firewood tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That self release might be priced at gold weight but it's worth it lol
Check to see if you have a Farmi or Norse/Igland dealer , they have they're own version .
I can't reiterate how much I like the self-opener, especially when working alone and winching 150' of wire rope that you don't have a straight pull.
I have several non self-openers that I used to use all the time, I haven't used them in 2 years lol

Wallenstein has their own version as well and it is also priced at gold weight. (I like your descriptive term.) A Farmi or Norse/Igland snatch block certainly would not work with a Wallenstein and vice versa. Ha.

A self releasing snatch block would save some of the back and forth trips when working alone. Almost all of the time I work alone.

The other day, I used a non-self opening snatch bloc all day, BUT my helper was standing near it as it was being used, so no extra walking was required...

I so seldom need ANY snatch bloc, I just haven't put out the kind of money a self opener cost...

SR

SR - I try to avoid the necessity of a snatch block. When I do need one, it is usually a complicated situation that sometimes requires an extension cable and sometimes even a second snatch block. That takes some time to rig. I always charge myself extra for that kind of expertise!

One of these days I will break down and buy one... lol

Here's the corner I was turning the other day,

standard.jpg

You can see the yellow strap in the tree in the back ground,

standard.jpg

That tree in the upper left, we was pulling from way behind it, about 135' out...

SR

The other day, I used a non-self opening snatch bloc all day, BUT my helper was standing near it as it was being used, so no extra walking was required...

I so seldom need ANY snatch bloc, I just haven't put out the kind of money a self opener cost...

SR

Cheaper for me to feed my self releaser than it is for you to feed your auto releaser lol

SR - That looks like a thick tangled area with a lot of brush. Did you snag a lot of clingons while pulling out the logs? You had a nice corner set up. I do it the same way with a strap to pad the tree and keep the log out away to prevent damage to the live tree. Maybe you and I should buy each other self releasers as gifts, then we might not feel so badly about the gold standard price. Ha.

Dancan - I like your comment about cost of the self releasing model compared with paying a helper. What about me - no self releaser and no helper. I’m screwed. Ha.

The ad you posted is the lowest price I have seen. Would using that void a Wallenstein warranty?

Best wishes.

D3D9584E-0712-4C00-B140-A789DCB8711F.png Do you guys have a source for a good skidding plate? Working alone, it would be very helpful to slide around obstacles. And in sensitive areas it would prevent plowing damage and then the need to repair. A hood from an old Vega or other compact car with some sledge hammer and hole punch modifications works for a while.

I found an old reference on the internet for a product someone tried to sell. Apparently it did not succeed. Otherwise, I would buy one if available. “The Log Scoot.” It slides down the chain or cable to the log. The local welders are not interested in making any such item. The only other thing I can find is a plastic cone that I would destroy in short order. If anyone is willing to fabricate one or something similar, lets talk. Any suggestions? Thanks!

IF I have one or two pulls, I don't worry too much about the brush... BUT, if I have a lot of pulls, I walk down the skid trail and cut the over hanging brush out, as I need a good walk trail anyway...

As for paying my helper, he's a big strong guy and worth what I pay him... AND that payment comes in the form of, my milling the logs he brings over here... lol

I get firewood and other help, and he gets his logs milled how ever he wants them milled... It works out nicely for both of us...

Those self releasing blocks don't look like they would be too hard to make...

SR

I'm still in "firewood" mode, cutting and skidding out firewood logs... Then holding them over my wagon, to be cut into firewood lengths,

standard.jpg

and with the wagon full, I pulled it home,

standard.jpg

and EVERYTHING gets pushed through the 4-way wedge,

standard.jpg

and soon, I had another nice pile of splits, two cords in all...

standard.jpg

SR

YA I am playing in the mud also for fire wood. About got every dead elm and close by Ash cut and mostly burnt.

Spring my royal red Azz. just plain and simple agony waiting.

:D Al

Dancan - how has that cone held up? Good idea. I have a couple of those barrels to experiment with.

Al - a wheelbarrow tub may work and I may be able to scrounge one by trading some other worthless treasure for it.

Dave - nice upgrades. The winch is nice and the paint looks good. How is the tire jewelry working? The thumb looks effective.

SR - nice train. I put hitches on the rear of trailers to save trips.

I have been busy too. Finally got the big tractor back from having some work done. Moved the front and rear wheels out wider from the narrow shipping position for stability and chain clearance on the fenders. Had an engine block heater installed. Had the loader installed along with front hydraulics for a grapple bucket and other uses. The loader weight put more torque down onto the ground. The loader uses skid steer attachments and the bucket is 84” wide so it has serious capacity. The loader has breakout force of 5,500 pounds and will lift 3,600 pounds to 10’6”. Did some work and that turbocharged engine with 4wd and the 4x2 synchronized shuttle shift transmission and differential lock make that a serious brute of a tractor. It is very satisfying using such an advanced and powerful tractor. Looking at grapples this week.

Best wishes.

Dancan - how has that cone held up? Good idea. I have a couple of those barrels to experiment with.

Al - a wheelbarrow tub may work and I may be able to scrounge one by trading some other worthless treasure for it.

Dave - nice upgrades. The winch is nice and the paint looks good. How is the tire jewelry working? The thumb looks effective.

SR - nice train. I put hitches on the rear of trailers to save trips.

I have been busy too. Finally got the big tractor back from having some work done. Moved the front and rear wheels out wider from the narrow shipping position for stability and chain clearance on the fenders. Had an engine block heater installed. Had the loader installed along with front hydraulics for a grapple bucket and other uses. The loader weight put more torque down onto the ground. The loader uses skid steer attachments and the bucket is 84” wide so it has serious capacity. The loader has breakout force of 5,500 pounds and will lift 3,600 pounds to 10’6”. Did some work and that turbocharged engine with 4wd and the 4x2 synchronized shuttle shift transmission and differential lock make that a serious brute of a tractor. It is very satisfying using such an advanced and powerful tractor. Looking at grapples this week.

Best wishes.
The cone helps when you're in tight confines and you don't want to take out a lot of trees , rocky or uneven terrain and long winch hauls that you don't see the twitch.
It's another tool that you may not use often but it really helps when you're in a tight spot.
If you're going to make one out of a plastic barrel use a dark one and set it out in the sun on a 90° day , it's a wrestling match with a cold one lol

Dancan - I appreciate how helpful that cone could be in a cluttered area. Right now I have some wind blown pines along a treeline that i want to winch back into the woods. It is a snag filled area, so using a snatch block I will do a reverse pull to draw the trees into the woods. Since I have the equipment I might as well do it the more complicated, but easier way. Your slick cone would make the tree snake right through the snags.

I really appreciate the tip about warming the barrel. After I rough cut the shape, I may put it in my vehicle on a sunny day with the windows up. Then maybe try to use a ratchet strap to form it.

Latest posts

Back