First new saw in 33 years

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so there is no possible way that driver will ever fit this screw. The driver even after I ground out the opening 30% larger still wont even start on over the round part of the screw. Then about 3/16" down in there the flat sided portion of the screw is even larger than the beginning of the screw . I drew a crude description of the screw shape. In inner "double d" portion of the screw is like a shouldered bolt kind of,... it is much bigger than the beginning of the screw which is way bigger than the interior of the tool I have. They must sell that tool someplace?IMG_1268.JPG

Are you positive that the head of the screwdriver tool isn't too large in diameter? It actually looks bigger on the outside than mine, so I am wondering if it is hitting the casing that surrounds the adjustment screws, rather than bumping on the screws themselves.

Nope that's not an issue plenty of room I just had the same thought,.. it just is way too small. I just sanded about 80% of the "thickened shoulder" off the driver, still no go.
I got the dam thing adjusted this morning with a small pair of needle nose pliers. But I have not put it in wood since. I am also making a tool I will try that the next time I need to adjust it.
It just burns me up to have to start right in working on a brand new saw. It would be sooooo much easier if it were just a slotted screw. I will show the dealer my tool and look at his but I bet he has a much nicer tool than the amazon 4 for a dollar tools I got ha ha.

Well, one way or another you will get to the bottom it, but in the mean time I understand your frustration. I am betting once you get to the dealer things will come together and you will go home with a saw that works for you.

Thanks I hope so , ten minutes ago I was ready to send her on her way,.. get my money back yada yada . In reality I will give it the benefit of the doubt till I can get it back to the shop for it's tune up. I believe I have cured the bogging issue but it does seem to start very poorly.

isn't it ridiculous, like really ridiculous that we are forced to deal with these puzzle nuts on fuel screws. Sheesh.

You may want to ask about that air filter...something I heard about a black mesh filter being a "winter filter" and too coarse for small dust....yours looks pretty fine from what I saw in one of your pictures tho..

mine is felt. I would prefer a fine mesh one. They work perfectly good in my conditions, are easier to clean, and basically never need replacement.

ps, I doubt there is anything at all wrong with your saw, other than carb adjustments.

the filter picture are not from my saw ,they are from CJ's saw. Yea the whole California Emissions thing is just too much. I just want to turn a screw man that's all turn a screw... There is a Winter /Summer heat shield thing in the top cover I switched it over to Winter today. Probably should have done that yesterday when it was below zero hua. I did not go out today but I want to tomorrow. Supposed to be up to 6* tomorrow.

I am actually a fan of the fine mesh filters for my type of cutting, which is exclusively eastern hardwoods (read: clean). They are less restrictive than the flocked filters and much easier to clean.

I have mesh on all my Partners they are the way to go no doubt. In your saw when you take the filter halves apart is there fine dust inside of them? there is in mine. I is -17* here this morning I was counting on going out today but unless it warms up some that aint gonna happen.

-40c here today...

that's -40 in farenheit too. The only temp that farenheit and celsius are the same.

-17f is cold. That's about what we've had for the last week. Yesterday and today are a little colder.

Wow -40 that's dam cold no wood cutting for me at your house. I went out when the temp got up to 0* now 4 hours later it's11* a fricking heat wave ! The Dolmar ran much better today after yesterdays tune. I opened up the low circuit about 1/8 turn. Today it would start idle and rev as it should have in the beginning. I cut some clump maple and opened up around a few mature beech's. I hope the weather holds I will do the same again tomorrow.
The first tree I tried to fall I noticed the saw was dull immediately it was fine the last time I ran it but now it's dull. So off to the saw sled to file the chain. How I ask ya, how do I rock or dull the Right side teeth and not the Left side teeth? ha ha. I do it all the time they definitely hit something. It leads me to believe there must be a higher power at work here,..or maybe a lower power in my case.

It took a while to get the mulcher going after it sat over Christmas for about a week. The sawhands bundled up and hopped on the sleds and had a pretty good day in spite of the weather. Everybody works up here to about -40. After that we start to think about it more...sometimes we shut down or start later in the day.

You learn how to do it, is all. We would die in the desert in the summer...or learn how to do it.

This is more civilized than when we worked no matter how cold it was...like when the alcohol in the thermometer disappeared below the -40 line and hid itself about 1/2 way into the bulb at the bottom and stayed there for a week. Trees explode in the forest. It sounds like gunshots.

That is pretty cool, when you say Mulcher is that the same as a chipper? Do you own a logging company chipping tree length for hog fuel?
It gets cold her but not like at your place Thursday it was -22* in the am a few miles from here. Today it is -11* at 7:30.

Man I bet I would love running that! Down about 8 miles from here a pretty rich fella had about 400 acres cut. A selective harvest sort of thing. Then when they finished up they had 4-5 skid steer's with the mulching attachment on front. They went in and mulched all the brush and ground the stumps down to ground level man that looks nice.

Dozers do a proper job of land clearing. Mulchers not so much.
I suppose that depends on the type of land and what finished product you are after.

Mulchers have come a long way, but they are still a maintenance intensive pos compared to dozers, or most other pieces of equipment.

I have mesh on all my Partners they are the way to go no doubt. In your saw when you take the filter halves apart is there fine dust inside of them? there is in mine. I is -17* here this morning I was counting on going out today but unless it warms up some that aint gonna happen.

When you split the filter on the Dolmar, apply a little grease to the seam. Fixes the fine dust problem.

Latest posts

Back