Firewood thieves...gonna be a bad year

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And you didn't? Maybe your 8mth old Lab/Rotti has something to do with it?
A good dog is perhaps the best bet for security.
Woodpile dog.

I just had an idea,

We've had a rampage of thefts last month. several house on our road got hit, mostly whatever they could get out of your car. Last week they hit a house for the 2nd time but this time they went into thier barn and stole all thier tack for thier horses. I have a barn and horses and a large wood pile close by..

My idea was to keep a layer of chicken wire over the front of the wood shed and hook it up to the Electric fence for the horses!!

Think that will deter theives??

BS Laws...

I just had an idea,

We've had a rampage of thefts last month. several house on our road got hit, mostly whatever they could get out of your car. Last week they hit a house for the 2nd time but this time they went into thier barn and stole all thier tack for thier horses. I have a barn and horses and a large wood pile close by..

My idea was to keep a layer of chicken wire over the front of the wood shed and hook it up to the Electric fence for the horses!!

The sad part is if anything happens to one of these pieces of sh!t, you're the one that will be in deep poop, not the POS that was robbing you. Sometimes these's no sane justice in this world.

Personally, I see absolutely nothing wrong with cutting off a finger or two if someone is caught stealing, second offence should be a hand. I'd be willing to bet there wouldn't be a third offence...

must have had that rare walking oak....

Possibly. I understand that they thrive in the same climate that stump snakes inhabit.

I just had an idea,

Make sure any copper you have is in lockdown. Copper pipe, radiators, and rolls of wire have been growing legs all over and walking to salvage yards.

I just had an idea,

The sad part is if anything happens to one of these pieces of sh!t, you're the one that will be in deep poop, not the POS that was robbing you. Sometimes these's no sane justice in this world.

Personally, I see absolutely nothing wrong with cutting off a finger or two if someone is caught stealing, second offence should be a hand. I'd be willing to bet there wouldn't be a third offence...

as long as you hang that little 'electric fence' sign on the wire somewhere I dont see how they could do anything

We had about a cord of wood stolen we were just about done cutting and
we went to get some lunch gone for maybe 25 minutes came back and everything but the saw dust was gone .Now this was in a subdivision the
people who gave us the wood were not home and nobody noticed people
loading wood .Well from then on we cut and load and if we leave all the
small wood is with us.our wood pile is hid behind the house pretty good

And the 2 people that live next to me are the ones who cut .and one has a
wife thats home almost all the time and she carries a 22 .

Last edited:
Man, I am so spitting mad! I made a delivery last night, and when I came home I was dog tired.Pulled the truck up alongside my wood stacks behind the shop and went to the house. I had two ricks of all hickory that i was saving for a regular customer, and just went out to load em up to deliver this afternoon. you guessed it, they were gone!
Who ever took them had to have taken them while I was gone yesterday to make a delivery. I was gone a little less than an hour, and didnt even notice them gone when I came home.
tire tracks tell the story, even though I pulled over the tracks on the way in with the truck and trailer, I found several tracks not left by my rig. There's 150 bucks worth of wood that I will never see again.
The sad part of it is, I am pretty sure it was my neighbor who had to have taken them. He lives on the hill overlooking my place, and he was out in the yard when I was loading yesterday, and the only neighbor who would have known that I was gone.
Kind of a lazy sucker, he waited until late october before starting to get his wood in and he hasnt been burning the past couple of weeks. Now this morning I see smoke coming out of his stack. If I was doggone sure, I would go up to his place and compare the tracks to the tires on his truck.
Man I hate thieves!

I would check out the neighbor for sure. With that short of time it had to be an "inside" job. Take him over some junk wood to gain entrance and start surveying the place before that nice wood is up the smokestack.

