Firewood Seasoning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markhait

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm sure this question has been posted a million times here, but since I'm new I'll ask again.
I'll be cutting and splitting a few cords of red oak in the next few weeks. What the best way for me to season it. The tree has been cut down for a year now and the blanks are just laying on the ground. I wasn't worried too much about them absorbing much water as they lay on a slope.

Once it get them cut and split, what the best way for me to store them. I want to burn them this coming winter in my stove. I did this last year for the first time and was amazed as to how much money it saved me! Sure it was a little work always making sure the stove pipe wasn't too hot and keeping a fire going, but it sent huge smiles across my face when co-workers talked about and compared their gas bills ;)

The wood I used last winter was mostly maple and I'm pretty sure it was seasoned. It started without much trouble and burned nice and long. I did split some of the above mentioned red oak last year and did burn some. It was tough though...it was definitely not dry. It was tough to burn, but when it did, boy oh boy did it burn long! I burned the red oak because I had no idea how much I would need for the winter and guessed way wrong!

The red oak was probably a face cord and then I went out and bought another face cord to finish the winter. The wood I have left, I'm pretty certain it will last me 2 winters. There is a TON! Its kind of tough for me to get started because I know how much there is, not to mention those darn black flies are in full swing.

Anyway...any thoughts and comment will be appreciated!

Thanks

Cayenne pepper works pretty well. If you like, add a dash of salt.

:yoyo:

Okay, first thing is to GET IT OFF THE GROUND!! THere's more moinsture in the groudn than you think. Pallets work well, and they're not hard to come by for free. Set them on cinder blocks, then stack your wood on the pallets. You can put a tarp over the TOP, but leave the sides open for air circulation.

I've got an old dog kennel that I don't use, if I place pallets on the ground will that be good enough? The top is covered and it gets tons of circulation.

Thanks for the recipe....but can I use salt substitute...damn cholesterol :)

If you haven't done so already, you might want to read some of the stuff in the Firewood & Heating with wood forum.

Pallets on the ground will work OK, too, especially if they're on concrete or gravel. They biggest risk with having them directly on the ground, as far as I can see, is that it makes them more appealing to rodents to use for housing.

My suggestion is that if the oak is not thoroughly dry already, make sure you stack them with a meaningful air gap between rows AND split small. If space permits, only stack a single row wide so every piece gets the same amount of air circulation. And stack in the sun, if you can. That stuff takes forever to dry properly even under the best of conditions - I've got some that I split in spring 2005 and stacked properly as soon as it was split and it is still too wet to burn well.

Markhait said:
I've got an old dog kennel that I don't use, if I place pallets on the ground will that be good enough? The top is covered and it gets tons of circulation.

The dog kennel sounds perfect, but I'd still get the pallets off the ground. More air! And like Markhait says, less appealing as a nesting place for various critters.

BTW, forget this "face cord" business. A face cord is whatever anybody wants to say it is. A cord is always 128 cubic feet of closely stacked wood, and a legal unit of measure.

Markhait said:

Thanks for the recipe....but can I use salt substitute...damn cholesterol :)
Welcome to the the site Markhait,
I was raised in Milford Class of 81 Lived off South Hiil Rd. Dam Yuppies took my hunting grounds and made it into a Sub.
Using your dog Kennel would be a nice place to stack your wood.
Red oak is the best wood to heat a home in Mich.Cut it, SPLIT it, and stack it.
I have a problem agreeing with using pallets to stack wood on. For one you will get mice and chikmonks. They love to make homes in the gaps of the pellets.
What I do is take the limbs And cut the the same size you are bucking your wood. I use the limbs as the first row. When I say limbs I mean 2-3 inch.
This keeps the good wood off the ground. Then when spring time comes I use the limbs taking them and stacking them as I go. and use the limbs to take the chill out of the house in the morning. That way nothing goes to waste.

BlueRidgeMark said:
BTW, forget this "face cord" business. A face cord is whatever anybody wants to say it is. A cord is always 128 cubic feet of closely stacked wood, and a legal unit of measure.

A "face cord in Michigan" is 8 foot long, 18 in. wide, and 4 feet high.
Sold it that way for years. with no complaints.

Seasoning wood

O.K. I'm going to give my invention away! Get a roll of black heavy plastic.I am using 1 cord as an example(4 x 4 x 8)Leave 3 to 4 inches at the bottom.On the top of the pile in the middle stack some extra wood in a square shape.This should give you a loose top(air expansion)Now where you stacked the square wood,cut a hole to fit in a large coffee can.Cut out the bottom,save the top.Duck tape your seams,and duct tape the coffee can in that hole.When it's raining or snowing put the lid on.During warm weather the plastic will balloon out,and the moisture and heat waves will come out the coffee can.You can actually see it! Black absorbs a lot of sun light.
Ed

manual said:
A "face cord in Michigan" is 8 foot long, 18 in. wide, and 4 feet high.
Sold it that way for years. with no complaints.

If anyone ever DOES complain, you won't have a legal leg to stand on.

BlueRidgeMark said:
If anyone ever DOES complain, you won't have a legal leg to stand on.
NO laws in Michigan about selling face cords. I always tell them what they are getting. that way everybody is happy.
Michigan DNR says you get 3 face cords out of a full cord.

Sounds like a good idea

314epw said:
During warm weather the plastic will balloon out,and the moisture and heat waves will come out the coffee can.You can actually see it! Black absorbs a lot of sun light.
Ed

Thanks a lot for posting that idea. I'm getting ready to tarp some wood that I just split yesterday, and I'm going to give your method a try.

Thanks for sharing!

Forget the pallets

I'd forget about the pallets. Out here in Oregon where it rains nearly every day during the winter, the pallets rot faster than the wood causing the pile to sag and fall over. I also have an old dog kennel with a cement floor. I just stack on the cement. I cover each row with a strip of visqueen to keep the rain off the top and leave the sides exposed for maximum drying. The bottom row doesn't look good after sitting out all winter but the loss is minimal as it will still put out some heat after it dries. I normally cut two years ahead of my needs. I leave it out in the open for one year and then put it in the wood shed, which is open on three sides.

Red oak takes a long time to season. I have stuff from two years ago that might be dry by this winter.

I just got about 4 more cord of it this past couple of weeks from storms. I hope to use it in 2008! lol.

I have never used pallets, or anything to sit the wood on. My wood gets stacked on the ground. I use larger unspilt pieces on the ground and stack the split stuff on top of it.

Most of my wood isn't oak, and usually it only takes a year to season with my "on the ground method"

-Steve

Back