firewood tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That 268 looks like a monster in that pic!! :eek:
Great work!
We were about 3/4 done splitting the big ones, when a couple screws fell out of the recoil starter side of the saw, and do you think we could find them in all that sawdust??

SO, we finished up with my 562xp,

standard.jpg

I NEVER go to the woods with only one saw! lol

SR

I bought a metal decetor recently to mess with. Lost a grab hook off a chain back in the woods a couple years ago and serched for it some. found a screw the about the size of the recal screws in my Jred. A bit to big however, but did find it and it is a allen wwrench type.

So ask a friend whit a metal detector.

:D Al

Hi Al, I do have a metal detector, but the trailer bed is also metal and I'd rather go buy two screws than move all that sawdust and check it. lol I generally drive out to a town during the week anyway, so add getting those screws to the list...

I have some pine to skid out tomorrow, we'll see how that goes!

SR

Taking two to see how they turn out....been down for a while but nicely propped off the ground. There were carpenter ants closer to the crown but closer to the stump seems good.

Attachments

• 57DC1830-5876-421A-8140-C0F4EA29D511.jpeg
    57DC1830-5876-421A-8140-C0F4EA29D511.jpeg
    7.3 MB · Views: 26
We were about 3/4 done splitting the big ones, when a couple screws fell out of the recoil starter side of the saw, and do you think we could find them in all that sawdust??

SO, we finished up with my 562xp,

standard.jpg

I NEVER go to the woods with only one saw! lol

SR
Magnet?
That's a nice looking saw!

Did you have it on loan or trial or something? Did you try it out and then decide to trade it in? Just curious. I'm actively looking into selling mine and upgrading too. It won't happen for a while though.
No, I bought it and decided I would like a bit bigger tractor and figured I could make some $$$ so off she went to a new home!
I only bought it Thursday :)

So I went and looked at the Kubota 2850 today, aaannnnnd It followed me home :)
lKmp7FTl.jpg

It has a third valve with a hydraulic top link, I may use it for a while and see how it does with the turf tires. I have some chains and maybe some R4's will be in order.
It's a shuttle shift, high low range 4x4, loader, 4 speeds in each range. I'm gonna love the hydraulic top link. Now I have to cut the PTO shaft down and test the winch :) then get some firewood out.

Magnet?
That's a nice looking saw!
A magnet isn't a bad idea, and if I didn't have extra saws around here, I'd probably still be out there looking for those screws...
orig.gif

I'm liking the 562xp more and more as I use it... I also have it's cousin a Jonsered 2260, that EVERYONE who uses it loves it!

standard.jpg

SR

A magnet isn't a bad idea, and if I didn't have extra saws around here, I'd probably still be out there looking for those screws...
orig.gif

I'm liking the 562xp more and more as I use it... I also have it's cousin a Jonsered 2260, that EVERYONE who uses it loves it!

standard.jpg

SR
Your making me want to fix my 562 Rob :).
Looks good out there, great weather the last week with all the blue sky days.

Fix it and bring it over... I have a big oak out back that you can try it out on! lol

SR

Your making me want to fix my 562 Rob :).
Looks good out there, great weather the last week with all the blue sky days.
orig.gif

I've heard that the JRED brand is going away.True or false?
standard.jpg

SR

Mostly true... I think they will keep selling "some" models, but mostly it's going away...

It's nothing but a re-badged Husky anyway, so it's really not a big deal.

SR

I've heard that the JRED brand is going away.True or false?
Yes, but.
They are now distributed as redmax saws so they will still be available :happy:.
https://www.redmax.com/us/products/chainsaws/
There's a mail in rebate right now too :sweet:.
https://www.redmax.com/us/chainsaws-rebate/
Mostly true... I think they will keep selling "some" models, but mostly it's going away...

It's nothing but a re-badged Husky anyway, so it's really not a big deal.

SR
Same answer sort of, yes and no :D.
The jreds are basically the same but they have a handlebar that is straight crossed and a different angle on the handlebar.
Another difference many guys like is the angle the recoil handle comes out of the recoil housing.
You know I like saws in general, just hand me one with a sharp chain:chainsaw:.

I bought the two missing screws for the recoil starter on my 268xp and put them on, so it was ready for business today...

My helper came over today and we cut out another tornado damaged oak and I got started skidding it out,

standard.jpg

With all the limbs off it, I got both halves skid out,

standard.jpg

And, after cutting the halves into quarters, I lifted them over my wagon with my tractor and the 268 did it's magic, and S :) :) N we had a nice amount in the wagon,

standard.jpg

Judging from amount in there, I'd say it's about one cord...

It was short day, but we both had other things to do today, that we needed to get done...

SR

B386CB31-F513-4856-9625-18569071D22D.jpeg This is my “firewood tractor” and also a great everything else tractor. My wife named this tractor “Brute Jr.” because we have a larger tractor that we call “The Brute”.

This tractor has tremendous power to weight ratio. It is great on fuel. 4wd. Rear differential lock. Foot throttle. R4 tires. Rears filled with beet juice. Balanced front to back very well no matter what I am doing. The only minor concern is no convenient location to mount a tool box.

It is a New Holland 1520 with a NH 110 loader with a bunch of options. Attached you can see the Wallenstein FX85 skidding winch. This is a tremendously well balanced rig. The skidding winch has 165’ of cable and I have a 100’ extension. I also use a couple snatch blocks and some other assorted rigging. This tractor and winch combo pulls enormous logs with ease.

I love everything about this tractor!

I also use the skidding winch on the big tractor with great results.

Best wishes.

The only minor concern is no convenient location to mount a tool box.
Two possible locations are the top of the fender(s) and a cross member between the FEL arms just above the bucket. The 2nd location the box needs a good latch and be certain the FEL has full range of motion without interference.

Back