Brian

Man, I am so spitting mad! I made a delivery last night, and when I came home I was dog tired.Pulled the truck up alongside my wood stacks behind the shop and went to the house. I had two ricks of all hickory that i was saving for a regular customer, and just went out to load em up to deliver this afternoon. you guessed it, they were gone!
Who ever took them had to have taken them while I was gone yesterday to make a delivery. I was gone a little less than an hour, and didnt even notice them gone when I came home.
tire tracks tell the story, even though I pulled over the tracks on the way in with the truck and trailer, I found several tracks not left by my rig. There's 150 bucks worth of wood that I will never see again.
The sad part of it is, I am pretty sure it was my neighbor who had to have taken them. He lives on the hill overlooking my place, and he was out in the yard when I was loading yesterday, and the only neighbor who would have known that I was gone.
Kind of a lazy sucker, he waited until late october before starting to get his wood in and he hasnt been burning the past couple of weeks. Now this morning I see smoke coming out of his stack. If I was doggone sure, I would go up to his place and compare the tracks to the tires on his truck.
Man I hate thieves!

Maybe you need to paint the ends of the wood so it is easier to identify. Nothing special, just a can of spraypaint that would serve as a means to make your wood "different". Match the tire treads to his truck, narrow time frame= circumstantial evidence. Should be enough for a warrant to search the premise. With your wood identified, you would have no problem making a case.

Or you could use UV marking fluid like what you put in antifreeze to show leaks. The neighbor wouldn't even see it to know to hide it.

Bummer on the theft!

Sounds like you need a 'game-cam'... Set it up in a "bird house" so it's not visible to the thieves.

I've had wood taken twice this year... Once while I was at work, by my neighbor. My wife heard a saw running on the upper property and drove up there. He was cutting log lengths to load as fast as he could. The guy tried to tell my wife it was 'county right-of-way', and he could cut the trees. As she pulled away, she looked in her mirror--he quickly threw the last log length in the truck, and got out'a there.

I probably should have pressed charges--but what a PITA it would be. Cops, paperwork, lawyers... He knows he got busted, and I won't have any more problems... If I do, he'll get both barrels (figuratively).

Last edited:
Maybe you need to paint the ends of the wood so it is easier to identify. Nothing special, just a can of spraypaint that would serve as a means to make your wood "different". Match the tire treads to his truck, narrow time frame= circumstantial evidence. Should be enough for a warrant to search the premise. With your wood identified, you would have no problem making a case.

Or you could use UV marking fluid like what you put in antifreeze to show leaks. The neighbor wouldn't even see it to know to hide it.

Bummer on the theft!

I wouldnt even have to go that far to mark my wood, the neighbor splits his by hand with a maul, all my wood has the foot stamps in from my splitter. I cut notches in my foot to make "teeth", making a very distinct markings in it.
I hate to go plowing up there and sling accusations, but I find it hard to believe that he suddenly got some wood somewhere else right about the time mine went missing.
Just got back from Lowes with some posts and a big chain. I already have an alarm that sounds in the house, its one of those cheap light beam alarms from NT, but it doesnt do a lot of good if someone isnt home to hear the alarm.

How about a ruse?.. Make it look like you're loading up for a delivery, and drive away. Park 1/4 mile away, and have a friend watch the truck... Sneak back to your place to observe. Seems like the thief is waiting for you to pick through your pile first, thinking you won't see the missing wood.

How about a ruse?.. Make it look like you're loading up for a delivery, and drive away. Park 1/4 mile away, and have a friend watch the truck... Sneak back to your place to observe. Seems like the thief is waiting for you to pick through your pile first, thinking you won't see the missing wood.

Believe it or not, my wife and discussed that very same thing last night. As soon as she leaves work she calls me on the cell phone(yes, she has a headset!) and we chat as she drives home. We figured to repeat the same thing that happened last night, I will make a delivery and leave about 15 minutes before she arrives home. She is going to leave a little earlier today just in case the neighbor is aware of what time she gets home, although it varies a lot.
I told her not to confront anyone, if its the neighbors truck behind the shop just snap a picture with her cell phone and call the cops.
Guess we will see what happens.

Thief

I think you should make a report. Might not be your neighbor. Cops may have other reports of missing wood and can your information to help their case.

Latest posts

Back