firewood tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MY "Firewood Tractors" today was mostly "wood", but the tractor did get used some, starting with getting this log positioned on the BSM,

standard.jpg

and with the first slab off, my "helper" turned the log,

standard.jpg

And after continuing around the log, I ended up with a three sided "cant", that I split into three 4" thick cant's. With that done, we rolled those three up, took the last slab off and started taking three 1x4's off every pass,

standard.jpg

and continued to take 1x4's until we were down to the last cut,

standard.jpg

And, here's the tally for "that" log,

standard.jpg

So, we chain sawed up all the slab wood laying around, and ended up with a full half cord box of firewood,

standard.jpg

Well, that's it for todays Firewood Tractors!

SR

MY "Firewood Tractors" today was mostly "wood", but the tractor did get used some, starting with getting this log positioned on the BSM,

standard.jpg

and with the first slab off, my "helper" turned the log,

standard.jpg

And after continuing around the log, I ended up with a three sided "cant", that I split into three 4" thick cant's. With that done, we rolled those three up, took the last slab off and started taking three 1x4's off every pass,

standard.jpg

and continued to take 1x4's until we were down to the last cut,

standard.jpg

And, here's the tally for "that" log,

standard.jpg

So, we chain sawed up all the slab wood laying around, and ended up with a full half cord box of firewood,

standard.jpg

Well, that's it for todays Firewood Tractors!

SR
Well done sir! How’s the roof coming?

Well done sir! How’s the roof coming?
Thanks sawjunky, I now have the furring strips, so the whole project can move ahead. I hope to go see the guys that make the steel panels today and talk to the installer too.

I'm looking forward to having it done and over with...

SR

Thanks sawjunky, I now have the furring strips, so the whole project can move ahead. I hope to go see the guys that make the steel panels today and talk to the installer too.

I'm looking forward to having it done and over with...

SR
Keep the posts coming, I enjoy reading the updates and enjoy the photos. I have to pursue my mill ambitions vicariously through you fellas that have them!!

Two of my machines I use for fire wood.

The backhoe is a '61 fordson super major. Has a ford 4 cyl diesel. The hoe has a homemade thumb which is awesome for cutting logs

My other tractor I use for skidding and general work is a '70 david brown 990 55hp diesel

Attachments

• 3657.jpeg
    3657.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 68
  • 3655.jpeg
    3655.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 68
  • 3653.jpeg
    3653.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
  • 3651.jpeg
    3651.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 73
  • 3659.jpeg
    3659.jpeg
    928.8 KB · Views: 72
My barn/shop roof has been done for a while, here's a pict. of it,

standard.jpg

Anyway, I've been moving boxes of firewood,

standard.jpg

and, the other day I took out a couple cedars and moved all the brush/tops out to a brush pile,

standard.jpg

SR

Was on this tractor after dark and my right legs was getting drenched.. At first I thought I spilled my beer, but with every revolution of the tire I would get a new dose. I ruled out beer and went straight to h2o.
Next morning, in the light, discovered my axe had fallen from its perch and got my tire an tube..
Next question was how did all that water get inside that tire?
Investigations proved the obvious.. I know my saws but don't know **** about tractors.
This is a true story. I know cuz I'm a $100 lighter in the pocket.IMG_20180926_155239.jpg

Attachments

• 0611151427-1.jpg
    0611151427-1.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 22
Latest addition to my all purpose firewooding 3 point frame - an aluminum boom. I wanted it to be attached by pins like the rest of my accessories, but ended up using two 3/4" bolts instead. May have to think about it more as it attaches to the same point as my forks so swapping back and forth will not be as easy I would like. Without more front ballast, lifting maxes out around 1500# - according to the wood weight calculator the suspended red oak log is just over 1600#.

Moving these logs out of the small ravine was a dance of a winching, tilting, lifting and wheel action. I just let tension do its job, my tractor is not big enough for brute force.

Ron

IMG_3887.JPG

IMG_3890.JPG

IMG_3892.JPG

IMG_3894.JPG

Was on this tractor after dark and my right legs was getting drenched.. At first I thought I spilled my beer, but with every revolution of the tire I would get a new dose. I ruled out beer and went straight to h2o.
Next morning, in the light, discovered my axe had fallen from its perch and got my tire an tube..
Next question was how did all that water get inside that tire?
Investigations proved the obvious.. I know my saws but don't know **** about tractors.
This is a true story. I know cuz I'm a $100 lighter in the pocket.View attachment 685001

Sometimes sarcasm is cleverly disguised. So not sure about posting this.

But sounds like your tire was loaded, and if you didn't re-load it when you fixed it (thinking not if you got it fixed for $100), you might get a surprise the next time you get some weight in your bucket.

This thing never ceases to amaze me. I want a bigger one but have no complaints with this thing! I think I am getting greedy wanting something bigger.

Nice. I’m the same way, want bigger but can’t complain at all. That high 3 point hookup of yours is the ticket. I do something similar, without that I’d never be able to move what I can move.

Do you use chains? Once the ground freezes mine is useless without chains, seems like yours would be about the same way.

Little tractors can be productive. Like everything, you need to be mindful of limitations and pay attention.

Today, I was meandering through a small patch of woods trying to plot out a skidding path and caught the end of my exhaust pipe on the root of a small uprooted tree - broke the end off my exhaust manifold. $150 for a used one. Probably about the same to have it welded.

Ron

Back