Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Firewood prices on the rise ??

Discussion in 'Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment' started by lknchoppers, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Conquistador3

Conquistador3 Addicted to ArboristSite

A couple weeks ago I was at the dentist's and as she always keeps the radio on (to compound my misery, no doubt), they were interviewing this chap... how did he call himself? "Designer firewood producer" or something equally ridiculous. It was obvious he either had no clue what was he talking about or was merely trolling the irritating subhuman hosting the show.
    I hope the latter because if I tried doing what he claims to do I'd have long frozen to death and my body would be found a few millenia from now like the Similaun Man to puzzle pathologists and historian alike.

Little Al likes this.
  2. NSMaple1

NSMaple1 Addicted to ArboristSite

You guys got no sense of ha ha at all...

super3 and unclemoustache like this.
  3. LondonNeil

LondonNeil ArboristSite Guru

$150 for a 6th of a cord? that's going some. Even here in London where wood for the many who have a stove for ambience, and are prepared to pay, is about half that. Typical price here is ~£100 per m3, a cord is ~3.5m3.

chipper1 likes this.
  4. unclemoustache

unclemoustache My 'stache is bigger than yours.

Yes, of course that's a spoof. A very well done spoof, of course. Watch it again and laugh this time. I like the part with the chemicals and the cotton balls!

chipper1 and Duce like this.
  5. lone wolf

lone wolf MS 200T King

Pure BS there!

bear1998 and chipper1 like this.
  6. kodiak

kodiak ArboristSite Operative

If I was to ever get into selling firewood, I’d advertise it as ORGANIC.

chipper1, Jakers, morewood and 2 others like this.
  7. Swamp Yankee

Swamp Yankee Addicted to ArboristSite

Local market see-saw

Local market doing some strange things this year. Late summer, early fall timeframe prices for seasoned CS&D took a $20 - $25 drop from last year due to a soft market. Over the last month, prices have rebounded back to where they were, and there are considerably fewer sellers of firewood around. A lot of the 5 cord a year CL hacks that were screwing up the local market pricing have disappeared. I'm getting 2 or 3 inquiries a day right now without advertising from as far away as 50 miles. People can't find wood and when speaking to callers anyone that advertises seasoned wood is either out of stock, way out on deliveries, or is pushing green as a substitute.

My guess and that's all it is from input on the phone is they didn't think about wood this year due to amount left over from last year's mild winter. Now they're burning and that pile isn't looking as big as when the weather was warmer and the supply options have dried up.

Take Care

8. Duce

Duce ArboristSite Guru

Ok my eyes have been opened. Walk my property twice daily waiting for perfect moment to harvest that special hardwood tree. Precise aging to obtain optimal btu output and consistent ash size and color. Stack by hand to obtain superior reduction of moisture for lowest smoke discharge. We have over 120 face cord ready for the low price of $1200 delivered within 5 miles or $950 loaded in your truck or trailer. 2 free hand selected pieces with every 5th load.:rock::clap::dancing::wtf:

lone wolf, Erik B, bear1998 and 4 others like this.
  9. svk

svk Firewood and Saw Collector

Save those stump pieces that leave the yellow and green ash piles to sell for extra!

lone wolf, chipper1 and Duce like this.
  10. chipper1

chipper1 Tree Freak

I'm waiting patiently to see your ad on CL so I can hit "prohibited", yes I hate the competition:p.

Duce and svk like this.
  11. lknchoppers

lknchoppers ArboristSite Operative

The market here is not for heating HERE. It does get cold here but usually not below 20* at night, just warm enough for people to hang outside and burn firewood. Most people have outdoor fire pits, outdoor fireplaces and indoor fireplaces around here. It's for show and a little temporary warmth. I thought I was a little high at $175 for a half cord but he makes me look cheap......lol.......this is good for our local market it pushes prices up and as customers scan craigslist, they will see his ad and I will get more business. It's strange the way things work out with competition and pricing sometimes. He does have a good ad, a little too much bs but it's good. I have a clear ad with my price structure and stacking prices along with moisture content details. That saves having me having to deal with people that usually buy a pickup load for $65 every year. Construction is booming here and with that there will be more fireplaces & firepits, gotta love it.

chipper1 and svk like this.
  12. Duce

Duce ArboristSite Guru

That is ok with me. Hardwood from the south is not grown with proper soil ph or watered with pure organic water, therefore our premium hardwood product has no equal and will always command a much higher demand and value for a discerning hardwood purchaser. :numberone:

svk likes this.
  13. svk

svk Firewood and Saw Collector

Yeah well my oak grows slower so the rings are tighter hence more dense :D

Duce likes this.
  14. bear1998

bear1998 ArboristSite Member

I think one the only thing that is dense is the 2 goofs sellin the wood on the video...that's my story n I'm stickin to it!

Duce likes this.
  15. Kevin in Ohio

Kevin in Ohio Addicted to ArboristSite

Duce likes this.
  16. flatbroke

flatbroke ArboristSite Member

They are getting 500 a cord in our area. Or at least that is what is being listed. There are some 350-400 cords also.
    Some weird people around here too. One lady asked me if I'd sell her some seasoned oak wood. She only wanted it if it was completely gray as "she knows what dry wood is and it is completely gray".

Duce likes this.
  17. ValleyFirewood

ValleyFirewood Addicted to ArboristSite

Couple years ago I sold a few cords of wood from my own heating supply (I needed to move the racks).

Had a lady call back all pissed because the wood was "ugly" because it was grey.

Duce and flatbroke like this.
  18. Duce

Duce ArboristSite Guru

Sounds like that woman knows her hardwood. Just sell her the wood left out to dry in open environment for 4 or more years (that costs extra).

flatbroke likes this.
  19. Ted Jenkins

Ted Jenkins Firewood by TJ

Just this year have been passing the $500 mark for seasoned Oak stove wood. The last several years I have been getting $500 a cord for stove size and $450 for regular size seasoned Oak. After taking care of my regulars and still having 30 cords extra feels pretty good. However I have very little Pine and am trying focus on getting some extra. Thanks

20. lknchoppers

lknchoppers ArboristSite Operative

What area are you in? Sounds like the market is great there !!