firewood question...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unjer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i was wondering if wood that is wet, as in my cover got a hole in it, is as bad to burn as wood that was cut and burned green. does it produce creosote like green wood, and if the ends are wet will it dry faster than green wood???? thanks for all the info in the past it is great to have a place to ask with so many diverse ideas.

Either way whether its green or wet it will not burn hot and efficient. The water has to burn off and this causes lower temps in the firebox, and can cause cresote buildup. I would take the wet wood and move it to a dry area and burn the wood that is dry first.

Wet Wood

If the wood was dry first, surface water is not a big deal. Driving water from the interior of green wood drastically reduces the burn temp. Surface moisture flashes off in seconds upon hitting the stove. Is the wood already dry?

Listen to hautions11, he said it right.

Surface moisture and "green moisture" have drastically different effects on a wood fire.

hautions11 said:
If the wood was dry first, surface water is not a big deal. Driving water from the interior of green wood drastically reduces the burn temp. Surface moisture flashes off in seconds upon hitting the stove. Is the wood already dry?

Yep, and most of the moisture in cured wood from getting wet will be on the surface. Only the ends absorb any significant amounts.

Harry K

I don't cover my wood until about two weeks before I burn. I've noticed that even if I get a heavy downpour, the seasoned wood is good to burn after being exposed to the sun and wind for a couple of days. I would imagine a hole in a tarp wouldn't let alot of water through it, and the firewood should be good to burn in a few days.

grew up with a wood stove as our only source of heat and dad never tarped the wood. the wood went from the wood pile to the wood rack on the porch(covered) which held i'd say 1/4 of a cord(at most), from there it went into the rack by the fireplace which was filled every 2-3 days. never had any real problems.

ironpig70 said:
grew up with a wood stove as our only source of heat and dad never tarped the wood. the wood went from the wood pile to the wood rack on the porch(covered) which held i'd say 1/4 of a cord(at most), from there it went into the rack by the fireplace which was filled every 2-3 days. never had any real problems.

Whats up Ironpig , I see you made it over here! This group will be a fan of your recent saw purchase!

JH

Wood moisture

So if the ends get wet by rain is it a big deal? My tarp left some of the ends exposed & I noticed the were wet. The top was mostly covered. The wood (red & white Oak)was mostly dead when I cut it. It was split & stacked In April.

I use to tarp my wood.
When the snow build up on it, I have a hard time pulling the tarp.
So now I never tarp, snow builds up I just knock it off and burn the wood.
wet wood is not like green wood.
I have burned wood for years. clean the chimney offend.
there is labor involvement in burning wood but I like the heat.
Also the wood I sell never gets tarped. no complaints yet.

I keep all my firewood outside I just tarp it before the winter ,once it is seasoned it dosent soak up water unless it is lying in it. I only also bring in what I need untill it gets cold so the bugs are dead or you will end up with some new friends in your house and a angry wife.

Back