firewood tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up a weight box today. Not sure yet if I want to fill it with concrete or just some rocks with sand. They wanted 650 to fill the tires with beet juice. I plane on using antifreeze that I can get for free. I think about 45 gal per tire at 9 lbs per gal = 405 lbs. Sound about right? Maybe another 450 lbs for weight box.

We fired up the MF135 last weekend , hooked up the beater trailer and off to the woods last weekend .

UV0QBwm.jpg

Nu54jpO.jpg

Even used it as a rolling speedbump slowing down traffic
ldK75Ds.jpg

ISbbWGC.jpg

Nice setup. I do it very similarly. Skid and load onto a hay wagon with my Kubota, then split with a three point splitter on my New Holland.
If were splitting for the sugar house, the 3 foot long stuff we fill the skidsteer bucket and use that cause of a hill and tight quarters, firewood goes right into the one ton dump. That 3 point splitter made things easier on the back forsure.

If were splitting for the sugar house, the 3 foot long stuff we fill the skidsteer bucket and use that cause of a hill and tight quarters, firewood goes right into the one ton dump. That 3 point splitter made things easier on the back forsure.

Funny, the similarities continue. I split 32" long rounds for my syrup cooker. That way I can cut them in half to make 16"s if I run out of stove wood. I put them onto racks I make out of 8' pallets. rps20190118_101704_190.jpg

What size evaporator so you run? How many taps?

What do you do when you want to pull a few logs out of where there's LOT'S of stubs that are hard on tires? Well, what you "don't do", is use a tractor that has "hi-dollar" radials on it!

Here's a couple picts.,

standard.jpg

This tractor has cheapo bias ply tires on it and it does a pretty good job in the woods,

standard.jpg

SR

What do you do when you want to pull a few logs out of where there's LOT'S of stubs that are hard on tires? Well, what you "don't do", is use a tractor that has "hi-dollar" radials on it!

Here's a couple picts.,

standard.jpg

This tractor has cheapo bias ply tires on it and it does a pretty good job in the woods,

standard.jpg

SR

Nice looking tractor SR. Who made that one?

SAME, Italian made...

They are pretty good tractors, good power and heavy built...

SR

I got another question for you, if you don't mind. What's the parts supply like for your deutz machines? I'd like to add a 50-60hp tractor in the next few years. Something diesel and fuel efficient, but not too expensive. I've seen some nice deutzs for a lot less than Ford/New Holland, et al and obviously a fraction of the cost of a Deere.

Funny, the similarities continue. I split 32" long rounds for my syrup cooker. That way I can cut them in half to make 16"s if I run out of stove wood. I put them onto racks I make out of 8' pallets. View attachment 697719

What size evaporator so you run? How many taps?
4x14 with a large ro. 1700 taps all buckets. Did 400 gallons of syrup last year. Best year was 900 in 2013. We have a room that's 16x20 on the end of the sugar house. With that filled to the rafters I figured there's enough there for 600 gallons with the ro. 20180327_115319.jpg

I got another question for you, if you don't mind. What's the parts supply like for your deutz machines? I'd like to add a 50-60hp tractor in the next few years. Something diesel and fuel efficient, but not too expensive. I've seen some nice deutzs for a lot less than Ford/New Holland, et al and obviously a fraction of the cost of a Deere.
I guess it depends on what series of Deutz you are talking about? The 06 and 07 series are legendary in being simple and reliable. They aren't perfect though...

As for parts, one that hasn't been abused, won't need many, but you can find parts at old Deutz dealers, although they are EXPENSIVE!

A nicer tractor that's just as reliable/fuel efficient and more modern and still be a simple design is the 56 series of Agco Allis. If needed, parts are more available and there are AGCO dealers around to get them from. I think they are just as reliable as the older Deutz, have much better brakes and hydraulics and you still see them used for less money than the main line brands...

A 5650 or 5660 would make you smile!

SR

I guess it depends on what series of Deutz you are talking about? The 06 and 07 series are legendary in being simple and reliable. They aren't perfect though...

As for parts, one that hasn't been abused, won't need many, but you can find parts at old Deutz dealers, although they are EXPENSIVE!

A nicer tractor that's just as reliable/fuel efficient and more modern and still be a simple design is the 56 series of Agco Allis. If needed, parts are more available and there are AGCO dealers around to get them from. I think they are just as reliable as the older Deutz, have much better brakes and hydraulics and you still see them used for less money than the main line brands...

A 5650 or 5660 would make you smile!

SR

Thanks for the advice. I checked out those Agcos. Nice looking rigs. There's a couple 5660s on tractor house. About $13k asking price, but they're mfwd and have loaders. I was kinda thinking about an older 2wd in the under $10k range, but honestly, having another loader tractor with 4wd would be awesome and the price difference isn't that huge. I think waiting a little longer and going for something like that 5660 would be worth it versus buying something sooner.

Thanks again!

You might want to take a look at the Allis 180 to the 190XT, good reliable power from 60 to about 100hp on the newer 190xt .
Most are selling for less than 10K now.

I have a Allis D 17 gas that is a good running tractor. No it doesn't have the diff.lock like my 5000 Ford gas but it will do the same work with a 1/3 less fuel used.

:D Al

Back