Firewood too long...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'custom cut' firewood is hilarious

do these people custom cut wood to every inch increment from 12 to 20 ahead of time?

how do you have custom cut AND seasoned wood.. ?
you see it all the time
"will cut to your specified length" .. in an ad for seasoned wood.
funny stuff

I cut firewood at the usual 16" size... I have a line scribed on all of my saws, helps greatly. Keeps pieces within 1-2"'s of the 16". I've never had any complaints. If someone were to say that they are "too short", i'd mention to just "throw in"a few more pieces :msp_rolleyes: NOW, I have come across customers (normally females) who were sold some really nice, seasoned 24-26" pieces... that they couldn't even burn. Buyer beware in this business.... gotta' watch what the bootleggers bring ya!! :msp_tongue:

'custom cut' firewood is hilarious

do these people custom cut wood to every inch increment from 12 to 20 ahead of time?

how do you have custom cut AND seasoned wood.. ?
you see it all the time
"will cut to your specified length" .. in an ad for seasoned wood.
funny stuff

Then laugh your arse off at this. I cut standing dead western larch(tamarack) dry as a popcorn fart, mc less than 20%. I haul logs to my house in 65" lengths, make 3 cuts and have 4 pieces of 16",+/-.5", dry, "seasoned" firewood. I typically had 2 cords of these logs at my house throughout the summer and COULD have cut to a customers specs. After my experience with dudeman and his sneaky try at a discount I will not offer any thing other than 16" firewood.

View attachment 211736

Doesn't get more dry or seasoned than that.

Then laugh your arse off at this. I cut standing dead western larch(tamarack) dry as a popcorn fart, mc less than 20%. I haul logs to my house in 65" lengths, make 3 cuts and have 4 pieces of 16",+/-.5", dry, "seasoned" firewood. I typically had 2 cords of these logs at my house throughout the summer and COULD have cut to a customers specs. After my experience with dudeman and his sneaky try at a discount I will not offer any thing other than 16" firewood.

View attachment 211736

Doesn't get more dry or seasoned than that.

What you aren't taking into consideration is where you and the poster you are addressing live. In the east we get a lot more rain and the humidity is usually high. Its very tough to cut/split logs on demand and expect them to be truly seasoned no matter how long they have been laying around. I found this out the hard way last winter when I went to cut/split and sell some 30"+ diameter white and red oak logs that had been down and off the ground for 20 months. Stuff was wet as can be inside.
Also, standing dead stuff around here isn't a whole let drier than the stuff that is still alive. I realize this varies with species too.

Seriously? SIX FRIGGIN' PAGES!
Have you called the guy yet?

Cutting firewood to the same length isn't difficult or time consuming. It doesn't require tape measures, markers, gauges, strings, sticks, or any such. Simply use the bar attached to the saw (or the bar and saw if using a short bar), place some marks on it using automotive touch-up paint if you have to. Giving the saw a quarter-turn, and making a visual reference (such as a break in the bark, a bit of moss, even a stray saw chip) as you position yourself for the next cut adds zero time to the job.

191691d1311431270-pile4a-jpg

Last edited:
What you aren't taking into consideration is where you and the poster you are addressing live. In the east we get a lot more rain and the humidity is usually high. Its very tough to cut/split logs on demand and expect them to be truly seasoned no matter how long they have been laying around. I found this out the hard way last winter when I went to cut/split and sell some 30"+ diameter white and red oak logs that had been down and off the ground for 20 months. Stuff was wet as can be inside.
Also, standing dead stuff around here isn't a whole let drier than the stuff that is still alive. I realize this varies with species too.

You are correct, geographic location plays a huge role in seasoning of firewood. I wasn't certain what part of Waynes World Banshee resided in.

White spider,
You sir, understand the premise and obviously practice the same method as I. These guys are making it sound like friggin rocket science to cut firewood at a precise length. There is no need to waste time and effort measuring and marking as you pointed out, AGAIN.
Very nice looking rows you have there for sure. I do pretty much the same but I am space restricted so my rows are closer together. More like 3" apart, but I am cutting dead, dry, seasoned firewood.

at the risk of needlessly extending a thread..

banshee,I do have a considerable percentage of the wood I burn custom cut. I hire someone to come to my ranch and cut,split and stack firewood. when seasoned,I haulit to my house on a trailer ,cover the trailer with a tarp and burn it.(the firewood not the trailer) . I tell whoever I hire ,how I want the wood cut.I would call that custom cutting.

I would think the OP has called his supplier by now, and will probably specify how long it should be from here on out

Just to throw another stick on the fire...

Custom cut _and_ seasoned? Of course, just like I mentioned way early in the thread.

"If you want a custom lentght, order it in advance and be prepared to pay extra'. "in advance" meaning time enough for the producer to cut and season it, e.g. early in the spring for delivery in the fall at least.

