Firewood...The Most Important Piece of Equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodcutteranon

I stack wood on top of wood
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Most important piece of equipment to work my firewood? No question...My truck.

If my saw breaks, no worries, I have 27 more. If my splitter won't start...meh...I can get by doing something else productive or I can swing a maul. If my trailer burns up a bearing I can get by for a while just tossing into the bed of my truck.

But...gheeze...when my truck breaks down, EVERYTHING comes to a screeching halt. I mean EVERYTHING.

Certainly every tool we have plays a part in our entire operation, and they are all important. But, at least for me, my truck is the MOST important. The only one I have, only one I can afford. Today I burnt up another coil pack and decided to check out a clunking noise from the front end...ugh...ball joint. These are nothing I can defer until a rainy day and they got to be fixed now... which means no cutting, splitting, lugging, and stacking today.

God bless the trucks!

Trucky2.jpg

When I start having coil issues- all plugs and coils get replaced at same time- yep its a bit pricy but less than being towed mutiple times. I chased coil issues on a v10 for 6 months- drove me nutz until i replaced the whole set. when the 4.6 v8 started acting up replaced the 4 coil packs and plugs never had to touch it again. same on the 5.4 . You do need to change the oil at about 3k intervals timing systems is very sensitive to dirty oil.

Most important piece of equipment to work my firewood? No question...My truck.

If my saw breaks, no worries, I have 27 more. If my splitter won't start...meh...I can get by doing something else productive or I can swing a maul. If my trailer burns up a bearing I can get by for a while just tossing into the bed of my truck.

But...gheeze...when my truck breaks down, EVERYTHING comes to a screeching halt. I mean EVERYTHING.

Certainly every tool we have plays a part in our entire operation, and they are all important. But, at least for me, my truck is the MOST important. The only one I have, only one I can afford. Today I burnt up another coil pack and decided to check out a clunking noise from the front end...ugh...ball joint. These are nothing I can defer until a rainy day and they got to be fixed now... which means no cutting, splitting, lugging, and stacking today.

God bless the trucks!

View attachment 674490
Is that the "truck"? Looks like a luxury coupe with an open air trunk.IMG_20180728_093512.jpg.....NOW THAT'S A TRUCK

52485e409f4e83138e9bab8d9094d837.jpg
This is my wood hauler. But I had to get a back up truck, because the old girl is about to reach 200k.
ddc194b037a6aeaf80bdb2d98ed9cafc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bought this new in 1994, Chevy stepside 350 Texas Stage Coach custom conversion. Never had to do anything but general maintenance.
I added some helper springs that are rated for 1000lbs. Making the springs equal to a 1 ton. I know the axle is not rated for that but she doesn't sag under a normal load anymore.
The bed is kinda small but thats what trailers are for.

1zlgjt3.jpg

When I start having coil issues- all plugs and coils get replaced at same time- yep its a bit pricy but less than being towed mutiple times. I chased coil issues on a v10 for 6 months- drove me nutz until i replaced the whole set. when the 4.6 v8 started acting up replaced the 4 coil packs and plugs never had to touch it again. same on the 5.4
. You do need to change the oil at about 3k intervals timing systems is very sensitive to dirty oil.

Truck oil thread !!! :laugh:

Mine would be my tractor. I haul from the bush behind my place so don't have to use the truck. My back would never hold up if I didn't have a tractor. It's the only thing that I don't really have back up for other than to use my little Steiners but they won't lift any real weight. I have all kinds of attachments for it to make things easier for me.
IMG_20180707_160317.jpg

Latest posts

Back