First post- looking to get a beater 50cc saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
026 is the best handling little saw I've ran. Unfortunately they suck with 3/8 stock, suck fines like a sieve, and the AV is pre-historic.
I converted mine to rim drive and .325. 18" bar it was/is a great little saw save the crappy filter design, and yes I agree about the av.... not the best, but a very capable, and nimble saw nonetheless.

Don't count out a used Husqvarna 545 or 550. They've been out long enough now that they are getting quite easy to find in the used market. These days, there are times that it's easier to find a 545/550 than it is a 346/353, especially one in decent shape. The 357/359 I wouldn't classify as a 50cc saw. Don't get me wrong, they are one of my all time favorite saws, but I grab my 550 many times before my 357xp. It is noticeably lighter and cuts almost as well in most wood below 16".

What about a different chain cover defelector? Not sure what your is equipped with there have been couple different styles over the years, my 2 main saws throw the chips down downwards/out the side when felling then out back which makes them more airborne I found by changing out the plastic deflector on the chain cover it helped reduce that. Windy days are just that though i found

hi I agree with the husky 55. I have a 50 special 51cc and a 51 with a new oem 46mm c/p 5 3cc. these saws are as they say tanks. I dont have 330.00 in both. they have alot of torque and dont use alot of gas. 11.4 lbs. I have had great results. just my .02 chuck

When I think of a beater saw, I vision a rugged inexpensive saw that is there when you need it or to loan out. Not an every day saw that needs the best AV or cutting speed. Along with the a fore mentioned Mac 10-10 and Husky 55, I would add the Homelite Super XL and the Poulan 3400 into the candidate pool.

Thank you everyone for the replies! Sorry I have been so late to get back. Lots on the go with young ones and then today our Creek dried up so there's nothing coming into our cistern and on and on...

I am leaning away from another Stihl as I am annoyed with cleaning out my filter every tank. That is definitely what operating my 461 is like. It is less than a year old and has the black tongue that deflects chips downwards. I have the small baffle in for summer position I believe. I like how well it is built and I'm happy with it running 28" bar and full house chain. I have a winter sock on the filter so I at least don't have to pick as many chips out but it's still a PITA that I feel I shouldn't have to deal with. I mean, if Husky can keep chips out of their filter, then why can't Stihl? Can't be rocket science or is it?
I'd like this second saw to be smaller for throwing in our tinner 14' aluminum boat. It would be nice if it made ok time through the wood. Let's say I want it faster than my 291. Maybe I'm expecting too much but I hate when my 291 starts to get a little dull, it just falls on its face. I don't want to be there forever and a day when I'm bucking 20" Fir. I've got **** to do! I thought maybe a 350 something Husky might fit the bill. Maybe ⅜ chain might be more resilient than .325? Is there much difference between all these 350, 353, 357 and 359 saws? Kinda funny they are so closely spaced and then there's Stihl with 361 59cc? Then 462 71cc then 461 77cc. Could have shoved something in around 65cc?
All these folks recommending a honking air filter- can't I just have a normal one that doesn't suck up chips? Does a big filter add any power?

Is there much difference between all these 350, 353, 357 and 359 saws?
350 is a "homeowner" saw (one of the better ones).
351, 353, 359 are Rancher/Semi-Pro saws (built a bit more solid)
346, 357, are the Pro (XP) saws, built solid & performance tuned.
Power wise (from lowest to highest) it goes 350, 351, 353, 346, 359, 357.
Individually there's not a lot of difference from one to the next, however the 357XP has over 30% more power than the 350

Thank you everyone for the replies! Sorry I have been so late to get back. Lots on the go with young ones and then today our Creek dried up so there's nothing coming into our cistern and on and on...

I am leaning away from another Stihl as I am annoyed with cleaning out my filter every tank. That is definitely what operating my 461 is like. It is less than a year old and has the black tongue that deflects chips downwards. I have the small baffle in for summer position I believe. I like how well it is built and I'm happy with it running 28" bar and full house chain. I have a winter sock on the filter so I at least don't have to pick as many chips out but it's still a PITA that I feel I shouldn't have to deal with. I mean, if Husky can keep chips out of their filter, then why can't Stihl? Can't be rocket science or is it?
I'd like this second saw to be smaller for throwing in our tinner 14' aluminum boat. It would be nice if it made ok time through the wood. Let's say I want it faster than my 291. Maybe I'm expecting too much but I hate when my 291 starts to get a little dull, it just falls on its face. I don't want to be there forever and a day when I'm bucking 20" Fir. I've got **** to do! I thought maybe a 350 something Husky might fit the bill. Maybe ⅜ chain might be more resilient than .325? Is there much difference between all these 350, 353, 357 and 359 saws? Kinda funny they are so closely spaced and then there's Stihl with 361 59cc? Then 462 71cc then 461 77cc. Could have shoved something in around 65cc?
All these folks recommending a honking air filter- can't I just have a normal one that doesn't suck up chips? Does a big filter add any power?
Stihl has the new MS400, which is 66.8 CC and weighs 12 and a half pounds or so.

Stihl has the new MS400, which is 66.8 CC and weighs 12 and a half pounds or so.
Yes this is true, not that I am in the market for a saw in that price range. I brought it up with the local Stihl dealer a month and a half ago and he had not heard of it. Probably good thing Stihl made an offering in that bracket.

I have a ported Husky 350. Great saw. I would not put a 3/8 on it. .325 is perfect for it. Currently run an 18" bar, but would prefer a 16".
Now the 55 Rancher will pull an 18" 3/8 just fine. They came with a 20" 3/8.
A 357 probably will too, but I have not run one.

Oh they do have something else, its the Stihl MS400, as light as your 362 with 67cc s.
But if you want a good beater saw to take in a boat, then get a Dolmar 421 or Makita EA4300, they are the same saw,
and if you want more power, get it ported, there is no other option to keep the weight down, less buy a 50 cc saw and
be done with it, the Makita EA5000 is about the best 50cc saw for the money, and it has a normal carb, they and their
older version do come up for sale from time to time, but new, they are great value. Echo 501p is lighter but more expensive.
All pro saws I have mentioned.
Here is the Makita EA4300 cutting what you would use a bigger saw on, but it eats it.

350 is a "homeowner" saw (one of the better ones).
351, 353, 359 are Rancher/Semi-Pro saws (built a bit more solid)
346, 357, are the Pro (XP) saws, built solid & performance tuned.
Power wise (from lowest to highest) it goes 350, 351, 353, 346, 359, 357.
Individually there's not a lot of difference from one to the next, however the 357XP has over 30% more power than the 350
The 353 and 359 and identical to the 346 and 357 respectively, besides the cylinders which makes the 346 and 357 pro models. I wouldn't shy away from any of them, but if you wanted 3/8 pulling power I wouldn't be after the 353 or 346.

I rebuilt the top end on a Husky 51 anniversary edition and it pulls a 20", .325" gauge cjain with no difficulty. I sold it for $250 and the owner loves it. I also like this vintage Echo CS-4500 that I restored, but they are really hard to find:
Echo CS-4500.jpgNo chain brake because that was an option back then. It has a oiler goose pump control and the idle can be adjusted without a screwdriver. I like this saw, and it competed rather well with the Stihl 028.

Latest posts

Back