firewood moisture meter reviews

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bumpity bump....

Subscribe .

Im wondering too. Though i don’t feel the need for one it would be a helpful tool at times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my grey general should be here in the mail today

I did a few searches and found several people using it on this forum it seemed to be common and usable.

I have some very dry wood over a year under a roof and newly cut and split but several year dead and piled in logs wood and under a tarp wood cut last spring I am curios what my numbers look like.

most of my wood starts as down or standing dead wood I get some fresh blow downs.

my grey general should be here in the mail today

I did a few searches and found several people using it on this forum it seemed to be common and usable.

I have some very dry wood over a year under a roof and newly cut and split but several year dead and piled in logs wood and under a tarp wood cut last spring I am curios what my numbers look like.

most of my wood starts as down or standing dead wood I get some fresh blow downs.

Let us know what you think of it.

Our wood sources are all over the place too. In the National Forest, the Forest Circus will only let us cut Blow Downs, but last year they had a lot of Standing Dead Fell, then opened up to wood cutters:chainsaw:, Bone Dry Hemlock, not Oak but it did heat our Home Nicely:blob2:, wish my schedule had allowed me to get more of it, had 3 cords of tags go unused:(.
We do fall a bit on private property, and a local tree service may become another source of green wood.

I get Jealous of the guys on here with 10-20+ acre properties with lots of their own hardwoods to cut, we are very predominately Conifers where we can cut, and if the rare Oak or Maple DOES blow down, if you ain't standing there when it hits the ground with a running saw in your hands, all that you will ever see of it is the stump and saw dust left behind, they disappear FAST around here.

Doug :cheers:

Hey Steve, this looks like a rebranded version of your's on Amazon for $30.26 shipped with Prime, what are your thoughts?

Good Tool?

Good Price?

Wood:D You buy it Again?

81c17BIDDfL._SL1500_.jpg

Doug :cheers:

I got the $22.06 grey general digital readout https://www.amazon.com/General-Tool...1-spons&keywords=general+moisture+meter&psc=1

the cover has a calibration contacts on it the manual says that 18.3% +-0.1 is what it should read and it does

it confirmed that the wood that has been in the shed a year that I am down to 1 face cord of because it has been burning very well no hissing easy to light good heat is 12-14% on a fresh split.

the meter also came with a spare pair of pins .

the wood that has been under a tarp for a year and moved under the roof Thursday evening is 16-18 on a fresh split so I will be waiting a to burn it

and the wood that has been in a pile for 4 years next to my shed that got moved under the shed last Saturday is 14-15 on the fresh split but 18-20 at the ends

I will be watching the 2 piles moved under the roof to see how long they take to drop moisture

I burned a little of the wood I moved Thursday night on friday evening , I could tell it wasn't as dry as the other stuff.

much like my addition of a stove top thermometer really aided in a better understanding of what the air controls were doing with that type of burn and stage of burn I think this will give me a better way to understand where I am getting the best drying.

I splurged and bought this one off Amazon for under $20. The description clearly stated it came with a battery, which it did not. So, I used the Amazon link to complain, the vendor contacted me promptly, and rather than shipping a battery from what ever Asian locale, they just credited me $5. So, the net cost was about $15. At that price, it is not likely NASA precision, but it matches up with a buddy's much more expensive one. If I'm off by a percent or two, I figure it will be consistently off, so that I can use it to compare my various piles to decide which is next.

MM.JPG

General MMD4E is what I had to get to be in the Burn Wise program. There's 2 other options, similar models, don't remember them though.

I guess good enough for the state that we can use to certify the wood is dry, must be decent.

I compared it to the fairly expensive Lingo meter that the shop has for checking kiln dried lumber and it's way off, though I also checked with a Harbor Freight one I have and it was about the same as the General, so thinking the Lingo is out of whack. Was reading piss wet wood at 30% and 30yr old kiln dried at 15%

I have two. One is a harbor freight model and one is from eBay. They were both under $20 and read within a percent or so of each other. The harbor freight model has three modes: hardwood, softwood, and concrete. The ebay special has four modes for different species of wood.

The harbor freight takes a stack of watch batteries and the ebay special takes a 9v.

Of the two I like the one from ebay better because it’s a little bigger and the 9v battery. Either one seems to work as intended though.

General MMD4E is what I had to get to be in the Burn Wise program. There's 2 other options, similar models, don't remember them though.

I guess good enough for the state that we can use to certify the wood is dry, must be decent.

I compared it to the fairly expensive Lingo meter that the shop has for checking kiln dried lumber and it's way off, though I also checked with a Harbor Freight one I have and it was about the same as the General, so thinking the Lingo is out of whack. Was reading piss wet wood at 30% and 30yr old kiln dried at 15%
Kiln dried furniture lumber - dried to 8%, but it will rehydrate to apx 12-15% over time depending on conditions. This also varies by type of wood.

Back