Firewood thieves...gonna be a bad year

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a "Moose" to help watch our stuff (wood/tools/property). Only a 75lb Chesapeake Bay Retriever, but as one of the member's profile indicates, "size of the fight in the dog, not the size of the dog in the fight". Of course, a bad guy could always distract him away from the wood pile by getting too close to my wife......hehehehe

I think you should make a report. Might not be your neighbor. Cops may have other reports of missing wood and can your information to help their case.

Wouldnt do any good with our local cops. A few months ago I heard some noise up on top of the valley. Some folks from Florida have a cabin up there and they have had some break ins.I went outside, and saw some lights flickering up on the hill by the cabin. Called the cops and waited. Finally a half hour later they showed up and I explained. From my house they watched for a bit and said, "Well, looks like they are gone now." and started to leave.I asked them if they were going to go on up there and they said whats the point, they are gone now.
After they left I ran up the hill on my quad, and sure enough a window was busted out. Called the cops back, and when they showed up they cussed me out, said I could have gotten killed by the intruder. I pointed to my 9mm stuck in the handlebars, and they freaked slap out.The cops told me the next time the cops showed up and I was armed I should emediatly toss my gun on the ground and lay down, I could have gotten shot by THEM.
Last time that I have ever bothered calling the local cops. They didnt even check the house even after they noted the broken window. For all we know the crooks could have been holed up there having a good laugh.

I use a "Moose" to help watch our stuff (wood/tools/property). Only a 75lb Chesapeake Bay Retriever, but as one of the member's profile indicates, "size of the fight in the dog, not the size of the dog in the fight". Of course, a bad guy could always distract him away from the wood pile by getting too close to my wife......hehehehe

Looks like Moose and my boy Tanner could be brothers. Tanner's about 85 lbs Yellow Lab. Great dogs!

Good luck avalancher...nothing worse than a thief!

Wouldnt do any good with our local cops. A few months ago I heard some noise up on top of the valley. Some folks from Florida have a cabin up there and they have had some break ins.I went outside, and saw some lights flickering up on the hill by the cabin. Called the cops and waited. Finally a half hour later they showed up and I explained. From my house they watched for a bit and said, "Well, looks like they are gone now." and started to leave.I asked them if they were going to go on up there and they said whats the point, they are gone now.
After they left I ran up the hill on my quad, and sure enough a window was busted out. Called the cops back, and when they showed up they cussed me out, said I could have gotten killed by the intruder. I pointed to my 9mm stuck in the handlebars, and they freaked slap out.The cops told me the next time the cops showed up and I was armed I should emediatly toss my gun on the ground and lay down, I could have gotten shot by THEM.
Last time that I have ever bothered calling the local cops. They didnt even check the house even after they noted the broken window. For all we know the crooks could have been holed up there having a good laugh.

I would make it my mission in life to see that they were fired.

I would make it my mission in life to see that they were fired.
Fired?Not likely. Our sherrif(or at least the one that we had)is in the state prison for running a chop shop, extortion, money laundering, and prostitution.
The one that replaced him isnt any better. Got busted a few months ago for DWI,and is still in office.
Google Newort TN, they call this "Little Chicago" for a reason.
But, on the plus note, if you love to speed, this is the place. I have driven 50mph right through town, passed a cop, and didnt even worry about it. I have never seen any of our local cops have anyone pulled over for a traffic stop.

Fired?Not likely. Our sherrif(or at least the one that we had)is in the state prison for running a chop shop, extortion, money laundering, and prostitution.
The one that replaced him isnt any better. Got busted a few months ago for DWI,and is still in office.
But, on the plus note, if you love to speed, this is the place. I have driven 50mph right through town, passed a cop, and didnt even worry about it. I have never seen any of our local cops have anyone pulled over for a traffic stop.

:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

:dizzy: :dizzy:
In Ohio the sherrif is elected is it the same in TN?

I haven't had any trouble with thieves yet but down at the local wood dump site every last stick that hits the ground is snatched up before the dust blows off of it :censored: . This time last year there was a pile almost as big as a two story house with pine and mixed hard woods and now I am lucky to find a single log.

Man, I am so spitting mad! I made a delivery last night, and when I came home I was dog tired.Pulled the truck up alongside my wood stacks behind the shop and went to the house. I had two ricks of all hickory that i was saving for a regular customer, and just went out to load em up to deliver this afternoon. you guessed it, they were gone!
Who ever took them had to have taken them while I was gone yesterday to make a delivery. I was gone a little less than an hour, and didnt even notice them gone when I came home.
tire tracks tell the story, even though I pulled over the tracks on the way in with the truck and trailer, I found several tracks not left by my rig. There's 150 bucks worth of wood that I will never see again.
The sad part of it is, I am pretty sure it was my neighbor who had to have taken them. He lives on the hill overlooking my place, and he was out in the yard when I was loading yesterday, and the only neighbor who would have known that I was gone.
Kind of a lazy sucker, he waited until late october before starting to get his wood in and he hasnt been burning the past couple of weeks. Now this morning I see smoke coming out of his stack. If I was doggone sure, I would go up to his place and compare the tracks to the tires on his truck.
Man I hate thieves!

A well placed 2x4 with some 16 penny nails drove thru would probably make a thief's day. :cry: just don't forget to move it when you get back:dizzy:

I'm lucky that I have good neighbors at least the ones that live right around me. If I had something stolen I wouldn't suspect any of them.

My dad's shop forklift the gas was missing few times. So we shut the gas valve off unhooked gas line. Filled tank with water and gallon of gas.Next day one of neighbors car would not start. He must worked on it all day.So now we make room to put it inside the shop.

My dad's shop forklift the gas was missing few times. So we shut the gas valve off unhooked gas line. Filled tank with water and gallon of gas.Next day one of neighbors car would not start. He must worked on it all day.So now we make room to put it inside the shop.

ROFLMFAO:laugh: :laugh:

:hmm3grin2orange:

Works for me! :cheers:

pity ya didn't have anything in there to seize the engine.........

Avalancher, I doubt he will be back before he is out of wood. This should give you time to set things up.

You could say you seen the neighbors truck leaving your place as you came down the road. Probable cause to take impressions of the tracks to match to his tires. If your splitter makes a distinctive mark on the ends you will have him dead to rights if your wood turns up in his wood piles.

Sorry to hear the locals serve no real purpose.

avalancher... do you have a welder? if so... why not weld your initials backwards on the splitter toe... then every log will have your initials stamped into it. .. pretty hard to cover that up... and maybe hit the ends with some cheap marking paint... but we all know what we wish we could use... either a pit that when he backs in beside the pile the vehicle falls in...to its frame or a mine and tripwire.... serve the thieving ba$tard right. but then if we were arrested for what we thought then we all would have been locked up...LOL

avalancher... do you have a welder? if so... why not weld your initials backwards on the splitter toe... then every log will have your initials stamped into it. .. pretty hard to cover that up... and maybe hit the ends with some cheap marking paint... but we all know what we wish we could use... either a pit that when he backs in beside the pile the vehicle falls in...to its frame or a mine and tripwire.... serve the thieving ba$tard right. but then if we were arrested for what we thought then we all would have been locked up...LOL

Who is thinking!

Now that is a cool Idea!

Yeah, got a welder, and that is a good idea. There is plenty of room between the teeth on my splitter toe for some initials, and I may have a go at it.
I have started building my second splitter, gathering the parts right now after a good engine came my way, and I will definetly add that to the project.
Good thinking!

Latest posts

Back