firewood tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it gas or diesel? Does it have a TA? Does the TA still work properly?? What kind of drawbar does it have? 3 point?

A thousand dollars isn't much for a good running 460 that starts/runs good and isn't a heavy leaker...

SR

Is it gas or diesel? Does it have a TA? Does the TA still work properly?? What kind of drawbar does it have? 3 point?

A thousand dollars isn't much for a good running 460 that starts/runs good and isn't a heavy leaker...

SR
especially if its a 460 industrial with a loader and backhoe

Well now talking to a friend about firewood tractors. He has a international 460 utility loader backhoe tractor he is willing to sell me for $1000. I told him I want in a position currently to purchase his tractor ( no place to store it until I start building my house). but I would really consider it. Any advice on these machines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would be jumping all over this. I need an extra hand with firewood duties I would be adding a thumb to that backhoe

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

He is my current firewood cuttin buddy and we have other tractors to use. I know this thing isn’t going anywhere.

Well now talking to a friend about firewood tractors. He has a international 460 utility loader backhoe tractor he is willing to sell me for $1000. I told him I want in a position currently to purchase his tractor ( no place to store it until I start building my house). but I would really consider it. Any advice on these machines.

$1,000 for a running tractor is a steal. You could get a bunch of work done with a machine like that.

SR
I believe it’s diesel. No Ta. It’s got the 5 speed with reversed transmission. And as far as drawbar and 3 point goes. I didn’t look that closely but it has a backhoe mounted on. I know it has a steering issue from when it was in the shop last. The dealer rebuilt the power steering, but put it back together and miss aligned the steering gears somehow. So it turns really far right but not so far left.

especially if its a 460 industrial with a loader and backhoe

It is a true yellow international 460 with a Wagner front loader and not so sure on the model of the backhoe, but it is bolted on. Not just a 3 point hoe.

Remember this load of ash?

standard.jpg

We have had a lot of rain lately so I'm just getting back to the job of splitting it! My helper came over today, so we split it between clouds of "snain" going over and dumping on us...

standard.jpg

On the bigger ones, it's push it through the 4-way and then flip the top piece over, back onto the beam for another go through the 4-way,

standard.jpg

and S :) :) N we had the whole load split,

standard.jpg

That's a pretty nice pile of splits there, it will be for 2018/19 season...

I didn't keep track of how long it took, because of the rain "delays", and a few other jobs we mixed in during the delays, but when we were working, we really put the wood through the splitter!

SR

Not in the same league as most here, but here are the latest three improvements to my little firewood tractor - a protective screen made from galvanized industrial shelving and a two speed hydraulic winch on my Swiss army knife attachment and a hook to grab the top link of my splitter so I don't have to remove the attachment.

IMG_2583.JPG

A little paint this season and the first little load this am.
IMG_2623.JPG

Holding a log in place this afternoon for fellow ASer Brian Thacker (at the saw).
IMG_2642-001.JPG IMG_2644.JPG

Ron

Mile Marker 10,500# and Humvee mount. I have to be careful as my pump is 2500 psi and winch motor is 1500 psi. The motor can handle the flow which is about double a Humvee at 8.5 gpm.

Ron

This mornings work. Had the top blow out of a tree last winter and wanted to get it out of the woods before the rain returns and the ground gets soft. It's raining pretty good now, nothing like waiting till the last minute! ;)

Anyway here is the tree in question. It is still standing for now, I just hauled the top out of the woods so I could make firewood out of it!

by wood4heat on Arboristsite.com

Got the dog supervising:

Short logs coming out:

And the days haul. I can cut it into rounds right here and haul them up to the house to stack. The Kubota and Stihl make a solid team!

Can we get a close up on that 3 point hitch? That seems like a neat set-up. I usually chain a log to the the front bucket to get them out of the woods. Nice pics guys!!

My "firewood tractor" was doing double duty today! It was carrying logs to the BSM!

My helper was here today too, BUT today we was working for him, as they were "his" (hard) maple logs.

I only took picts of the first log, and here it is, already loaded on the mills bunks,

standard.jpg

It opened up nicely and we got the slabs off it, fairly quickly,

standard.jpg

Last time I used my mill, I had adjusted my set works for a spl cut, and of course I forgot to put them back SO, I had to "trim" a little off the last 5/4 board,

standard.jpg

Anyway, he got a nice pile of 12" wide boards off that one maple,

standard.jpg

AND to keep this firewood related, I ended up with some nice maple slab wood, that will make GREAT firewood!

standard.jpg

SR

I live about 40 miles north west of Unity. I have much more to do in the woodlot this winter, this Sugar bush thinning is almost done. I have made a lot of progress in there. I need to spend a couple more days in there cutting some Poplar and Hemlock.
Next I have an old apple tree that is on it's way out if I don't open up the south side of it some. The tree needs more sun badly I have harvested many Grouse there in my youth but now she is barely holding her own. I need to drop a couple Elms and a bunch of White Cedar. After that I have a Beach grove to begin thinning so I have plenty to do. My wooded property is in a Tree Growth plan and there are certain things I need to harvest and thin to comply with the plan.

Today was a beautiful day here to do a little work on the wood pile. Like my tractor, my new to me splitter is not in the same league as most here but it is plenty fast for a one old man operation. Run the tractor at 1600 to 1700 rpms. Quiet and vibration free. Put splitter on the ground to reduce 3'+ rounds to a manageable size. Then lift splitter to a comfortable standing height to finish the job.

IMG_2744.JPG

Found that the splitter makes a good saw buck for small stuff. Will hold a fair size log if balanced. It held the logs that made the little split pile. I doubt it will hold anything of real size by the end like shown here.
IMG_2735.JPG
IMG_2741.JPG

Used a little support to hold this loggette in place while I operated the splitter valve.
IMG_2737.JPG

Just 4 more left to split - from 30" to 42"+.
IMG_2742.JPG

Ron

Latest posts

Back