firewood tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember this load of ash?

standard.jpg

We have had a lot of rain lately so I'm just getting back to the job of splitting it! My helper came over today, so we split it between clouds of "snain" going over and dumping on us...

standard.jpg

On the bigger ones, it's push it through the 4-way and then flip the top piece over, back onto the beam for another go through the 4-way,

standard.jpg

and S :) :) N we had the whole load split,

standard.jpg

That's a pretty nice pile of splits there, it will be for 2018/19 season...

I didn't keep track of how long it took, because of the rain "delays", and a few other jobs we mixed in during the delays, but when we were working, we really put the wood through the splitter!

SR
What’s the length of piece you can split?

I think 25" is the max this model will split, they do make the same model with a longer beam too...

SR

Not sure if I posted here or not. I had a John Deere 3032e (well I still have it but it’s for sale),
1546A88A-D19D-4B8E-BE5F-CF2BF4118B07.jpeg

Great little basic machine. I found quickly it would do everything I needed but it had a few things I was not a fan of. The combo brake/ diff lock pedal is a pain when you hit the brakes loading a trailer, then turn and try to drive off and tear up the turf only to realize the diff is locked. The lift capacity and height is ok but in reality it can become pretty anemic pretty quick.
So I have been looking for a long while for a large frame 4000 series with a 460 loader. I almost drove 5-7 hrs one way to get one. Well about 2 weeks ago a 4510 with 460 loader, 6’ Cutter, 6’ rake popped up on Craigslist local and within 2 hours I had been to the bank and was there. I hit a lucky homerun here Gents! Original owner and only 178 hours.
E5915082-539B-4E56-94E1-7435FE09402D.jpeg

I did have to replace the hood, side panels, fix a fuel leak and give her a full service but my goodness this tractor was a steal and will do far more than I need. She’s a little hard on the turf, got a buddy with a set of R4’s I’m going to switch out (love the ag/r1 tires for traction but goodness they are aggressive).

So the next issue is my trailer is too small for my new machine and cutter. It’s funny how a series up but the largest of the next series is so much bigger. Meaning I have a buddy selling a 4310 and I have used it and while heavier and a little more tractor than my 3032 it’s about the same size. My 4510 is much larger than both of them, to the point I need a new trailer. I have a 16’ low pro 14k capacity trailer with easy detach ramps for larger stuff. Well my new machine, loader and cutter comes in at about 22’.
So I went round and round and almost purchased a 20+5 gooseneck deckover, but even the expensive lower deck recessed wheel units were 32-33” high with a steep load angle. I looked for awhile and decided to go with another low pro for loading ease.
I ordered a Lamar yesterday due to the fact they are at a fair pice but have a lot of things standard others charge as options. So I ordered a 22’, 14k capacity, full width foldable ramps, 3’ Self cleaning dove, sealed modular wiring harness with lifetime leds, 2 speed hd drop jack vs your marine style junk, powder coated.

It’s similar to this one pictured

0434A317-3B7C-4705-A112-7AB34BE18A55.jpeg

768409F5-C60B-4753-B5FC-FCBA8D6DAD61.jpeg

5B48D8A6-9DA0-4BE3-995B-9956CEBA2DFE.jpeg

9D173A83-2CEE-4AEB-811B-710973B8E5AD.jpeg

Not sure if I posted here or not. I had a John Deere 3032e (well I still have it but it’s for sale),
View attachment 618324

Great little basic machine. I found quickly it would do everything I needed but it had a few things I was not a fan of. The combo brake/ diff lock pedal is a pain when you hit the brakes loading a trailer, then turn and try to drive off and tear up the turf only to realize the diff is locked. The lift capacity and height is ok but in reality it can become pretty anemic pretty quick.
So I have been looking for a long while for a large frame 4000 series with a 460 loader. I almost drove 5-7 hrs one way to get one. Well about 2 weeks ago a 4510 with 460 loader, 6’ Cutter, 6’ rake popped up on Craigslist local and within 2 hours I had been to the bank and was there. I hit a lucky homerun here Gents! Original owner and only 178 hours.
View attachment 618327

I did have to replace the hood, side panels, fix a fuel leak and give her a full service but my goodness this tractor was a steal and will do far more than I need. She’s a little hard on the turf, got a buddy with a set of R4’s I’m going to switch out (love the ag/r1 tires for traction but goodness they are aggressive).
keep the r-1's. if your on the lawn just do 2 wheel drive. you ever get in the woods with mud/snow you'll love the r-1's.

keep the r-1's. if your on the lawn just do 2 wheel drive. you ever get in the woods with mud/snow you'll love the r-1's.

