Firewood Venders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But man, there's hardly any money in it. Guys talking selling 20 cords a year - would that net you even $2000? At 100 per? Would take quite a bit of time & effort for the 'ordinary' guy to get 20 cords up & ready to go.

Push out an average of ~10 cords a week at a 1.5-2k profit and you've got a business clearing ~100k a year.

The key is using equipment and being efficient.

Or the "bigtime" guys... I know a few that move 20+ cords a day.[/QUOTE]

Sell by the stick!!!! We went through about 150 cords last year selling at $1200 a cord in DFW area state parks.......with wood, bags, transportation, swipe fees, labor and the cut to the parks....half of that is profit....it would be higher but I have not invested in the wood production.....I just by by the cord from local guys.

I do that too. You are building a vending machine for me actually.

With winter being ~7.5 months here, having heat is important too.

That is price gouging and hardly ethical IMO. Lots of folks (plenty of repeats too) count on me for their heat.

It'd likely ruin me too, it would spread like wildfire that "that outfit wants $500 a cord". (Or whatever the price)
Then raise your rates all year round but introduce a loyalty system for regulars that offers a discount back to whatever you charge them now. If the additional demand wants it, they can pay more than your regulars or go elsewhere.

Or is that too unethical?

Overhead shot from last year or maybe it was the year before. Looks about the same, some stuff cleaned up more since.

Working on oganizing the logs decks to bring in ~400+ cords from a log sale I'm negotiating.
The pile near the log truck was about 200 cords.

part0.jpg

I sell around 125-130 cords most years on the side from my main job which is teaching. It gives me the summer off to stock pile and get a large percentage of my wood processed. During the summer I hire local teens (some work out and some don't) to help with splitting mostly. I deliver that all on weekends from mid September through early November. On those days, I have a kid helping me load (all done by hand, thrown loose in my dump truck) and he splits when I'm out on the road. I don't have the equipment the OP has but my operation takes up less than 1 full acre of space on my moms farm. I use 2 chainsaws, 1 TW6 log splitter, a John Deere with forks for moving logs, and an f350 to deliver. If I sold all of my equipment (and I couldn't sell the tractor because that belongs to the farm not me) I would have a hard time getting $15,000 for it all.

To the OP, I see you posted your logging equipment, but what do you have for firewood processing equipment?

Can you explain your delivery process in more detail?

Does it stay loose? Is it ever measured, how much you haul? Stacking at the customer?

Wouldn't mind pictures as well if you have any.

That's a lot of wood to hand toss, even if it's never stacked in the truck and just dumped at the customers.

Does it stay loose? Is it ever measured, how much you haul? Stacking at the customer?

That's a lot of wood to hand toss, even if it's never stacked in the truck and just dumped at the customers.
I stacked a measured cord then tossed it in the truck. Then I took spray paint and marked the inside of the truck. I stacked another measured cord then tossed that in as well. Truck was full so I knew that was 2 cords. For the most part, I just dump in driveway.

I have been selling for about 10+ years and I sell about 80 cord a year. Mostly BBQ wood. It seems that firewood is one of those commodity's that everyone thinks should be dirt cheap even though it's not easy or so cheap to produce. Yet there to lazy to do for themselves.
They can shiver in the cold, pay me, or get off there ass and do it themselves. I don't mind helping someone that truly is in need, but so many want to try play the poor victim to try and get over. They pull in here with there brand new 40K truck and want a discount. I tell them I'll give them a discount if I can borrow there brand new truck. That shuts them up.:surprised3:

Process logs, conveyor into truck, stack in truck, dump out at customer's location. 2 cords, No stacking. Do on average 10-15 cords a week.

I stacked a measured cord then tossed it in the truck. Then I took spray paint and marked the inside of the truck. I stacked another measured cord then tossed that in as well. Truck was full so I knew that was 2 cords. For the most part, I just dump in driveway.

Interesting. I can definitely see how that would be quicker than stacking it every time. Do most buy at least a cord at a time?

Process logs, conveyor into truck, stack in truck, dump out at customer's location. 2 cords, No stacking. Do on average 10-15 cords a week.

Everybody always wants it stacked around here.

Some do, but I just tell them sorry, don't have the manpower to do it, need to head back and start on the next order.

If it's local, I pass it on to a friend's kids.

Interesting. I can definitely see how that would be quicker than stacking it every time. Do most buy at least a cord at a time?

It's mostly 1 and 2 cord orders. I get requests to stack but decline on most. If I had the time, it's easy money. Stacking wood off the back of a truck goes way faster than when it's on the ground. I have 1 stack job next week where I have to wheel the wood about 40 feet and it will be $60. I can do it with a helper in about 45 minutes.

It's mostly 1 and 2 cord orders. I get requests to stack but decline on most. If I had the time, it's easy money. Stacking wood off the back of a truck goes way faster than when it's on the ground. I have 1 stack job next week where I have to wheel the wood about 40 feet and it will be $60. I can do it with a helper in about 45 minutes.

Stacking or wheel barrowing and stacking is not so fun. I went up on all my stacking prices this year but the firewood price remains the same. I feel like my stacking price is a little steep but I just don't want to do it. I sell mostly half cords and full cords. Stacking price for 1/2 cords is $50 now and full cords are $100 to stack. If I need to use a wheel barrow it's at least $50 more. Many still want it anyway, I just shut up and do it now....lol

Stacking or wheel barrowing and stacking is not so fun. I went up on all my stacking prices this year but the firewood price remains the same. I feel like my stacking price is a little steep but I just don't want to do it. I sell mostly half cords and full cords. Stacking price for 1/2 cords is $50 now and full cords are $100 to stack. If I need to use a wheel barrow it's at least $50 more. Many still want it anyway, I just shut up and do it now....lol
I agree about not wanting to do it. If I had more time in the fall or sold more in the summer I would stack more because per hour, there's more money in stacking than cutting/splitting.

Back