firewood tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 348197

I dont have a tractor, but I do have a little man to help. Here he is back in January, after we just bucked and split a weeks worth. I believe you gotta teach em young- he's 3.

Hope to have a tractor some day though.
i am pretty sure he will remember that an cherish it all his life. good looking young man. you will remember it also they grow up so fast.

Don't log without one--love my Bob Cat front loader--worth every dime--pays for itself. The bigger the better--the small 'compact' tractors made by Kubota and John Deere might have the HP but are just too light and flimsy.

Glad I bought a bigger one--wish I had a backhoe!
I log with two of those "light & flimsy" Kubotas. Love em! Can't kill em! Glad I bought em!

I really like my Bobcat(kioti) so far but I would never venture to say that Kubota or Deere are flimsy. Having pulled a great deal of wood with my l2850 I would be willing to put that tractor up against any 35hp tractor in the woods. The creature comforts of the Bobcat and extra weight is nice when doing construction/excavation orientated tasks. I actually just pulled 2 Ironwood stumps this evening with the backhoe, what a pain in the arse.

Put some counter weight on the 3 pt hitch. Lifting the rears off the ground using the FEL is not good. Also too much weight on the front axle when no weight is on the 3 pt.
Didn't say I run it with that much weight, just that it will pick its own arse end up. I put the mower deck on when needed for counter balance.

This one is the firewood hauler, bale carrier, and push stuff around one. Load the bucket and lift it over the deck and put it in the racks on the porch. As I told someone in another thread, I never realized I couldn't live without one until I got one. Sorry no actual pics of it doing woodsy things, this was the only pic of it I could find at all.
IMG_2456.JPG

This one isn't for firewood, but it didn't want to be left out...

P0002485.JPG

I grew up on a Farmall Cub. Looks like a nice restoration there.
And an old tricycle Deere, (a 'B' maybe?). Open the petcocks and give the flywheel a good yank. That's a sound I'll never forget! Steering with the brakes while plowing was also an experience.
Love the kid-pics, but keep the little ones away from the moving/operating stuff. A local guy here just lost his 2 year old this past week to a backhoe during a simple joy-ride with the little one on his lap. Sad as hell, and something he'll have to live with.
Be safe everyone.

Yeah, the kids are always telling me I baby them, but I don't let them near me when I'm doing stuff. "Dad, you never let us have any fun" is a pretty common tune around here. Those pics are a bit dated. The "old man" on the cub is from 2007 and is now 9 yrs old, and I think the deere pic was from 2010.

By the way, the 1050 must have gotten offended that I dared put cub pic in, because I just broke the steering bracket while carrying a round bale, so it's grounded. Was braggin' on it and it decided to make a fool of me.

So, waaaah!, I really wish I knew how to weld for the umpteenth time.

By the way, the 1050 must have gotten offended that I dared put cub pic in, because I just broke the steering bracket while carrying a round bale, so it's grounded. Was braggin' on it and it decided to make a fool of me.

So, waaaah!, I really wish I knew how to weld for the umpteenth time.
More counter weight on the 3 pt, takes weight off the front end, helps keep axle & steering components from breaking. Also make tractor handle and steer better when a load in on the loader. Talking about more than the weight of the mower you have one there, 1000 lbs or more.

Thanks. I have an actual counterweight (aka big barrel of concrete) but it is sitting at FIL house so was making do. The 5x4 bales are around 770 lbs. I use the 3pt in winter to move the 1200lb haylage bales. Truth is I abuse the crap out of it moving around bigger bales than the fel should do for many years and it just keeps on taking it. It deserves to break ever now and then I guess. Even at that, the only repairs I've had to do are a tie rod after a bout with a manure pile, a starter, and a couple of hydraulic hoses for fel. I think I'd like something just a little bigger maybe in the 50-65hp range but this one has been fine for the most part for what I need it for. Only real regret are those honking big turf tires. Makes it wider than my attachments like snow thrower, disk, and tiller, and too wide to fit in dump trailer so have to borrow big flatbed to haul it (which is why counterweight is at FIL). But it doesn't tear up the yard when mowing or when I'm hauling firewood in the bucket so everything's a tradeoff.

Thanks. I have an actual counterweight (aka big barrel of concrete) but it is sitting at FIL house so was making do. The 5x4 bales are around 770 lbs. I use the 3pt in winter to move the 1200lb haylage bales. Truth is I abuse the crap out of it moving around bigger bales than the fel should do for many years and it just keeps on taking it. It deserves to break ever now and then I guess. Even at that, the only repairs I've had to do are a tie rod after a bout with a manure pile, a starter, and a couple of hydraulic hoses for fel. I think I'd like something just a little bigger maybe in the 50-65hp range but this one has been fine for the most part for what I need it for. Only real regret are those honking big turf tires. Makes it wider than my attachments like snow thrower, disk, and tiller, and too wide to fit in dump trailer so have to borrow big flatbed to haul it (which is why counterweight is at FIL). But it doesn't tear up the yard when mowing or when I'm hauling firewood in the bucket so everything's a tradeoff.
We abused the crap out of our 25 year old Kubota, until I had to rebuild the front end and it's 4wd. Never used counter weight until then. Good size counter weight always is on the newer one, but my brother is bad about using the older one without.

My bil the contractor after hooking me up with the welder to get it stuck back together just suggested maybe a skid loader to handle the bales. I'm skeptical, and never thought about it before but there is a contractor auction next weekend so maybe I'll check it out. Of course, he might just be planting a seed in my ear so he can get easy access to a loader. Sly dog.

Been using this for 25 yrs in the woods. Best $2,500 I ever spent. Its going on the hill tomorrow with the 3 pt splitter.

Tim

Back