Harry K

Just to throw another stick on the fire...

Custom cut _and_ seasoned? Of course, just like I mentioned way early in the thread.

"If you want a custom lentght, order it in advance and be prepared to pay extra'. "in advance" meaning time enough for the producer to cut and season it, e.g. early in the spring for delivery in the fall at least.

Harry K

I understand the pay in advance, but why extra?Longer pieces is less work.I try to tell people all the time the best time to get there wood is inthe spring.Then they know it will be seasoned.I still have about a cord left from year before last, though.I try to stay well ahead.When I sell seasoned wood, it is seasoned.

Cutting firewood to the same length isn't difficult or time consuming. It doesn't require tape measures, markers, gauges, strings, sticks, or any such. Simply use the bar attached to the saw (or the bar and saw if using a short bar), place some marks on it using automotive touch-up paint if you have to. Giving the saw a quarter-turn, and making a visual reference (such as a break in the bark, a bit of moss, even a stray saw chip) as you position yourself for the next cut adds zero time to the job.

I'm on the same page with you again WS. I typically cut all my splits to 20". I Have a side loading Jotul Oslo and 20's are perfect. I can take a 22 but it starts to get a bit tight. Anyway, using my 034 with the 20" bar it's simple to lay the bar on the round....pic a landmark....raise the bar and cut away. I would guess the tolerance on the rounds is +- 1.00". Been doing it like this for years.

I will say that I did one time take some yellow spray marking paint with a 25 ft tape and hash off 20's on a 35 foot log. I just stepped up with the saw a didn't stop till the beast was all bucked up. Those rounds were within a 1/2 in of nominal.

Yup, pretty stacks of wood. Picture perfect, almost looks shopped.
That's how I cut my wood, with the bar only for 16", bar and mounting pad for 18" and somewhere near the R on the clutch cover for 20". All just eyeballed and it's pretty dern close :smile2:

I understand the pay in advance, but why extra?Longer pieces is less work.I try to tell people all the time the best time to get there wood is inthe spring.Then they know it will be seasoned.I still have about a cord left from year before last, though.I try to stay well ahead.When I sell seasoned wood, it is seasoned.

Extra because it requires a change in sellers standard operation, has to have an an extra stack of odd size taking up space in his yard while seasoning...

Harry K

This is impressive. You've almost turned it into an art!

For those of us cutting wood for profit, we don't have time to turn the saw a quarter turn. I've got to keep the blocks coming! The footwork required would also be pretty awkward.

I am very good at eyeballing though.

Now that's a great idea. How stupid do I feel after cutting wood for over 40 years not to have thought of that. Thanks,
going to go outside when it gets light and mark my saws.

For those of us cutting wood for profit, we don't have time to turn the saw a quarter turn. I've got to keep the blocks coming! The footwork required would also be pretty awkward.

What? What "time"? What awkward "footwork"?
I turn the saw as I position myself for the next cut... and giving the saw a little 1/4 spin and eyeballing my spot takes less time than the side-step for the next cut... I actually do it as I raise the saw for the next cut. After a bit of practice it becomes automatic... I don't even think about it anymore.

Extra because it requires a change in sellers standard operation, has to have an an extra stack of odd size taking up space in his yard while seasoning...

Harry K

Really Harry?The only change would be less work for longer wood.Less cuts,fewer blocks to split etc.And as far as space, we're talking maybe a 4'x8' footprint.I mean if you took a deposit or was even pre-paid, maybe you could even work it out where they picked it up or you delivered it as soon as it was split.
The only wood I charge extra for is the smaller stuff, the 14" stovewood.I sell 2/3 a cord per season.Pretty much guaranteed, and if I don't sell it I can burn it myself.
I'm a small operation,Harry, with lots of local competition.I have to keep the customers I have and be willing to accomodate as much as possible.It really is no big deal.I consider it good business.
Remember when all you could get from Ford was a black car?Well, what if it was still that way?Whomever is willing to give the customers what he wants, within reason of course, is the one who will keep his customers and maybe even get some more.
Oh and Harry,I hope you have a very merry Christmas and a wonderful new year!

Last edited:
This is impressive. You've almost turned it into an art!

I am very good at eyeballing though.
Actually using the saw is the most efficient way I've found and when you're trying to cut long as possible and still fit in the splitter eyeballin will cost you extra work. What works for one person may be not for the next.

In keeping with Colin's line of thinking, has there been any updates on what is happening with the wood? Any chance the discussion will make the national headlines or do you think it will stay here in the front lines on arboristsite.com? We need an update on the length of your wood!!!!

In keeping with Colin's line of thinking, has there been any updates on what is happening with the wood? Any chance the discussion will make the national headlines or do you think it will stay here in the front lines on arboristsite.com? We need an update on the length of your wood!!!!

ae1f0d88db4a4b69ab6227f7ae157341.0.jpg

Back