firewood stack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boilerhouse47

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A while back I was in a web site that showed how to stack firewood in a circular pile that was supposed to aid in drying. You stacked the wood to a height of about seven feet and the way it was stacked caused the air to travel from the bottom to the top, speeding up the drying process. It had a German sounding name for it. Does anyone know where to find some info on this type of stacking procedure?
Boiler

I have seen that done

My father (who has plenty of time) stacks it that way. He gets it stacked up pretty well that way. I think it would stay a bit drier as well due to the pieces being allowed to shed water like a shingle roof.

-Pat

And how does that speed the drying process? I would think the conventional stack to dry quicker with air being able to hit it a both sides...Not too mention more pratical

-Steve

I stacked like that once. Until it got to about 3 feet tall and then all colapsed. After that I just returned to regular stacks!

Thanks Rspike that is the web site I was looking for.I usually stack in a straight row, but I would like to try this simply because it is different.
Boiler

Freakingstang said:
And how does that speed the drying process?

It creates a chimney effect that draws air through the pile constantly. You are no longer dependent on wind to move some air around, and the inside wood gets air movement just the same as the outside.

cool concept, I didn't think about that the first time around, I was thinking if the center of the pile was too close, there would be no air flow to the inside pieces.

May have to try a small one for chits and giggles when I get bored with my next wood pile. lol

-Steve

They're easy to build. Kinda hard to get the inside pieces stacked right, and once you get over six feet, it's almost impossible to make the "dome". Mine was 16 feet in diameter, and about nine feet tall before the weight of the inside pieces pushed out the wall. You'd be suprised at how much wood you can get into such a small footprint.

Interesting Idea But......

The time it takes to carefully stack that wood means the stacker has lots of time. I am sure it works. But when you handle hundreds of cords one does not have that kind of time. We kiln dry all of our firewood. It comes in green and three days later it gets sold. MC down to 7-10%. We sell it to restaurant chains year 'round as well as bundles for stores. Nothing smells as good as wood giving up its bound water except for ...... well you can use your imagination.

Heck, after spending the time to built such thing I wouldnt be able to bring myself to tearing it down for the sake of stove wood:laugh:

Tho i posted the picture and the web link the " holz hausen" is not mine. #1They are built to quicken the drying time of wood. #2 They do take extra time to build . So...................If you dont have the time to cut wood in the first place and need the wood dryed asap then where is one going to get the extra time to build something like the holz hausen ? I think they are "neat" more than anything . I have seen many pictures of them falling down too . If i was to build them i would have 10+ of them in the back yard .......ha . I think that would look funny . Some people like them and some dont ......I myself cut wood when it should be cut and then have 10 months to dry . I sure in the he(( am not going to be cutting wood in July-August and try to figure out how to dry my wood faster for the up coming winter. If you dont "at least" have your wood cut before summer for the following winter then you are doing something wrong in the first place , the when to cut issue need to be fixed and not how to dry faster. . . . . my .02

Rspike, my wood for this year is all cut,split and stacked in the row style.
I'm just interested in something different, that doesn't get covered blue tarps and looks neat and orderly. I'm working on next years wood already.
Carl:cheers:

boilerhouse47 said:
Rspike, my wood for this year is all cut,split and stacked in the row style.
I'm just interested in something different, that doesn't get covered blue tarps and looks neat and orderly. I'm working on next years wood already.
Carl:cheers:
Good for you ! Its nice to be ahead and also a great idea to do so . The " holz hausen" might be fun for you and you could give it a shot . I have two spots in my yard , 1 for already cut/split / stacked wood and 1 stacked pile for next year . Once i cut all the wood i want / need then i will split it all at once ..... throw in a pile and then stack it.

Have heard that kind of stack "chimneys" moisture out of the wood, but it looks like alot of work to stack. This arrangement (space between rows) works fine to dry it in a (midwest) summer. Sun and wind work well on these piles, but this is only good if ya have quite a bit of space (acreage). Maybe that method is the way to go if limited footprint is available.

Back