ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. bigmoose

bigmoose ArboristSite Operative

Does anyone know of any company or individual that comes south or east to buy firewood by the semi load?

farmer steve likes this.
  2. Woody912

Woody912 ArboristSite Guru

Really cannot see it happening right now. There is more dead ash in the Midwest right now than anyone can possibly cut

3. Streblerm

Streblerm Addicted to ArboristSite

Wood tends to be a local market. Many counties have rules about moving wood until it is processed and kiln dried.

4. JeffHK454

JeffHK454 Addicted to ArboristSite

I’m couldn’t imagine firewood being worth near enough to consider trucking it around legally in a 53’ dry box.

The average max load is in the 43,000 to 46,000 lbs. range and a middle of the road cord of hardwood weighs 4,500lbs that gets you roughly 10 cord of wood per dry van?

The going price around me is in the $250 range for a cord of wood so that makes the whole load be worth around $2,500 bucks..I know the per mile rates are pretty good now and that makes trucking firewood cross country not economically feasible.

Woody912 likes this.
  5. woodshax

woodshax ArboristSite Member

Guys in Texas and Louisiana are buying and selling log length oak for between $50 and $80 a ton about 30 tons a truck load. If I had a bigger yard and more processing equipment I would be a buyer..... I go through about 200 true cords a year but get it from local guys split and dumped in Dino Bags and then we skid steer it out and on to trailers

6. lknchoppers

lknchoppers ArboristSite Operative

Usually transporting it very far is a problem, where is the firewood located?

7. woodshax

woodshax ArboristSite Member

JP Firewood out of Menard Tx sends split firewood (non heat treated) to a lot of states (the ones with no "move" regulations) and even out of the country.....he also gets log length post oak at $80 a ton in Texas. American Firewood out of Kirbyville Tx gets oak log length from Louisiana at $50 a ton (don't know exactly were though)