, front view
Picture # 5: Pile # 2, side view

View attachment 770505 View attachment 770506 View attachment 770507 View attachment 770508 View attachment 770509

thanks!!
Did you imagine getting all of these replies when asking such a simple questio???. Goes to show how quiet it is in here (on this forum). Everybody must be busy in the timber or doing the firewood thing.
You deserve an "ATTA BOY" award for getting the nitpickers wound up..:happybanana:

need some advice from some experienced people who cut and split their own firewood. i had 6 ash trees taken down ranging from 6-8" up to 22" in diameter. i've cut all of the wood but would like:

1. an estimate of how many face cords i will get out of this wood.
  2. how long it will take 2 people using a log splitter to split the wood (not necessarily stacking it).
reason i am asking is that i have to rent a splitter from either a big box store (for a 24 hour period but realistically will only be able to run it from about 9AM - 5PM due to village ordinance and daylight) or a rental store for the weekend. price is roughly the same.

if we could complete it in 6 -7 hours that would be best as my son (coming in from out of town for the chore) could return it. if i have to go the rental store route i would have to ask a neighbor to return it monday morning but i would rather not impose on him unless the splitting is going to require more than 6 - 7 hours (i.e. two days, the second day i would work alone).

I would guess those piles of rounds should make three cord. My little operation we make around 20 cord a year. Most of the time I have two helper's and all three of us are close to 60 and never worked desk jobs. I like to have one came out the afternoon before the splitting party and we will buck up around three cords as most of my trailers will hold three cords. Trailers are homemade from old grain trucks or dump trucks. I have a homemade splitter with log lift and a 28 GPM pump on a four inch cylinder so its fairly fast. It takes us 6-8 hours to split and stack three cords in the trailer. Usually one 30 minute eating break included. My fun meter is pegged by the time we get the three cord done. Usually I run the splitter and push the rounds up with the skid loader one helper loads the rounds on the lift helps split on his side and one helper stacks in the trailer. I would rent that splitter for the whole weekend since you don't normally split wood.

From the Michigan Department of Natural Resources

"Firewood, in non-packaged form, is sold by a measurement called a "cord" or "fraction of a cord." A "cord" is defined as 128 cubic feet when the wood is neatly stacked in a line or row. A standard or full "cord" would be 8 feet long, 4 feet wide and 4 feet high. You may also hear or see the terms 'ric' or 'face cord' or some other local measurement. These terms have no standard measurements, so be careful when purchasing wood from a buyer that uses these terms. Make sure that you know the dimensions of the pile of wood that is being sold. A 'ric' or 'face cord' is often a stack of wood that is 8' long, 4' high, and 16" - 24" wide, depending."

https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-350-79136_79237_84462---,00.html

And from Minnesota.gov

"Cords
A cord has a specific legal definition in Minnesota:
  • One cord is 128 cubic feet in four foot lengths
  • If the wood is sawed, a cord is 110 cubic feet when ranked, or 160 cubic feet when thrown loosely into a truck
  • If the wood is sawed and split, a cord is 120 cubic feet when ranked, and 175 cubic feet when thrown loosely into a truck (Minnesota Statutes, Section 239.33)
Must I buy my wood in cords?
No. You and the seller may enter into any agreement you choose, but be aware that words like truckload, face cord, rick, fireplace cord, or pile, have no legal definition. The Weights and Measures Division cannot help you in a dispute if the wood is not sold by the cubic foot, the cubic meter, or the cord."

https://mn.gov/commerce/industries/retailers/firewood.jsp

In many states it is illegal to sell firewood by any unit other than the cord (or fractions thereof) or the cubic foot.
So while it may be your understanding that a face cord is 1/3 of a cord, it is not necessarily so. Realistically, it can be anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 cord depending on cut length.

How long is a rope?

around our area (upper NY) everyone seems to sell "face cords" which is meant to imply 16" lengths. i don't know if this is a law in NY or just what everybody adheres to.

thanks for your explanation as far as possibly being other than 1/3 of a cord.

