Firewood stack description for selling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMB

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've been cutting some extra firewood to try and sell for a little extra cash. I'm trying to decide on prices, advertising, wood stack/pile descriptions. I've been cutting my wood in 16" pieces and stacking it 8' long by 4' high - making 1/3 of a cord. Around here, I see folks advertising for selling wood in ricks or racks (and some times in cords). Sometimes by the pick-up truck load. Since I starting cutting firewood, and from what I've learned here on AS, I know that rick or rack is not an accurate way to describe a stack of firewood. A face cord of a certain width, a 1/2 of a cord, a 1/3 of a cord, a 1/4 of a cord are better/proper ways to describe a stack of wood. I want to advertise and sell per 1/3 of a cord, but I'm not sure if the folks around here will understand my description. I could give a measurement - 4' high x 8' long x 16" deep, but I don't know if that would help either.

I've also thought about setting a price per pick-up truck load. It would depend on a full-size short box or long box (and I know there are other box sizes these days). The wood would be stacked, not hand thrown, in the box to the top of the rails (or close to it). Does anybody know how much firewood, stacked in a pick-up as I have described, works out to be in terms of measurement? As in is it close to part of a cord, depending on the width?

Any comments or ideas on my ideas, have at it.

Kevin

Last edited:
Get with you local "weight and measures" office (probably a state governed agency...it is around here) and see if they have any pamphlets on guidelines for selling firewood. Like how it should be advertised, method of seasoning and lenght of seasoning of the wood...

We used to sell by the full cord (stacked 4 ft X 4 ft X 8 ft) with 1/3 allowed for air circulation...not stacked tight...we loaded into a 1 ton dump...stacked nicely and folks gave us a hard time we told the to freely measure of truck box and figure out the square footage themselves and then handed them the agency pamphlet and told them if they had issues to turn us in. We never had a complaint after that!! oh and yeah I probably did loose a few customers but if they were like that I didn't want them anyway!!

KMB said:
I've been cutting some extra firewood to try and sell for a little extra cash. I'm trying to decide on prices, advertising, wood stack/pile descriptions. I've been cutting my wood in 16" pieces and stacking it 8' long by 4' high - making 1/3 of a cord. Around here, I see folks advertising for selling wood in ricks or racks (and some times in cords). Sometimes by the pick-up truck load. Since I starting cutting firewood, and from what I've learned here on AS, I know that rick or rack is not an accurate way to describe a stack of firewood. A face cord of a certain width, a 1/2 of a cord, a 1/3 of a cord, a 1/4 of a cord are better/proper ways to describe a stack of wood. I want to advertise and sell per 1/3 of a cord, but I'm not sure if the folks around here will understand my description. I could give a measurement - 4' high x 8' long x 16" deep, but I don't know if that would help either.

I've also thought about setting a price per pick-up truck load. It would depend on a full-size short box or long box (and I know there are other box sizes these days). The wood would be stacked, not hand thrown, in the box to the top of the rails (or close to it). Does anybody know how much firewood, stacked in a pick-up as I have described, works out to be in terms of measurement? As in is it close to part of a cord, depending on the width?

Any comments or ideas on my ideas, have at it.

Kevin

How much does it hold? Measure the width of the box, the height of the stacks and length of bed. Multiply and divide by 128 cu ft = # of cords or fraction thereof. You have to play a bit of Kentucky windage going around the whell wells. I figure mine (thrown) conservatively and then add a bit extra. I know that when I sell a cord, they will get a bit more than a cord no matter how tightly they try to stack it.

Harry K

turnkey4099 said:
How much does it hold? Measure the width of the box, the height of the stacks and length of bed. Multiply and divide by 128 cu ft = # of cords or fraction thereof. You have to play a bit of Kentucky windage going around the whell wells. I figure mine (thrown) conservatively and then add a bit extra. I know that when I sell a cord, they will get a bit more than a cord no matter how tightly they try to stack it.

Harry K

I had thought about loading up my pick-up to see how much wood it would hold, but then thought about just what you posted - measure the box :dizzy:. Thanks for that.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back