I run it in 2 wheel most of the time, with loaded rears and being abou 5k lbs I don’t need the 4x4 often except for the brakes. All the other machines I’ve had have R4 and they are far nicer to the ground. I can’t recall ever losing traction with any of them, but man the r1’s cut like a knife. Lol

2014 Massey 1736. Step up from my MF GC2300. Currently using 4' box blade for skidding but winch will be added in near future.

Attachments

• IMG_2710.JPG
    IMG_2710.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 49
I run it in 2 wheel most of the time, with loaded rears and being abou 5k lbs I don’t need the 4x4 often except for the brakes. All the other machines I’ve had have R4 and they are far nicer to the ground. I can’t recall ever losing traction with any of them, but man the r1’s cut like a knife. Lol

The R-4's are a much tougher tire. They wear better, are more puncture resistant, ride better, aren't as damaging on turf, have a more stabil feel as they are generally wider than R-1's for the same machine. The only real advantages to R-1's in my opinion is they do offer better traction in mud, and the narrower tire generally cuts through snow a bit better.

So the next issue is my trailer is too small for my new machine and cutter. It’s funny how a series up but the largest of the next series is so much bigger. Meaning I have a buddy selling a 4310 and I have used it and while heavier and a little more tractor than my 3032 it’s about the same size. My 4510 is much larger than both of them, to the point I need a new trailer. I have a 16’ low pro 14k capacity trailer with easy detach ramps for larger stuff. Well my new machine, loader and cutter comes in at about 22’.
So I went round and round and almost purchased a 20+5 gooseneck deckover, but even the expensive lower deck recessed wheel units were 32-33” high with a steep load angle. I looked for awhile and decided to go with another low pro for loading ease.
I ordered a Lamar yesterday due to the fact they are at a fair pice but have a lot of things standard others charge as options. So I ordered a 22’, 14k capacity, full width foldable ramps, 3’ Self cleaning dove, sealed modular wiring harness with lifetime leds, 2 speed hd drop jack vs your marine style junk, powder coated.

It’s similar to this one pictured

View attachment 618332

View attachment 618331

View attachment 618329

View attachment 618330

Really nice trailer. We have a 22' with a tilt deck. Dad can't pick up ramps even with spring assist. I still dislike having fenders in the way if I'm picking up surplus trailers and such, but I'm not to the point of getting a deck over just yet. What are you doing with the take-off tires?

Shea

Damn it Saxman,

That is one sweet setup! I'm looking to do something similar with a 6.5' x 12' or so running gear. I'm thinking six- 1/3rd cord boxes on the gear at a time. Either the whole gear will have a roof, or each box will.

1028161255.jpg Versatile 276 bidirectional tractor .The seat , steering and dashboard can be turned to drive forward or in reverse. Hydraulic 4 wheel drive , articulated so drive into the woods , hook up your logs , spin the seat around , drive out forward. no 3 pt turns in the woods. I built a rack for the front to carry saws etc. 100 hp cummins turbo , so plenty of power along with heat , air conditioning and stereo. Fully enclosed when snow blowing my 1800 ft driveway with the 8 1/2 ft wide Pronovost blower. 1102161206(1).jpg 0904161758.jpg

View attachment 618530 Versatile 276 bidirectional tractor .The seat , steering and dashboard can be turned to drive forward or in reverse. Hydraulic 4 wheel drive , articulated so drive into the woods , hook up your logs , spin the seat around , drive out forward. no 3 pt turns in the woods. I built a rack for the front to carry saws etc. 100 hp cummins turbo , so plenty of power along with heat , air conditioning and stereo. Fully enclosed when snow blowing my 1800 ft driveway with the 8 1/2 ft wide Pronovost blower. View attachment 618534 View attachment 618535

Very nice setup!! Those bi-directional tractors seem like they'd be perfect for blowing snow or loader work with the loader in the back. They seem to be available pretty cheap too. If I could justify a machine that size and knew someone familiar with them, I'd love to own one.

Excellent first post, by the way.

hey, a question ive always had with them bi-directional tractors. when spun around going backward, does the steering reverse so the tractor still turns left when you turn the wheel left or do you have to reverse it manually (or mentally remember to steer the other way)?

Latest posts

Back