Nice batch of Ash rounds. Nice pics.
I'd get my seasoning/storage area ready by finding a good spot in full sun/wind first and setting down scrap pallets to lay it on.
Then rent the splitter for a weekend but start splitting some smallies with axe/maul/wedges before.
Stack on the pallets and cover the top of stacks only and use next year or year after.
Don't fall for the old wives tale of burning ash same season as cutting it.
It burns WAY more efficiently without water in it and nice and dry.
Also no chance of burning down the house from creosote build-up in the chimney.
Trust an expert when I say...Do it right, do it safe, do it perfect....and have fun.
Post some more pics too. Thanks.

posted the pictures in order to get a "face cord" estimate but glad you liked them.
wish i did not have to have the trees taken down but the #%@!& emerald ash borer killed them,

How do you guys give a time estimate when you don’t even know the physical condition of the O.P..? You do know his experience level is low.

let's put it this way, i'm on medicare but less than 70. :) i can easily do 25-30 miles on my bike at a decent pace so i'm in good health. with my 35 year old son helping out he can supply more of the brawn, pushing the rounds over to the splitter while i operate it.

i have operated a splitter years ago but appreciate some of the tips such as putting a 2x6 level with the base.

the people who have responded have given a lot of good advice and fast. really appreciate it.

Did you imagine getting all of these replies when asking such a simple questio???. Goes to show how quiet it is in here (on this forum). Everybody must be busy in the timber or doing the firewood thing.
You deserve an "ATTA BOY" award for getting the nitpickers wound up..:happybanana:

while some of the estimates are divergent (5-6 hours vs. the whole weekend) i appreciate the input. at least it gives me a ballpark figure of what i'm up against.

will probably rent the splitter for the weekend (actually a few $$ cheaper than the big box store) but have to make sure that my neighbor can help me get it back monday AM (since he has a hitch).

around our area (upper NY) everyone seems to sell "face cords" which is meant to imply 16" lengths. i don't know if this is a law in NY or just what everybody adheres to.

thanks for your explanation as far as possibly being other than 1/3 of a cord.

Here's what New York has to say on the subject:

"Consumer Alert
Bureau of Weights and Measures
How to Avoid Getting Burned When Buying Firewood

Whether you use it to heat your home or just to burn it occasionally in your fireplace, you should be a smart shopper when you purchase firewood.

What Is A Cord?
Firewood is generally sold by a measurement called a "cord." A cord is equal 128 cubic feet. For example, a stack four feet wide by four feet high by eight feet long is a cord.

You may also see wood advertised by a "face cord" with the length of the pieces. A 24 inch face cord is 24 inches wide by four feet high by eight feet long.

In New York, all firewood sales and advertising must include the three dimensions of the wood, that is length, width, and height, with the wood ranked and well stowed."

https://www.agriculture.ny.gov/WM/WMwood.html

Here's what New York has to say on the subject:

"Consumer Alert
Bureau of Weights and Measures
How to Avoid Getting Burned When Buying Firewood

Whether you use it to heat your home or just to burn it occasionally in your fireplace, you should be a smart shopper when you purchase firewood.

What Is A Cord?
Firewood is generally sold by a measurement called a "cord." A cord is equal 128 cubic feet. For example, a stack four feet wide by four feet high by eight feet long is a cord.

You may also see wood advertised by a "face cord" with the length of the pieces. A 24 inch face cord is 24 inches wide by four feet high by eight feet long.

In New York, all firewood sales and advertising must include the three dimensions of the wood, that is length, width, and height, with the wood ranked and well stowed."

https://www.agriculture.ny.gov/WM/WMwood.html
I have not seen where any one is BUYING or SELLING firewood. Just a Father and son venture and some "DAD" that has time on his hands (Probably the same reason we all keep replying) and Hats off to him the OP cuz I don't have a clue how to post a pic like he has done :nofunny:. I hope to see more pics and time spent on "Stuff" details at the end of the splitting session. HINT _ HINT !!:)

let's put it this way, i'm on medicare but less than 70. :) i can easily do 25-30 miles on my bike at a decent pace so i'm in good health. with my 35 year old son helping out he can supply more of the brawn, pushing the rounds over to the splitter while i operate it.

i have operated a splitter years ago but appreciate some of the tips such as putting a 2x6 level with the base.

the people who have responded have given a lot of good advice and fast. really appreciate it.
put it this way… what ever you get done at the time will be more finished and less to do if you need to rent a splitter again! time is irrelevant over torn muscles or broken fingers or worse!. best time spent with your son! enjoy!! lifes short!!!

