first cut-granberg question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosss

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
When I am setting up the first cut on a 9 foot log with say one end being 14 inches and the other end being 15 or 16 inches with a gentle increase in diameter
With the first cut do I want to be consistent and take the same 1 or 2 inch amount off the whole log
or
do I want to take more off the big end and only a minimum off the small end?

I would most likely milling it as a small slab, leaving the live edge on both sides until the boards are committed to a project.
Not milling to make beams.
Thanks

Every log is different but just consider what will give you the best yield. I normally take off as little as possible to get into the good wood.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

When I am setting up the first cut on a 9 foot log with say one end being 14 inches and the other end being 15 or 16 inches with a gentle increase in diameter
With the first cut do I want to be consistent and take the same 1 or 2 inch amount off the whole logs

I agree every tree is different , but ideally you want the widest slabs to have "the grain running more or less the whole length of the slab"

If you start off with the log rails level with the top of the log only the first couple of (narrower) slabs will have "the grain running more or less the whole length of the slab"
After that you will increasingly get slabs that have grain at an angle to the cut direction.
Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 12.45.10 pm.png

If you start off with the log rails level with centre line of the log length you will the widest slabs with "the grain running more or less the whole length of the slab"
Due to natural grain variation I found this only really maters with short logs with a significant difference between the diameters at each end.

I agree every tree is different , but ideally you want the widest slabs to have "the grain running more or less the whole length of the slab"

If you start off with the log rails level with the top of the log only the first couple of (narrower) slabs will have "the grain running more or less the whole length of the slab"
After that you will increasingly get slabs that have grain at an angle to the cut direction.
View attachment 612106

If you start off with the log rails level with centre line of the log length you will the widest slabs with "the grain running more or less the whole length of the slab"
Due to natural grain variation I found this only really maters with short logs with a significant difference between the diameters at each end.
Good info. Thanks Bob.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

View attachment 612106

Thank you :)
That was kind of what I was after, just didn't know exactly what the difference would be.

View attachment 612106

What you are describing is called grain run-out. Good explanation and graphic.

Back