firewood tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Added this to my toy collection a few months ago.

2001 John Deere 4600 4x4. 2400# lift capacity, loaded rears with cast weights, and I still managed to get the rears off the ground with a 4x6 pallet of firewood.

IMAG1434_zpsf417be2a.jpg

Added this to my toy collection a few months ago.

2001 John Deere 4600 4x4. 2400# lift capacity, loaded rears with cast weights, and I still managed to get the rears off the ground with a 4x6 pallet of firewood.
You need counter weight on the 3 pt hitch. That size rig needs at least 1000 lbs...

I'm not sure I agree with that...1,000 pounds is a LOT of weight on the 3 point for a tractor that small. A 4600 is a "compact" 36hp tractor, it's really not all that big of a tractor.

At least, if it was mine, I wouldn't put 1,000 pounds on the 3 point for counter weight, just to try to lift more with the loader, as he already has weights and loaded tires.

SR

I'm not sure I agree with that...1,000 pounds is a LOT of weight on the 3 point for a tractor that small. A 4600 is a "compact" 36hp tractor, it's really not all that big of a tractor.

At least, if it was mine, I wouldn't put 1,000 pounds on the 3 point for counter weight, just to try to lift more with the loader, as he already has weights and loaded tires.

SR
Counter weight on the 3 pt takes weight off the front axle, this is very important when using a FEL. Loaded/weighted rear tires help keep the rear of the tractor on the ground, but do not take any weight off the front axle. 1000 lbs might be a bit much on this JD, But even something around 500 lbs would make a world of difference...

Loaded/weighted rear tires help keep the rear of the tractor on the ground, but do not take any weight off the front axle.
That statement just plain isn't true...think about it a second...

Yes, adding weight to the 3 point has a "leverage" affect, but you can over weight a tractor too, and with what he already has, and the fact it's a 35hp compact, 1,000 pounds more on the 3 point isn't something "I" would do...

SR

That statement just plain isn't true...think about it a second...

Yes, adding weight to the 3 point has a "leverage" affect, but you can over weight a tractor too, and with what he already has, and the fact it's a 35hp compact, 1,000 pounds more on the 3 point isn't something "I" would do...

SR
We will just disagree with each other then...

First off, it is 43hp.

Second, sunfish is right. Think of the rear axle as a fulcrum. Without 3pt ballast, there is no weight to counteract front axle load using the rear axle as the fulcrum. Add 3pt weight that is sprung behind the rear axle, that weight is out behind the fulcrum, which acts as a lever, unloading the front axle.

Rear wheel/tire ballast and 3pt ballast each serve their own purpose.

1k of weight on the 3pt isn't something I'd think twice about doing. Matter of fact, my 72" finish mower is right about 700# and I haven't removed it in about a month.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk

First off, it is 43hp.

Second, sunfish is right. Think of the rear axle as a fulcrum. Without 3pt ballast, there is no weight to counteract front axle load using the rear axle as the fulcrum. Add 3pt weight that is sprung behind the rear axle, that weight is out behind the fulcrum, which acts as a lever, unloading the front axle.

1k of weight on the 3pt isn't something I'd think twice about doing. Matter of fact, my 72" finish mower is right about 700# and I haven't removed it in about a month.

Thank you! Well said... I just didn't feel like writing a detailed explanation or arguing with Rob...:)

First off, it is 43hp.

Correct, when you load one end of the tractor enough to lift the wheels at the other end, ALL the weight of the tractor and load are on the one axle that has the wheels on the ground. The rear axle will carry a heavier load than the front and putting weight behind the rear axle takes weight off the front. My heavy tiller will take all the weight off my front axle, so I need front weights or leave the loader on.

Back