firewood tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine does nicely on the frozen ground. That was the only reason I was out there because the ground was frozen. It’s been a real mess here with all the rain. I couldnt even think about getting to the top portion of my property. That chain hook idea was from this thread. I used to just chain it to my bucket and hope for the best. Ive only had it on for a few months. I really learn a lot being on this sight. Thanks guys!!

Little tractors can be productive. Like everything, you need to be mindful of limitations and pay attention.

Today, I was meandering through a small patch of woods trying to plot out a skidding path and caught the end of my exhaust pipe on the root of a small uprooted tree - broke the end off my exhaust manifold. $150 for a used one. Probably about the same to have it welded.

Ron
The woòds are where you find all the weak points in the armor.
It's amazing what the smallest of branches can rip off a tractor or if you're lucky just whip you on your ear lol

I've been waiting for the ground to freeze up so I can move boxes of firewood up to by the house. The problem is, it's only freezing at night, so I got up early and moved boxes of firewood in the morning, before the ground got too soft,

standard.jpg

We should be "set" for a while now...

SR

Our Firewood Ministry's tractor at work today.

Loaded 15 of these:
IMG_3913.JPG

It is a bit undersized for this trunk even after sectioned.
IMG_3918.JPG

IMG_3929.JPG

You can't see it in the picture but the box blade has a catwalk grate welded inside it with several hundred pounds of scrap steel disks stacked on it. Pretty neat as the tractor is balanced to the loader's capacity and the box remains usable to clean up the mess.

Ron

Our Firewood Ministry's tractor at work today.

Loaded 15 of these:
View attachment 689023

It is a bit undersized for this trunk even after sectioned.
View attachment 689025

View attachment 689026

You can't see it in the picture but the box blade has a catwalk grate welded inside it with several hundred pounds of scrap steel disks stacked on it. Pretty neat as the tractor is balanced to the loader's capacity and the box remains usable to clean up the mess.

Ron

Nice pics! Those compacts really start to be a lot more useful with the rear wheels spaced out as wide as they can go and the right amount of weight hanging off the back.

"more useful with the rear wheels spaced out as wide as they can go and the right amount of weight hanging off the back."

Ain't. That the truth. I was ready to get rid of mine last spring till I changed the tire stance, Went from 53 inches to 66 inches and isn't nearly so scary to drive.

:D Al

Can you imagine the "size" and "quality" of the quarter sawn lumber, that would have come out of that butt log??!!

SR

Probably could have floored my house. I cut too many nice logs into firewood - some are yard trees which I can appreciate why sawmills won’t touch them - but those that are just too big bug me.

I save this nice 17' white oak log a few weeks ago, waiting for some heavier equipment to move and load. I believe it will be turned into whiskey barrels.

IMG_3848.JPG

Ron

Here's a nice uprooted red oak from the same tract that my cutting partner and I turned in to firewood a few weeks ago. I got him hooked on the old MACs. Here he is running the same model as mine. Unlike me who sticks to two sizes of MACs, he runs at least a half dozen different models.

IMG_3844.JPG

Ron

Just what is this. I see a Bota with R4 tires front loader with a grapple.

Those old fergies are nice tractors also for their time, power steering and a front loader would have made them better.

Well I did a bit of updating.
View attachment 697520from this toView attachment 697521why did I wait so long.

Nice. Check to see that the rear tires are set as wide as they can be, provided you can still fit where you need too. Also, make sure you've got enough weight hanging on the three point. For heavy lifting it makes a world of difference. Lastly, Kubotas get delivered fairly often with the loader relief valve set lower than spec. Better than out of adjustment the other way, but after you get some time in the seat, you can check where it's at and adjust if you want.

Edited to note that upon closer inspection I see it's a kioti. Everything I mentioned still applies, except I don't know if they have the same reputation on the loader relief valve. I would also say, if you didn't get the rear tires filled, I'd definitely recommend it.

Well I did a bit of updating.
View attachment 697520from this toView attachment 697521why did I wait so long.

What a up date big difference when you have front loader, live PTO, live HYD and of course that FWA. Like others have said make sure you have plenty of weight on the rear doesn't matter if you use wheel weights, fluid in tires or something heavy on the three point. These newer tractors are light in the tail. Enjoy the new toy.

Looks like a CK35.

I love my NX4510. It was a tough choice between the CK and the NX (which are basically newer versions of the DK series). At the end of the day, the extra size and lift capacity leaned me towards the NX. I'm glad I did as some of the logs I handle are around 2000 lbs, and I also push an 8' plow on the 1000ish foot long driveway. The CK would have been nicer on the lawn, more nimble, took up less space in the barn, and cheaper.

I agree whole heartedly on filling the rear tires. Makes a huge difference with traction, and is much safer on slopes and when picking up heavy objects. The beet juice added 503 lbs to EACH of my 14.9-24 rear tires.

What a up date big difference when you have front loader, live PTO, live HYD and of course that FWA. Like others have said make sure you have plenty of weight on the rear doesn't matter if you use wheel weights, fluid in tires or something heavy on the three point. These newer tractors are light in the tail. Enjoy the new toy.

Wheel weights, fluid, and weight on the three point will all greatly improve stability. But, weight on the three point is the only thing that will help take weight OFF the front axle. The front axle is the smaller, more fragile and more expensive to repair of the two on a tractor, and picking up a heavy load
on the loader shifts a lot of weight front the back of the tractor onto the front axle, in addition to the load you picked up. Heavy rear wheels helps keep everything on the ground, but a bunch of weight hanging off the back levers down on the rear axle and helps avoid over stressing the front axle.

Problem with these compact and sub compacts is wheel weights cost you about twice what it would for a Ford 3000 IH 350 and yes even that little Fergie. When you hang a big weight off the 3 point it make that part of the tractor nearly use less for hanging a rear back blade to quickly plow a little snow from the drive.

Problem with these compact and sub compacts is wheel weights cost you about twice what it would for a Ford 3000 IH 350 and yes even that little Fergie. When you hang a big weight off the 3 point it make that part of the tractor nearly use less for hanging a rear back blade to quickly plow a little snow from the drive.

Yeah, I don't like the idea of just having a dedicated weight box on the back. I'd much rather have a blade like you're talking about, or a box blade or a skidding winch. Sometimes that's enough weight, but you can also add some weight if needed. I usually leave my skidding winch on my Kubota all winter. It's not enough for an effective counterweight, so I either hang some suitcase weights on it or pick up a nice heavy 5' log by putting a choker around each end and carrying it sideways.

Latest posts

Back