Firewood...The Most Important Piece of Equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8 feet long x 4 feet highx 16 to 18 inches deep stack. Times that by 3 in a real pick up.

:D Al
A friend of mine in high school, back in the 70's, had an F250. He made a head board and a tailgat board 4' high. He stacked 2 rows of 24" wood down the middle of the truck. Looked silly with nothing stacked out to the sides. But, that was exactly 1 cord, 4' high, 4' wide, and 8' long. There was no question, one honest cord.

I don't know who fabricated it, but large buckets are nice for high volume materials that don't weigh a lot such as snow, firewood, mulch, leaves, etc. Many companies offer large capacity "snow buckets".

My avatar pic is a wooden box I use on my front forks. Holds about 43 cubic ft. or 1/3rd of a cord of wood. Very handy.

If you want to haul a lot, nothing beats a big truck and 18' trailer.

10h3n6s.jpg

22cmjc.jpg

A friend of mine in high school, back in the 70's, had an F250. He made a head board and a tailgat board 4' high. He stacked 2 rows of 24" wood down the middle of the truck. Looked silly with nothing stacked out to the sides. But, that was exactly 1 cord, 4' high, 4' wide, and 8' long. There was no question, one honest cord.

Except they are almost 6 ft wide to insides of bed, 50-52 inches between wheel wells. Mine is 70 inches between racks.

Except they are almost 6 ft wide to insides of bed, 50-52 inches between wheel wells. Mine is 70 inches between racks.
That was kind of my point. Back then every one cut firewood at 24". It didn't matter how wide the truck was. If you stacked two four foot high rows down the middle of an 8' bed you automatically had 1 full cord, no argument from customers. If you stack wood sideways, like most normal people do, you'll wind up with a customer that argues. They will say "someone told them a pickup can't hold a cord". With two four foot high rows you throw the tape on it and debate over.

Let's see, x27, logrite pickaroon, nice old school cant hook, a couple of nice souped up saws and a big load of red oak. I like your style my friend!

The 562XP isn't worked on, however that can't be said for the totally restored and ported 288XP. I normally don't cut such a small amount but it was super hot out that day and I just wanted some rounds to try out the new/used splitter.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/picked-up-a-new-used-splitter.323672/

I just finished building a boom pole on Friday night for my recently acquired NH 1620 and after 2 days of use, it's my absolute favorite and most valuable firewood tool. There's no way in hell I'd be dealing with 22" long x 28+" oak rounds otherwise.

A log lift is great, but it doesn't solve the problem of getting rounds to the splitter. With the boom pole and sharpened northern tool tongs, I can cut a round off the log, pick it up, drive over, and set it right on the splitter. No fuss, no wrestling, no rolling.

I may have to recant my original answer, it seems that the piece of equipment that is breaks, immediately becomes the most import piece of equipment. if my saw, skid steer, trailer, truck or splitter breaks, it really slows down my ability to move product. The saw is the cheapest & easiest thing to replace, but still not a good thing.

Most important piece of equipment to work my firewood? No question...My truck.

If my saw breaks, no worries, I have 27 more. If my splitter won't start...meh...I can get by doing something else productive or I can swing a maul. If my trailer burns up a bearing I can get by for a while just tossing into the bed of my truck.

But...gheeze...when my truck breaks down, EVERYTHING comes to a screeching halt. I mean EVERYTHING.

Certainly every tool we have plays a part in our entire operation, and they are all important. But, at least for me, my truck is the MOST important. The only one I have, only one I can afford. Today I burnt up another coil pack and decided to check out a clunking noise from the front end...ugh...ball joint. These are nothing I can defer until a rainy day and they got to be fixed now... which means no cutting, splitting, lugging, and stacking today.

God bless the trucks!

View attachment 674490
Or trailer...I use a trailer to haul....

My f350 superduty has a 5 speed and a v 10. 2 suspensions up from a standard one ton truck. I bought it to pull large boats and trailers with cars on them.. and trailers with tractors. I bought 12 ten foot long huge very old railroad ties.. wow those were no fun to unload. I remember the ties being ten feet long.. could not close my 8 foot 9 inch bed tailgate.

Man, if I only had a truck...

Hey, I know have a truck - my dream truck!

Been looking for an OBS F-350 with the 7.3 for a while now, finally came across an awesome specimen. 97' w/ 224K miles. Heck, my 2012 Mazda sedan has almost that many miles ;)

Wr86SOR.jpg

YCqrhNJ.jpg

Back