Time to start thinking about getting hydrated and getting some kinks out for this weekend.
My friend and I have cut and piled about 4 cord and split about 1-1/2 cord so far. Regret there are no pics. Most of it is Black walnut tops and Hackberry that was in the way. The hackberry had very little heartwood and would have been nice grade in a few more year but It will make nice ashes in the bucket.
Time to eat lunch, then go back to the timber.

Grain harvest is finally over here. Been cutting and brushing some hedge trees last couple days. One of my firewood helpers is coming to the farm after lunch hope to get around three cord bucked up this afternoon and the other one is coming out Sat so I hope the three of us will get the three cord split and loaded in the trailer Sat. Usually not cutting wood this late. Still got field work to do.

I have never used a hydraulic splitter but I am fairly certain I could split that in a day with the Fiskars. I would have thought that two blokes and a hydro splitter would knock that over in a day with ease, especially if the one lifting the rounds is in good nick.

I am estimating you have 2.5- 3 cord.

In order to accurately estimate, think of a face cord as a stack of 16" rounds 8' long and 4' high. 24' makes a full cord. Try to envision how many feet of 4' stacks you have to get total amount and divide by 24.

If you have a helper you should be able to get that done in a day if you aren't moving it to stack.

Funny thing about unspilt wood,

Always seems there's a whole lot more in the pile than there really is. In this case the yield is more of a curiosity as the pile is the pile and that's what you'll get.

If you rent a splitter, strongly urge you to work on and finish the larger rounds first. Ash generally splits easily, (exceptions to every rule of course), so if you have to return the splitter before finishing the pile, (weather conditions, help is late, Mr. Murphy makes a guest appearance), you'll leave yourself the smaller, more easily split pieces for the maul.

Noodling if you have a saw big enough, prior to getting the splitter will speed things along, in short do as much prep work beforehand so as not to waste time while the splitter and help is on site.

Last suggestion, have a length of chain available. In the event a big round gets stuck on the moving wedge wrap the chain around the stuck piece and the backing plate. Use hydraulics to free the wedge. Saves the time hammering a stuck piece off the wedge.

When renting equipment, pre-planning to maximize its use while on site, whether it's a splitter or mini-excavator, etc. should be a major part of the job.

Take Care

with a moving wedge, if you get a round stuck, just put a short piece of branch or 2x4 between back end of round and the cylinder or mount, then retract cylinder. I keep a short piece of 2x4 of correct length under the beam just for this.
fixed wedge, more complicated, but chain works then.

Funny thing about unspilt wood, Always seems there's a whole lot more in the pile than there really is.

I agree with this. I'm not standing next to the pile and my eye may be wrong but I don't think there's 2-3 cord in the piles there. I would be guessing maybe 1.5 but not more. Just eyeballing that and wondering if it would half fill a bay in my woodshed (5.5 cords each) and I don't think it would. We're just going to have to wait until the OP has split, stacked and measured it for us to see for sure.

It's more than I would like to tackle on my own in one day but for 2 people in decent shape, it's no more than a decent days work if you are able to get at it. Splitting wood is not very aerobic work and you are hunched over a lot, so unlike brisk walks or riding a bike, I don't find it very pleasant or invigorating.

Using splitter, I split most rounds up to about 20" diameter in size, into only 4 pieces directly into wheelbarrow, and then stack off the ground as I go to reduce multiple bending over time. Middle of winter I get a little more exercise each day by hand splitting the bigger pieces into smaller splits before burning if needed. Only way this doesn't make sense is if you want to burn it soon and you need it dried faster in which case you will take more time splitting rounds into 5, 6 or more smaller sticks.

Factor in some stretching and moving around breaks, to ease the hunching over backache effect. Make sure the young guy lifts any big rounds with his legs. We all think we're immortal when young but pay for our mistakes in later life.

Back