firewood tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my son from last fall. This road was soft on the downhill side and having to back out of it. These situations would benefit from more rear weight. That log was only 6' long, but solid. I have a heavy piece of steel I am thinking about getting cut in half and welded together. The attaching it to the bottom of the winch, that way I can keep it on instead of adding the scrape blade which is a hoss.

View attachment 882473

Shea
Should work. I like keeping the overall length as short as possible for better maneuverability. Since I use my 3 point for lifting, I split the ballast between it and the drawbar. Plus I made the ballast on the winch rig detachable if greater lift capacity is needed.

Ron

Hey chipper, did you notice above, I got a new tractor too...lol Here it is again,

standard.jpg

SR

Hey chipper! I was hoping you were done with the pallet forks by now, I've needed them a time or two since I brought them over... lol

If you get some locust you want to sell of trade, let me know, I could use some more, to cut into boards for a floor for the addition I'm putting on my sawmill shed.

Looks like you've been busy!!

SR
Good morning Rob.
Did you get anything out of that last trailer load of logs.
I just have that one log here now, but it looks pretty nice, I think it's 12'6".
Waiting on a couple telephone poles to put the shed on to drag it with the tractor, doesn't look like I'll get that done until spring now since I was focused on clearing that area for the chicken coop/run. Yep, little busy.
I can bring the forks up anytime.
Hey chipper, did you notice above, I got a new tractor too...lol Here it is again,

standard.jpg

SR
I saw that and was wondering. Congrats.
Picked up a 4' rototiller to do gardens this spring, everyone is going to want one ;).

Well chipper1 that is some good looking firewood for sure. I would like to try some black locust if I ever come across some.
Black locust is great firewood. My woodshed is filled with 80% BL that was cut this spring. I have plenty of it in my woodpile along with hard maple, cherry, red oak all for three seasons from now. The pile is just as wide as in the pic below and about 30' long.
Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 8.33.26 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-01-16 at 12.31.56 PM.png

My woodshed

How much snow load can it handle? I’m thinking of building a woodshed at our mountain place, it could have as much as 4 foot snow pack on it. Hasn’t happened in recent years though. Also, why didn’t you make gaps in the walls like others do? Concerned about driving rain?

How much snow load can it handle? I’m thinking of building a woodshed at our mountain place, it could have as much as 4 foot snow pack on it. Hasn’t happened in recent years though. Also, why didn’t you make gaps in the walls like others do? Concerned about driving rain?
Not sure, we haven't seen 4' of snow here in a long time, winter of 76/77. I haven't put any braces on the rafters or anything on the main joists. The most I've seen on it was about 16", but we could see more although if we did it would probably be much lighter than what we normally get as the bigger storms are lighter snow and not as much lake effect which is heavy.
There are smaller gaps in the wood siding, but if you load a side in the spring that was cut the prior fall it will be two yrs before it's burned so it should be plenty seasoned since the front and back is open.

40-60k for a 60hp tractor with a cab. Tough to get around the wood lot with one as well. Can't say I would complain if I had one.;) View attachment 882346
I've been really happy with my 2120. 40 hp. Suits my needs.
Would like to find that or a 1920 without loader for my woods tractor. Have a 1520 with mower deck and bagger.

@Oldtoolsnewproblems it is a special foam for the purpose of adding ballast and flat resistance, I am not sure in your area, we have a couple of tire shops locally that do it. You will need to more than likely get new rims as well, it usually won't work to try and break a set down thats been filled. The one place around me that fills them is CFI Tire.

Well I still have green on the farm but added some yellow .... Cat 262b 82hp -bucket and forks came with it. I may get a set of rubber tracks for it. Way more useful around the wood yard than the big loader tractor. Going to pick up a grapple for it this week.

Attachments

• IMG_0339.jpeg
    IMG_0339.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 24
  • 63166884503__785D5CDE-C1B0-4520-91B3-A9C137C61DCB.jpeg
    63166884503__785D5CDE-C1B0-4520-91B3-A9C137C61DCB.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 22
  • 63166885710__D079D6F8-1844-422E-885A-FDA96808BFB5.jpeg
    63166885710__D079D6F8-1844-422E-885A-FDA96808BFB5.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
Would like to find that or a 1920 without loader for my woods tractor. Have a 1520 with mower deck and bagger.
That is a great series of tractors. They really punch above their weight. Engines are loud and parts have the NH premium price but mine has been pretty solid. I also appreciate the fact that they are mostly simple mechanical tractors.
Hope you can find one,
Lee

That looks like the old series SAME, mostly tractor, to make a crawler.

That series of tractor was fairly simple and a decent design, but the next series was/is a lot nicer.

SR

When they get stuck in a tree, that's when the real fun starts! lol

And looks like a saw log or two there!

SR

Latest posts

Back