firewood tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to be in the "save the hours" camp, but I can run my 2.9L tractor all day on a few gallons of diesel when a gas thumper is sucking down way more $$$ in gas to make less flow.

Not tying up the machine is the only reason I still have a gas splitter.

Some of you probably remember this firewood log I skidded out some time ago,

standard.jpg

and cut it up over my wagon, into firewood lengths,

standard.jpg

It made for some BIG blocks!

standard.jpg

Well, we finally got around to rip them with a chainsaw,

standard.jpg

into quarters and running them through the 4-way wedge,

standard.jpg

They made for a NICE pile of splits!!

standard.jpg

SR

The saw dust goes good in the garden to keep the weeds at bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The saw dust goes good in the garden to keep the weeds at bay.
True, but all the carbon does bind up the nitrogen in the soil, so you have to add some N along with the wood.

I mulch my gardens HEAVY with grass hay, so I really don't need to mulch with the saw dust...although some of it does make it's way into the gardens.

SR

Works out good to cut the wood in the wagon so you collect the saw dust to use for other things.

In reality you deplete Nitrogen with any type of mulch, different stuff depletes at different rates. That is one reason beans are planted after so many years of corn because beans fix nitrogen in the soil, and the money isn't bad either.

:D Al

Al, the carbon in the wood needs the N to "rot" but after, it RE-RELEASES it back into the soil, so it's not a total loss.

I use TP (turkey poop) in my gardens for my N source.

Corn after beans is mostly done, because corn is fed heavily and after harvested, there's still plenty of fert. left in the soil to grow beans as they aren't as heavy of a feeder...

Here's how I mulch my gardens, this is the back garden. All that sticks through the mulch is the veggie plants,

standard.jpg

DM

That 55/60 HP tractor I think is the perfect size unless your doing a thousand acres of corn and another thousand of beans every spring.

When it was almost new, I took it to my (at the time) CIH dealer and had them dino it. It sat on 70hp at full rpm for 15 mins., but being so new, he didn't want to run it WO under load any longer than that.

Then he backed the rpm off to pto speed, and It sat on 60 pto hp for one full hour... Not too shabby at all, they were impressed and told me so several times.

SR

I know a guy with a Ford 7000 that gets 90 HP out of it. He just turns the pump up for when he is chopping corn and needs to haul the loaded wagons thru thre mud.

Mines completely stock, although they did make the same engine turboed... A friend of mine has one...

Latest posts

Back