firewood tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another sunny nice day here today. So I had a couple "saw logs" in my pile of firewood logs I wanted to save, so me and Jonny,

standard.jpg

had some fun today. We went out and cut those logs out, loaded them on my log hauling running gear,

standard.jpg

and pulled them home,

standard.jpg

I'll be milling them soon, to see just how good they REALLY are...

SR

Ya sunny here on the east side too between snow showers and a howling wind keeping wind chills in thre mid to low 30's most of the day.

Al

Another sunny nice day here today. So I had a couple "saw logs" in my pile of firewood logs I wanted to save, so me and Jonny,

standard.jpg

had some fun today. We went out and cut those logs out, loaded them on my log hauling running gear,

standard.jpg

and pulled them home,

standard.jpg

I'll be milling them soon, to see just how good they REALLY are...

SR
Any pics of that running gear

Late to the party here and waaaaay on the light-duty end of things compared to others on this thread, but sometimes this is our firewood hauler and log-puller: 1947 Farmall Cub and 2019 ABI manure spreader. Prior to last year it pulled a 1940s(?) Ferguson manure spreader, which finally rusted out and fell apart.

Man, I JUST had the ABI brim full of heavy green elm and shingle oak yesterday. Wish I had taken the picture for this thread then. Oh well. Just imagine the wood being in there.3A967398-E63F-4567-A29C-B1B226A7203B.jpeg

It has led a hard life...one of the final drive housings is welded back together from its previous life. I can’t imagine what you could even do with a Farmall Cub to break a final drive housing. Drop it off a loading dock?

It has led a hard life...one of the final drive housings is welded back together from its previous life. I can’t imagine what you could even do with a Farmall Cub to break a final drive housing. Drop it off a loading dock?
Cubs are nice little tractors, but I've seen a few of them broke/welded right in that same spot, so I'd say it just happens to be a weak point in that tractor.

If only they were OHV motors and had a 4 speed tranny, even better with a hi/lo, now that would have been something and I'd have a couple of them, if that were true!!

SR

I have some of them too, but I MUCH prefer the OHV design, like the A's have...

I'm told by a guy that was totally into IH, that the cubs were an IH motor and not a Continental motor, it sure looks like a Conti to me, but he said no...

SR

Cubs are nice little tractors, but I've seen a few of them broke/welded right in that same spot, so I'd say it just happens to be a weak point in that tractor.

If only they were OHV motors and had a 4 speed tranny, even better with a hi/lo, now that would have been something and I'd have a couple of them, if that were true!!

SR

We used to have a International 140 with a 72” Woods belly mower. It was like a scaled-up version of a late-production Cub: Squared-off grille, yellow, but with with OHV. Wish grandpa hadn’t traded that in; I could sure use it around our place now.

Not a thing wrong with a L head 4 banger. Have a bunch of them in continiel form.

Al

The L-head 4-banger in our ‘50 8N hasn’t had much wood-gathering time, but has logged a ton of hours brush-hogging and running a 72” three-point finish mower. Been in the family since the late 50s and currently on its third engine.425066DF-8CE3-4025-A706-3DCB9E7FD87D.jpeg

Attachments

• E2D79B4A-81C0-4CE2-B159-69DE8CD5015D.jpeg
    E2D79B4A-81C0-4CE2-B159-69DE8CD5015D.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8
We used to have a International 140 with a 72” Woods belly mower. It was like a scaled-up version of a late-production Cub: Squared-off grille, yellow, but with with OHV. Wish grandpa hadn’t traded that in; I could sure use it around our place now.
I have a really nice IH 140, with a belly sickle mower... It was bought new by the state of NY to mow their ditches, and they took really good care of it.

Nice tractor, later ones like mine, are even modern enough to have a 12v electrical system...

SR

I cut out this load of firewood logs the other day,

standard.jpg

And, I decided today was the day to get them cut into firewood lengths, so I'd grab one off my log hauling running gear,

standard.jpg

cut part way through it while standing on the ground, then held it over my trailer, or in this case, set it on the trailer,

standard.jpg

and finished the cuts,

standard.jpg

The 562xp really kicked azz today!

standard.jpg

Once I had a load, I grabbed my running gear and headed home,

standard.jpg

and switched tractors to come back for the loaded trailer,

standard.jpg

When I get some time, I'll get them split and into boxes to dry!

SR

i wish i had the ambition of SR. And the land. and trees to cut :)
But i installed a 'soft ride' kit instead.
It was supposed to have been installed delivered on the machine a year ago. Sure makes the loader nice and smooth on the bumps on the road!

Attachments

• 12FD0E4B-9DC5-4C1E-A33B-2055A4E0CE37.jpeg
    12FD0E4B-9DC5-4C1E-A33B-2055A4E0CE37.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 40
i installed a 'soft ride' kit instead.
It was supposed to have been installed delivered on the machine a year ago. Sure makes the loader nice and smooth on the bumps on the road!

I‘m assuming the purchase required you to turn in your man card.

Back