ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Traverse Creek Inc

firewood selling questions

cookies

cookies

ArboristSite Operative
i sold about 10 truck bed fulls this past winter of wood taken from trees that were stone dead for years, split every chunk by hand. I decided i get what i put in and grabbed a 25 ton hydraulic splitter from tractor supply when they went on sale this past week. questions are this... how do i decide how much folks get and for how much money? i was giving overflowing 6" bed fulls for 120 bucks if they picked it up and loaded it themselves. every load I listed sold in under 24hrs...i am now able to deliver a truck bed at a time so whats a fair load deliver and unload fee?
secondly I am cutting and splitting up a tree that was fully alive 4 weeks ago, if i split it into fireplace sized chunks will it be ready to burn next winter or this winter and do i need to stack it a certain way so it will dry out by this winter?
thanks for any advice and considerations given, I fully intend to have a huge stockpile ready for this years winter!

cookies

cookies

ArboristSite Operative
yes today was gorgeous! I was hoping for some fresh answers instead of using the search function (it stinks). I am also curious what hydraulic oil/filters folks use in their splitters, I plan to change out the cheapo fluid and filter this came with after the break in (15hrs?). im leaning towards schaffers htc iso 46 (its hot here) and a baldwin filter.

EchoRomeoCharlie

EchoRomeoCharlie

ArboristSite Guru
Most live trees need to dry for at least 18 months to dry enough for good firewood. Oak takes even longer.
Depends on location I guess, but I cut two white oak last year about August. Split and stacked them then, this spring I tested moisture and in the middle of the bigger pieces was about 17-19% which is not ideal, but good enough for most stoves. Most people suggest <20%. Ideally I like mine <15%. This wood will definitely be under 15% if I left it the 12 months till august. I find that most of my wood at 12 months is plenty dry to burn.

farmer steve

farmer steve

outstanding in my field, 5150
yes today was gorgeous! I was hoping for some fresh answers instead of using the search function (it stinks). I am also curious what hydraulic oil/filters folks use in their splitters, I plan to change out the cheapo fluid and filter this came with after the break in (15hrs?). im leaning towards schaffers htc iso 46 (its hot here) and a baldwin filter.
Haven't changed the fluid in mine since I bought it 3 years ago. Read the fine print in your manual as to what type of filter. Mine is a 25 gpm w/BYPASS.